Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Mud Today, Sept.16  (Read 1705 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fraser Mud Today, Sept.16
« on: September 16, 2006, 06:13:10 PM »

As I arrived at Island 22 for an afternoon barfishing trip with 2:40 and my grandson I was surprised to see the water the colour of a double double without the cream. I remember that some up river locations had a good dump of rain this past week so I guess this was the reason for the June like conditions. I also was surprised to see the parking lot choked full of trucks and trailers. Had sockeye opened again I briefly thought. ;D

In getting ready to launch Steve came in and reported they had picked up a couple of nice springs and missed a couple of others so I thought a trip up to Maple Leaf Bar #1 might be worth a try with the visibility being a bit better there being just below the Harrison River.

We had the bar to ourselves except for 3 flossers and a seal that was searching for a fish just like us.

We spent a couple of hours there but except for Jamie missing a couple of pike minnows our rods remained silent. The weather was just great with a touch of fall now in the air aided by the sight of the first dusting of snow visible on Mt. Cheam and Lady Peak. The Fall fishing season is on the way with the sockeye opening now a distant memory to most. ;D ;D

2:40 captured some nice photos of some turkey buzzards feeding on a dead sockeye. Talking about the dead sockeye that were reported on another thread. We never saw one floating by today but   we were only out a couple of hours and the report was fish dying in the Thompson so maybe they had not reached our area yet.

All and all a nice day to be out once again for a short trip on the Mighty Fraser.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 06:30:16 PM by chris gadsden »

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
Re: Fraser Mud Today, Sept.16
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 11:11:14 PM »

Here's the pictures of the turkey vultures we saw. Soon they'll migrate south for the winter (most will anyway) and not return until May or so.

Bar rods held proudly at high port!!!  ;D

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 11:23:48 PM »

No wonder you didn't catch anything today Chris. Next time try putting the spin n'go in the water. ;D

Youngin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 03:00:20 AM »

I guess he thought the fish would just jump in the boat :D

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 06:12:26 AM »

No wonder you didn't catch anything today Chris. Next time try putting the spin n'go in the water. ;D

You also have to get rid of that silly hat ;D. I am positive that will help. ::)

Pat AV

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 07:45:15 AM »

Cool pics of the turkey vultures, I always see them soaring about on the winds but have never been lucky enough to get that close!
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 09:25:29 AM »

Cool pics of the turkey vultures, I always see them soaring about on the winds but have never been lucky enough to get that close!
Yes 2:40 got some excellent photos that for sure and glad he shared them here.

That in its self made the trip worth while, proving the point you do not have to catch a fish to make the trip successful but as a couple of members said it would have been helpful if we got the rods in the water. ;D ;D