Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano Calcutta Question  (Read 1696 times)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Shimano Calcutta Question
« on: December 26, 2006, 11:52:36 AM »

Hey there.  I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas!  I got a lovely new Shimano Calcutta CT 200B for Christmas.  What a beautiful little reel.  I do have a question for those who are familiar with Calcuttas...

I noticed that the levelwind does not move when the cast bar is pressed down and the reel free spools (e.g. during a cast).  The levelwind does re-engage when I start to reel line in.  This is much different from my Abu's in which the level wind does move in sync with the outgoing line during the cast.  Is this how the Calcutta is supposed to work - or do I have a problem with my new reel?  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Shimano Calcutta Question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 12:28:06 PM »

The calcuttas that are narrow like the  calcutta 250, etc.  or smaller work that way. The wider calcuttas  (300, 400) work like your other reel so to answer your question there is nothing wrong with it.  I'm sure you will love the ease in which it will cast.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »

Yup, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 01:45:01 PM »

on narrow spools, you can get away with your line not sinking to the level wind if a fish makes a big run.  its a good feature...if you think of small reals, generally you are using smaller finesse presentations (ie LIGHTER)...havinging the level wnd disengaged totally for these smaller reals means those light rigs will be easier to cast as the friction from a moving level wind is eliminated.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 03:06:27 PM »

Thanks guys!  What you all described certainly makes sense.  Cheers!   :)  BTW - the reel was a present from my wife!  I plan on using it on smaller systems like Vedder, Chehalis, or even the Cap.  It's spooled up with 12 lb mono.  Target species - coho and steelies...