Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatcheries  (Read 3004 times)

Preliator

Hatcheries
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »

I've only recently noticed that some of the hatcheries are actually open to the public, and that's great. What happens there, do they just take you for a tour or what? Also, why are some of them open, while others are not?

StillAqua

Re: Hatcheries
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »

Hatchery staff usually don't have the time to tour tourists around when the spawners are in so they rely on self guided tours a lot. Some hatcheries may not have the facilities set up for tours or they don't hold fish all year so there isn't much to see. Most of the DFO hatcheries though are open for tours, even remote ones like Nitinat and Conuma.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:54:27 PM »

Right now the Hatchery where I volunteer at we very busy collecting brood stock. We are down at the fish fence twice a day cleaning the fence and emptying the trap and doing egg takes a couple of times a week. This is a small hatchery that without the help of volunteers just would not be able to keep up as there is only the hatchery manager as the employee. This makes it difficult to do tours and the hatchery will only be open if he is there. If you are in the Maple Ridge area let me know and I will give you info on when our next egg take will be. It is always great to see as you get to see first hand the work it takes to do one. Maybe Rodney would like to do a video for you all.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:57:32 AM »

I've only recently noticed that some of the hatcheries are actually open to the public, and that's great. What happens there, do they just take you for a tour or what? Also, why are some of them open, while others are not?
Some hatcheries will do a tour if you have a group of kids ( I take my scouts sometimes)  Many of the hatchery staff, if not running off their feet are often quite willing to answer your questions (despite the fact that they have probably heard them 100 times already that day) and are quite friendly.  Remember to thank them for their tireless efforts.  Without them, we'd have some VERY limited fishing opportunities.

Cheers.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:04:09 PM »

Yes we do alot of field trips at the hatchery from elementry kids right upto the high schools we even do ones for professional days for teachers.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »

While the discussion is mainly on federally run salmon hatcheries, some of you also might be interested in visiting the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, which is operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC. They are responsible for raising trout that you catch in lakes and rivers across the southern part of this province. I'm not entirely sure what the current public opening hours are but you can phone and find out. Most of the public area is also geared toward fishermen as the visiting centre upstairs has aquariums with fish and two fishing ponds are available for kids to catch trout.

Phone: 604 504 4716
Email: Visit.Fraservalley@gofishbc.com

Preliator

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »

Geff T, I am out that way quite frequently. Which hatchery are you at?

Rodney, the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery sounds like a very interactive place for the public to get involved and experience first hand what they are doing to give families and such an opportunity to catch fish. Actually, I have a couple friends who are getting more and more curious about fishing and these hatcheries would be great to take them to to educate them.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »

Geff T, I am out that way quite frequently. Which hatchery are you at?

I am at Bell Irving Hatchery on 256th street. I am also down at the fish fence twice a day. The fish fence is located on 240th street North of Lougheed highway and south of Dewdney trunk road on Kanaka creek. Usually at the fence at around 9am and then again at around 2:30pm

Preliator

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 08:17:24 PM »

You sure do put in your hours! Next time I'm that way I'll have to stop by and see what you do. I'd like to someday get volunteering with my local hatchery.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »

I love fishing at the hatcheries.
Havent been skunkjed yet and the ratio of clipped fish is fantastic. ;)
Thanks to all those that volunteer there time at these hatcheries.
They dont have much funding so its volunteers or bust.
I used to help electro shock that system many moons ago Jeff.
Is amazing the ditches we pulled the Cutthroat broods from.