Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boundary Markers Mark Salmon Closures On The Fraser River  (Read 4456 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Boundary Markers Mark Salmon Closures On The Fraser River
« on: September 01, 2006, 11:09:23 AM »

Recieved word that there will be boundary signs erected on the Fraser River just below the Jesperson Boat launch (about 3 km above the confluence of the Harrison River). The area above these markers will be closed to salmon fishing starting on September 7th until October 9th or further notice.

Check the FOC web page for complete details, these regulations should be posted sometime today if they aren't already.

Barbless

Re: Boundary Markers Mark Salmon Closures On The Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »

Is this for reasons related to the protection of the coho?  The notice doesn't seem to be posted yet.  This will sure pack in the fishmen into a smaller area if the sockeye is still open then.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:28:06 AM »

The closed area will only come into effect once the sockeye closure begins on the non-tidal Fraser River, therefore crowd will not be a huge issue. The notice will come later today, the tidal notice is already out now:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=93047&ID=recreational

The non-tidal will remain open for chinook and chum fishing, selective method required, there'll be a bait ban, no fishing for coho and sockeye. Spincasting and barfishing will be the methods preferred.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:32:54 AM »

Is this for reasons related to the protection of the coho?  The notice doesn't seem to be posted yet.  This will sure pack in the fishmen into a smaller area if the sockeye is still open then.
Yes it is to protect BC Interior coho stocks where the exploitation rate is not to exceed 3 percent.

As well the request once again will be as Rodney stated is to fish selectively or the river could be closed to all salmon fishing. :-[ :'(

Barbless

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:35:22 PM »

Thanks for posting the notices and for the clarification.  This should be a great time then for bar fishers in that section of the river.

I guess the powers that be though still can't, for some reason or another, take out this statement: "This means that anglers are requested to use
angling methods that do not catch sockeye or coho".

But yet they say, "You may not fish for sockeye salmon".

If you may not fish for sockeye but you may use any method for other species (you are merely requested to use methods that do not catch sockeye), then there is nothing here stopping everyone from C&Ring however many sockeye before they catch their spring or chum.  Anyone fishing can just say that they did not mean to catch sockeye.  There can't be any true enforcement of what FOC is trying for.

I don't understand the reason for not being more strong in their wording.  I am happy to fish one method for sockeye and then change methods when I have my limit.  Is the reason that they don't word it more strongly and say specifically what fishing methods are/aren't allowed because they don't have proof that one method is more selective than another or is there something else at play?  I have never seen any published study of the selectivity of different methods of fishing.  Can anyone point me to one?  I am going on the premise that bar fishing doesn't completely eliminate the bycatch of sockeye but that it is very good way to avoid catching them, and I myself have never caught a sockeye barfishing.  I would love to know if there has been a study done on the selectivity of fishing methods and where to find it if it exists.

Anyways, I am a bit off topic (but related).  I am very glad that the river will still be open to catch Chum and Chinook at least for a portion of the river.  I love sitting on the side of the big river, chatting, watching the scenery, and waiting for a bite!  I hope September brings some Chinook my way!

Barbless

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:37:54 PM »

Excellent point Barbless

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:30:38 PM »

Good points Barbless.

There are limitations on what DFO can regulate (sounds ironic, I know). The next best thing that we can do, as a group, is to moderate ourselves with the understanding that there will be vulnerable populations moving through the Fraser River in the next six weeks. We should do our best to avoid by-catching sockeye, coho, steelhead when fishing on the Fraser River starting next week. Of course, exploitation rate could not be minimized to zero percent, as barfishing or spincasting will connect with the odd coho and steelhead as well. It is up to everyone to release these fish with care, in the water as fast as you can.

Normally the tidal and non-tidal Fraser River is closed in September and part of October. After many discussions since last year, DFO has recognized that recreational fishing opportunities can be had during this time without tampering the stocks in concern. I am excited to be able to spincast later on this month around the tidal Fraser again. :) Let's show our appreciation by recognizing their concerns, and do what's best for the river.

Some good times ahead. :)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

With some holiday time coming up, Im excited too!

Thanks, Rod, for sharing very well the importance of being responsible and doing what best we can to be selective to ensure the river will remain open. It's such a beautiful time to fish, and Sept can be just awesome on the bar rods.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:44 PM »

There was a mistake in the tidal Fraser River notice:

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=93113&ID=recreational

Chum daily quota is 4, not 2.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 11:22:34 AM »

How strong of a wording can the Fishery get?  Last weekend my 78 year old neighbour went out to do bar fishing and he caught his limit of sockeye.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 12:49:05 PM »

what was he using? glos,bait?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 01:59:08 PM »

Spin'n Glow. No bait.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 12:37:10 PM »

How strong of a wording can the Fishery get?  Last weekend my 78 year old neighbour went out to do bar fishing and he caught his limit of sockeye.

Nice to hear!! ;D

Id sure like to know what causes this. Every once in a while you whack them on the spin-glos then it's dry again.  :-\ ???

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?