Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vintage Abu 5001C  (Read 1582 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Vintage Abu 5001C
« on: October 08, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »

1986 Abu Garcia 5001C (left hand). This reel has to be seen in person to be appreciated. 9.5/10 condition. I bought it about 10 years ago. I wanted to fish it so I took it into Express Reel and paid $40 to have it checked over and cleaned. Shop said looks like it had never been fished. I took it out 3-4 times for coho. It worked flawlessly. Everything is 100% perfect. It has a couple tiny little scratches that you have to look closely to see. Comes with original box, manuals, and tools. On Ebay the going rate for this same reel seems to be about $225 Canadian for something beaten up, with no box, parts, or manuals.
This reel is probably best suited for collectors, but you could absolutely take it out and fish it for salmon or steelhead and it would kick the crap out of most new junk level winds.

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/for/d/chilliwack-west-vintage-abu-garcia-5001c/6995212852.html

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Vintage Abu 5001C
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 09:38:54 AM »

1986 Abu Garcia 5001C (left hand). This reel has to be seen in person to be appreciated. 9.5/10 condition. I bought it about 10 years ago. I wanted to fish it so I took it into Express Reel and paid $40 to have it checked over and cleaned. Shop said looks like it had never been fished. I took it out 3-4 times for coho. It worked flawlessly. Everything is 100% perfect. It has a couple tiny little scratches that you have to look closely to see. Comes with original box, manuals, and tools. On Ebay the going rate for this same reel seems to be about $225 Canadian for something beaten up, with no box, parts, or manuals.
This reel is probably best suited for collectors, but you could absolutely take it out and fish it for salmon or steelhead and it would kick the crap out of most new junk level winds.

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/for/d/chilliwack-west-vintage-abu-garcia-5001c/6995212852.html

:'( You're making me tear up.  This was my first salmon reel 27 years ago, I had it paired with a 10&1/2 foot Shimano mooching rod.  After 10 years or so something malfunctioned so I took it apart to try to see what needed to be replaced.  It sat disassembled in a box for years, and then it disappeared.  Wish I could find it again to get it repaired . . .  Beautiful reel.   

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 10:35:47 AM »

Wow no kidding? Well, this little gem here is about the nicest one you will find short of being brand new in the box. Lots on ebay etc but they all look pretty rashed up and ppl still want $225 CAD for them.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 11:13:20 AM »

This was my first baitcaster as well, loved the reel.  It caught a ton of fish and now belongs to my friend Milo!

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »

Yes it is a classic. Like I said I did fish it a few times as I just had to try it out and it worked flawlessly. I just know I'm never going to fish it again, it's in too nice of condition. I'm not a collector so I figure might as well pass it on to someone who will get some enjoyment out of it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »

Cohojake sent you a PM over messenger on this site.