Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: this isnt for the weak of heart  (Read 13740 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: this isnt for the weak of heart
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 01:19:14 PM »

Xgolfman, DennisK is saying that the removal of predators on top of the food web causes an imbalance that may take a long time to achieve equilibrium. The bottom of the oceanic foodweb is the phytoplankton, which makes up the primary oxygen producer on this planet. By taking away those that predate consumers of phytoplanktons (I'm skipping some steps here, the food chain has a lot more steps than just three), you're ultimately causing an oxygen depletion.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »

Xgolfman, DennisK is saying that the removal of predators on top of the food web causes an imbalance that may take a long time to achieve equilibrium. The bottom of the oceanic foodweb is the phytoplankton, which makes up the primary oxygen producer on this planet. By taking away those that predate consumers of phytoplankton's (I'm skipping some steps here, the food chain has a lot more steps than just three), you're ultimately causing an oxygen depletion.

I understand that Rod, but that is a huge leap to make the statement he is....and to make it in such a condensending way is just ridiculous.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 03:01:28 PM »

and to make it in such a condensending way is just ridiculous.

Perhaps I am already aware of the problem Dennis addressed, because I can't seem to see it as condensending, and I've read it several more times after you pointed out too.

I actually have quite a bit to say regarding this topic, but it is difficult to have a frank discussion on a complex issue when the participants come from a wide range of educational background and age, so I have and will continue to restrain myself from it.

One thing I will point out though after reviewing the petition letter. Which organization is behind the petition? Who is Pedro Oliveira? The privacy act is also very vague. The problem with online petition is that names and emails can be created to generate petition count. Would the authority that the petition is presented to recognize its validity? What would motivate the Prime Minister of Japan to cease such practice when his own people, who keep him in power, are not voicing the same view?

Goal achievement should be fueled by passion, but a game plan is needed to guarantee success.

Interesting that my link to a site discussing sexual relations with dolphins gets moderated (deleted).

I ask myself that too quite a few times before and after deleting it. There were a few complaints. I think the only explanation that I can give you is the difference in context between the two. The movement against animal cruelty is socially acceptable and people want to talk about it. Sexual relations with dolpins is not socially acceptable, I think... and it generates comments such as what you find in Derp's post, which basically derails the original subject. Whenever a discussion forum has a core group of teens participating, it is my responsibility to restrict some material so the quality of the forum does not drop. Perhaps the topic is more appropriate in a discussion forum where only adults are permitted.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »

Sexual relations with dolpins is not socially acceptable

:o :o :o :o :o it isnt ?   :-[

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 03:19:28 PM »

the argument here folks is how we mis-manage our resources. the true ignorance and misinformation was the one made where the overall summary of the ocean's plight was leading to world's imbalance and demise.  everything in this world goes hand in hand. from the retraction of the polar ice caps which create an imbalance to the weather and world mean temperature....to the deforestation of our old growth and rain forests which is key to photosynthesis and the filtration of our existing air. there are alot of factors.

ignorant is the conclusion made of imbalance, when the argument itself is perforated with incomplete facts based on bias and backed with insulting insinuations.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »

So your saying fish provide the oxygen that we need to survive??? What complete CRAP!!!! The part of the food chain that is the most damaged is the lower end, the basic foods the fish eat. Without them, all the fish are hurt...look at your Howe sound....Everything else your stating is total B.S.

You may want to educate yourself about this. I'm not a marine biologist but read enough on this topic to understand the relationships are critical for life on this planet (assuming we can't figure out how to get by without oxygen). Here's a link about the "crap":

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0607_040607_phytoplankton.html

"In the process of photosynthesis, phytoplankton release oxygen into the water. Half of the world's oxygen is produced via phytoplankton photosynthesis. The other half is produced via photosynthesis on land by trees, shrubs, grasses, and other plants."

And 90% of the world's shark population has been destroyed by man in about 60 years.  Pretty disgusting when you consider they have been here 400 million years.

And from a marine biologist who recently made a film about sharks:

"Stewart said a lack of sharks will allow the proliferation of many of the species’ prey. An over-abundance, or lack of, various species like plankton, seals, porpoises and whales – all prey for sharks – could throw the ocean’s habitat into the spin cycle, he said.

“We rely on plankton to help manage and recycle the level of CO2 in the air,” he said. “So basically we rely on them for the air we breathe.” "

http://www.saanichnews.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=28&cat=23&id=859098&more=
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 07:16:32 AM by dennisK »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 06:47:13 AM »

the argument here folks is how we mis-manage our resources. the true ignorance and misinformation was the one made where the overall summary of the ocean's plight was leading to world's imbalance and demise.  everything in this world goes hand in hand.

Actually we're the last hominids on this planets - there have been several before us and the world has survived. It's an overstatement to say "everything" is connected hand in hand for absolute perfect harmony ~ I can point out how crucial dolphins/sharks are ~ but pandas or some owls for example (apart from being cute) won't affect our oxygen supply in a critical way.

And personally I'm very afraid of pandas.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »

So your saying fish provide the oxygen that we need to survive??? What complete CRAP!!!! The part of the food chain that is the most damaged is the lower end, the basic foods the fish eat. Without them, all the fish are hurt...look at your Howe sound....Everything else your stating is total B.S.

You may want to educate yourself about this. I'm not a marine biologist but read enough on this topic to understand the relationships are critical for life on this planet (assuming we can't figure out how to get by without oxygen). Here's a link about the "crap":

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/06/0607_040607_phytoplankton.html

"In the process of photosynthesis, phytoplankton release oxygen into the water. Half of the world's oxygen is produced via phytoplankton photosynthesis. The other half is produced via photosynthesis on land by trees, shrubs, grasses, and other plants."

And 90% of the world's shark population has been destroyed by man in about 60 years.  Pretty disgusting when you consider they have been here 400 million years.

And from a marine biologist who recently made a film about sharks:

"Stewart said a lack of sharks will allow the proliferation of many of the species’ prey. An over-abundance, or lack of, various species like plankton, seals, porpoises and whales – all prey for sharks – could throw the ocean’s habitat into the spin cycle, he said.

“We rely on plankton to help manage and recycle the level of CO2 in the air,” he said. “So basically we rely on them for the air we breathe.” "

http://www.saanichnews.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=28&cat=23&id=859098&more=

So did YOU actually read the article or just the first paragraph and then go off half cocked again???  phytoplankton photosynthesis is discussed and as it states can be increased by adding iron but worries scientists as it could lead to warmer climate conditions by doing so....I'm not getting "educated" at all to your argument here that japans taking of dolphins cruelly has one damn to do with your previous statement.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2007, 04:41:11 PM »

Actually we're the last hominids on this planets - there have been several before us and the world has survived. It's an overstatement to say "everything" is connected hand in hand for absolute perfect harmony ~ I can point out how crucial dolphins/sharks are ~ but pandas or some owls for example (apart from being cute) won't affect our oxygen supply in a critical way.

actually, it's not an overstatement.

ie... the study of frogs and their decline due to air pollution and its correlation to the acidity levels of their habitat, have been documented and monitored.  the health of their ecosystem is noted as an early detection of our environment's deterioration. this, because frogs and other amphibians are the most sensitive towards change in toxic levels.

the overproduction of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and change in weather patterns, the rise of 1 degree in the mean temperature...all contribute to the effect of global warming.

overpopulation, overdependence of antibiotics, super viruses, famon......take your pick.

...and you believe that the killing of dolphins and sharks are the biggest problem we have?  i think believing nothing goes hand in hand is the biggest over statement.

(cause + effect) x  management of resources = balance