Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Atlantic Salmon Question  (Read 8159 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Atlantic Salmon Question
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2005, 03:18:54 PM »

This is a link to Ministry of water, land and air protection of what they want anglers to do with exotic specie

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/ethics/exotic.html

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2005, 03:53:53 PM »

The post-glacial divergence between brown trout and atlantic salmon is a pretty interesting subject. Even just within the brown trout species, there are at least ten variations.

When Linnaeus in Sweden started his classification work, he came up with three types of brown trout: S.trutta, the trout of large rivers; S.fario, the trout of small brooks; and S.criox, the migraratory sea trout.

A few years ago a Buddy of mine-who is a Swede-was back there and fished from the Arctic Circle to the Baltic Sea.
He has pictures of two very distinct types of Brown Trout caught in the same river.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 04:56:17 PM »

I believe that the brown trout adipose fin is spotted, while atlantic adipose fins are not.  ???

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 05:52:12 PM »

I have only seen and caught an "Atlantic" once,Vedder river at the gun barrel several years ago.I have seen dozens in the U.K. I would say the huge black spots are what first catches the eye,even on the gill plates large scales no spots on the tail, never counted them but are supposed to have between 8 - 11 rays on the anal fin .the fish I caught was very ragged, tail, dorsal, and pectoral fins were all cluby, especially the tail this fish was given to the hatchery as per regs.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!