Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question on moving from felt bottom to vibram, etc. on wading boots  (Read 1554 times)

norm_2

I was on the Simm's website and there are no longer any felt boots.  Is there any legislation on this?  Does it apply to Canada too because there must be something in the USA? Is there a deadline date for not using felt in Canada?

WildRod

Re: A question on moving from felt bottom to vibram, etc. on wading boots
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »

I really don't know the answer to your question, but do felt bottoms disturb the habitat more than other boots?  My only guess is that Simms is in a seasonal turnover and will hopefully release new models in the new year.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »

I've been with aqua stealth for 6 years now and like them much better than my old felts.  I think the reason Simms is going all rubber is because of whirling disease, which is prominent in many Montana streams.  Felt soaks up more water and the parasite and can transmit it to other water bodies much easier than non-absorbing rubber.  In my opinion, the rubber is much lighter when wet, doesn't track nearly as much mud and wears much better.  It is a little slicker on snotty rocks, but can easily be studded and de-studded when needed. 

Danube Boy

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:20 PM »

It has to do with aquatic invasive species being trasferred from one aquatic ecosystem to another by way of felt soled wading boots (you can find plenty of info online). For now, it appears to have lead to some regional bans in the States and a nation wide ban in New Zeland that began in 2008.

As for the availability of Simms felt boots, you can still find some in various stores. Also, there are many other brands that still make new models with felt soles.

I use Simms Vibram soles with cleats and find them great on all surfaces.