Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WTB: Heavy power baitcasting rod(s) for the Fraser  (Read 1380 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
WTB: Heavy power baitcasting rod(s) for the Fraser
« on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:41 AM »

I'm looking for one, or ideally two, strong baitcasting rods that I can use on the Fraser for tossing big lead for bar fishing and bottom bouncing.

I have two float fishing rods that are suitable for big Chinook on the Vedder, etc, but even the more powerul one which is an 11"6 Shimano Technium. I don't have it in front of me but I believe it is a med-heavy power, 12-25 line weight. It'll work, but it feels underpowered with a big fish on in the strong current. Also it is not made to toss weights in the 4oz range.

So, I'm looking for something with the following specs:

Length: About 10 feet
Power:  Heavy
Lure weight: 1-6oz or so

It MUST be a baitcasting rod as I'll be using a level wind reel. And like I said ideally I'm looking TWO rods as the misses comes with me to the Fraser the odd time. I don't care too much about the brand as long as the rods(s) are in decent condition and have the appropriate specs.

Nitroholic

Re: WTB: Heavy power baitcasting rod(s) for the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »

your technium has plenty of power

rickjames_2

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »

Your 11'6 Technium is pretty much the go to rod for that fishery and is only underpowered if you hook a seal, sturgeon, or floating tree. It's wrapped in kevlar so you know it's good  ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »

Well, yeah, it probably does. However it's rated to toss up to I think 2oz, maybe a bit more. With a 4oz+ betty on it feels pretty overloaded when casting. I have hauled in a few big springs without any major issues. Would just like a rod(s) with more power to better do the job.

Was looking at a Shimano Clairus for $120 that came in heavy power, 1-6oz lure weight, 10-30lb line, 10 feet long. Would work well but I want 2 rods so taxes in I'm looking at $260-ish taxes in. Considering I only hit the Fraser a few times a year I don't want to spend this much. If I don't get any bites on used ones I may just bite the bullet and buy new.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »

Your 11'6 Technium is pretty much the go to rod for that fishery and is only underpowered if you hook a seal, sturgeon, or floating tree. It's wrapped in kevlar so you know it's good  ;D

Normally I err on the light side when it comes to what rod I'm going to fish. However when on the Fraser I want max power. Sucks when you have to walk under a bunch of guys to play out your spring at the end of the line. I'm a big strong guy and I reckon with a rod with a bit more power I could really put the power to a big spring and turn it around right in it's tracks.

With the 11"6 Technium I've had it bent right down to the cork on the Fraser like a 3wt fly rod(!) Just seems a bit short on power.

I also had the drag upgraded to carbontex on my 7000 Abu. Should have lots of drag power now. Now need more rod power!