Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is anyone going to try some new things for Coho this year?  (Read 7157 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Is anyone going to try some new things for Coho this year?
« on: September 02, 2006, 01:07:46 PM »

Since, we still don't have a clue what this fishery may bring this year, I was wondering if anyone is going to try something new this year?  I for one am going to try tossing more spoons and metal.  It is something that I haven't really done much of in the past, but I did see success out of some anglers last year.  Since finding the Coho might be a tough as finding Steelhead at times, I figured that I should expand my arsenal and see what I come up with. ;)
 Anyone else have any ideas? If so and you wouldn't mind sharing, post it up!! ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Youngin

• Old Timer
Re: Is anyone going to try some new things for Coho this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 01:12:32 PM »

I remember chucking spoons was the only thing I did at harrison.. it worked real well.. that was like 3 years ago tho.. and I wasn't really experienced and before I knew it the line snapped or I tangled up :P now I just use colorado blades roe or wool :D I've only had succcess on wool last year :( and I lost them all
this year I'm going to try roe more

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 01:14:38 PM »

Like BS, I'm going to try more spoons and spinners.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:20:37 PM »

I caught my coho last year on spinners only, #5 blue fox's...they would hit them over most of the bait guys...This year...I'm going fly, interesting you started this thread as I've been thinking the same thing too...I've tied up a few Kelly's koho killers...but would love to see some flies guy's would also recommend..
here's the b.f. i used..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 01:24:18 PM by golfman65 »

James

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 01:45:09 PM »

I am going to try to use Roe exclusively instead of Wool . I never used roe much in the past due to its 'high matinence qualities'. But this year , I have more time .

I would also like to give spoons more of a chance , although , I tend to not fish were there are many deep pools .

Other than Blue Foxes , any other "Must have Spoons/Spinners" out there ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

;)

More tidal Fraser time this year. ;) If the clarity stays or even improves in the next two months, it is going to be heaven. :D Not just for coho, but freshly arrived chum salmon too. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »

3/8 oz. Fire Wing copper Krocodiles and Rodney spoons

James

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 01:59:15 PM »

Would you recomend any of your spoons/spinners for the veddar/wack system ?

Feel free to pm me any info about which ones  . I am pretty clueless when it comes to the spoons etc.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 02:40:27 PM »

Im gona try using a set NET! ::)
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 03:20:54 PM »

Feel free to pm me any info about which ones  . I am pretty clueless when it comes to the spoons etc.

James, I rarely use spoons and spinners on the Chilliwack/Vedder River as I like to float fish with roe. That being said, I have friends who fish quite successfully with spoons and spinners in this system. I have seen Gibbs fire stripe crocs have produced in the past while roe fails. Those Blue Fox Pixie spoons apparently work wonderfully when the fish are coming in thick as well.

I do pretty much all of my spincasting in the tidal Fraser/Richmond area and a few other river systems, where water has moderate or no current. At locations where current does not exist, I do well with the spinners that I posted above. Pink blade ones work particularly well in the past. It also depends on water clarity of course. I like to go silver body for good clarity, while copper body and blade for darker water. After testing blades of all sizes, size 4 French blade has been the best for me so far.

For water with a bit of flow, ie, tailout etc, I like to go with a big spoon (1/4 - 1/2oz). A broad spoon immitates small fish that like to take advantage of the abundance of salmon eggs. They like to sit in tailout and peck on eggs that are being dropped into redds. Male coho salmon would attack these fish at times to protect the eggs, therefore most of my spoon-caught coho have been male. That's my own theory of course. ;) Orange or pink striped spoons have worked well for me in the past. In water that is extremely clear, blue and green striped spoons appear to be better.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 03:29:20 PM »

James, I rarely use spoons and spinners on the Chilliwack/Vedder River as I like to float fish with roe. That being said, I have friends who fish quite successfully with spoons and spinners in this system. I have seen Gibbs fire stripe crocs have produced in the past while roe fails. Those Blue Fox Pixie spoons apparently work wonderfully when the fish are coming in thick as well.

I do pretty much all of my spincasting in the tidal Fraser/Richmond area and a few other river systems, where water has moderate or no current. At locations where current does not exist, I do well with the spinners that I posted above. Pink blade ones work particularly well in the past. It also depends on water clarity of course. I like to go silver body for good clarity, while copper body and blade for darker water. After testing blades of all sizes, size 4 French blade has been the best for me so far.

For water with a bit of flow, ie, tailout etc, I like to go with a big spoon (1/4 - 1/2oz). A broad spoon immitates small fish that like to take advantage of the abundance of salmon eggs. They like to sit in tailout and peck on eggs that are being dropped into redds. Male coho salmon would attack these fish at times to protect the eggs, therefore most of my spoon-caught coho have been male. That's my own theory of course. ;) Orange or pink striped spoons have worked well for me in the past. In water that is extremely clear, blue and green striped spoons appear to be better.

And which ones am I getting?? ;D ;D  I have some spots picked out for them already!! ;)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 05:32:34 PM »

I like my new blue colorado blades. They are really hard to find. I like to fish them with a float. The coho just can not seem to ignore them. And boy do they slam these guys  ;D ;D ;D ;D.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

flyguy44

• who's a lama
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 09:31:01 AM »

Rolled Gold Muddlers with a touch of flashaboo.  Tied sparsley , Don't leave home without them
 ;)
ANY DAY ON THE RIVER IS A GOOD DAY

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 03:43:17 PM »

I like my new blue colorado blades. They are really hard to find. I like to fish them with a float. The coho just can not seem to ignore them. And boy do they slam these guys  ;D ;D ;D ;D.
oh GT, I found you some!!  I'll get them to you on tuesday!! ;)

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 05:50:58 PM »

#3-5 blue foxs. Orange body with silver blade or all silver/brass is almost only what i use. Spoons if the waters high. Fishing metals fun but this year im going to try and swtich over to the fly a bit. They would be a blast on a 6 wt. ;D i havent got one on the fly "...I've tied up a few Kelly's koho killers..." golfman i have a fly?  ;D can you please post a pic of what these look like