Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: squeeky fishing reel  (Read 1700 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
squeeky fishing reel
« on: September 03, 2006, 05:27:57 PM »

I have a C4 and it squeeks when I cast. Could some one tell me how to stop the squeeks and where to oil the thing ?

oddjob

• woof woof
Re: squeeky fishing reel
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 07:11:38 PM »

after you left we started to cast,cast after it went into a snag.we stayed there about 1/2 hour then we moved down stream about 200 feet. we left about 12:30 I cought 1 but my buddy still has no socks this season yet. he lost 15 weights an hooks. now as for the squeeky reel I will try oil the thing as instructed .  thanks for the help infishinf and the oiling of the reel   

Oddjob ( Lyle )

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 07:16:52 PM »

Take of the side plate without, that reeling handles, and oil all the gear and what not. worked for me ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 11:22:18 PM »

I had that problem with my 6500 C3.  The casting button was also sticking, and I took the reel apart but couldn't get it back together again!  I got a very good lesson from a guy from another forum on how to take apart the reel and clean it out (cheers to "abbyfireguy" from BC Fishing Reports).  What a skill to have developed!  If you haven't taken apart a baitcaster before - beware!  Anyway, you can likely download a nice schematic of your reel from Mike's Reel Repair website.  Anyway, my 6500 C3 works like it's brand new!  I also just restored (cleaned) a vintage Abu 6500 C (early 1970's) that was given to me be my great uncle.

One thing to note - don't let water from the Fraser River into your reel (e.g. don't let your reel go for a swim).  The water will evaporate, leaving the silt behind that will damage the reel's parts, in addition to being "noisy".

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 11:48:13 PM »

I can never understand why fishermen submerge their reels in the water when they are taking pictures of their fish. Just asking for trouble.