Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saltspring lakes in late March?  (Read 2579 times)

gman

Saltspring lakes in late March?
« on: February 17, 2007, 12:17:21 PM »

I'm making some plans for a family trip for spring break (late March).  A couple of families are going including 4 kids that like to fish. This time of year is a bit early for the usual places we take the kids trout fishing.  Saltspring Island is nice, and I thought spring might come a bit earlier there. I have fished the lakes on Saltspring in late April with good results, and wondered what it would be like in late March. Anyone advice or suggestions appreciated...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Saltspring lakes in late March?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 12:19:42 PM »

gman, you should wait for another month as some of us are planning a weekend group trip in late April. :-\ It is a bit early for smallmouth bass at St Mary's Lake, but others would know better as my trips there have always been done in late spring. The piers should provide some good pile and stripe perch fishing.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »

I'm going there for a week starting next Saturday.   I will be fishing Campion, Westin, Stoval, as well as St. Mary.  I'll let you know how how it works out.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:00:52 PM »

Sorry, gman, I'm in the process of postponing that trip until Mid March because the weather forecasts are predicting really miserable weather for next week.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:33:34 PM »

I just got back from a week on Salt Spring.  Fishing was slow.  Really slow, although we caught a few cutthroat at Cushion and some rainbows at St. Mary Lake.  We only caught three bass. 

gman

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

We did go to Saltspring over the weekend. Weather was bad for most of the trip. We fished a bit, but it was slow. ONly saw one other boat fishing on St Marys - it was two guys with an electric motor and they did catch one nice bass one day. I'm sure it will be better in a few weeks.

We stayed at Green Acres and had an enjoyable couple of days with the family.

We are planning a return trip, possibly late APril or early May. Rod, when will you be over there and where will you be staying? Maybe we'll see you....

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 12:11:21 AM »

Too bad about the fishing, we need some warm days. :-\

gman, originally we were considering Easter weekend but we might wait for a couple more weeks. When we go, we will stay at Lakeside Gardens Resort.

http://www.lakesidegardensresort.com/

If interested, we can plan out something so we would end up there on the same weekend. :)