Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where do I go for Carp fishing?  (Read 6619 times)

nicecoho

where do I go for Carp fishing?
« on: October 29, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »

Hi

I am wondering about good location for carp fishing.  from the shore or wading

any suggestions? or comment please

Thank you

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: where do I go for Carp fishing?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:42:27 PM »

It's getting too cold for carp fishing.

Ladner slough has good results during warm weather.  Hatzic Lk would be another good location.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »

most of the local lakes "in the city" have some carp, ie, como, lafarge... dew worms and fresh bread squeezed into balls both work well.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »

growing up in penticton fishing the oxbows around skaha lake i did quite well but that was 15 years ago... who knows about now... ive seen some huge carp in the pond at trinity western in langley... ophhhh and ive had some killer days using corn.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

hohartmann

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »

almost all year round except for when the lake is frozen over osoyoos lake is loaded with carp. In the summer i was catching 8-10 a day ranging from 4-12 pounds. People have said they have seen giant carp up to 20 pounds i dunno though, using fresh bread balled up is what ive got them all on. :)

funpig

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »

I live in Ladner.  I have seen fish (carp?) in the sloughs in my neighbourhood.  These slough are public as far as I can tell.  There are public walkways beside the slough.  However, the local developer has put put signs saying "No Fishing".  Do you guys think the developer has the right to do that?  I wouldn't mind taking my youg kid fishing there.  Of course, my neighbours would probably get pretty upset if our slough became a mini Vedder.  BTW, are the ladner sloughs considered freshwater or tidal for licensing purposes?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:37:56 PM by funpig »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »

Freshwater.  Some sloughs goes through private property those you might want to avoid.  But sloughs besides River Rd. and on Westham Is. you can legally fish from public access land.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »

growing up in penticton fishing the oxbows around skaha lake i did quite well but that was 15 years ago... who knows about now... ive seen some huge carp in the pond at trinity western in langley... ophhhh and ive had some killer days using corn.

--Skaha still good for Carp, Smallmouth Bass, Kokanee and Rainbows... Good fishing from shore at the private camping areas around the lake. For such a productive lake it is likely the most overlooked in the province as a fishing destination.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 12:38:40 PM »

--Skaha still good for Carp, Smallmouth Bass, Kokanee and Rainbows... Good fishing from shore at the private camping areas around the lake. For such a productive lake it is likely the most overlooked in the province as a fishing destination.
hey skaha yeah i have some good memories fishing the mouth of the chunky channel,also the pier/train bridge in ok falls, i have caught some serious smallies and that that pond has some huge carp in ok fall. vasuex lake has some wicked carp fishing aswell. does tuc le nit ??spelling?? have the great Canadian carp off?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »

--stil have the great Carp Off each year not sure when it is though.
--there was a Sockeye opening and a commercial sockeye test fishery in Osoyoos this year.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 12:10:04 PM »

--stil have the great Carp Off each year not sure when it is though.
--there was a Sockeye opening and a commercial sockeye test fishery in Osoyoos this year.
great memories at the carp off... and the sockeye opening is a good thing but i hope the stocks can replenish... do you drag tubes in the winter for those slabs in skaha?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:38 PM »

--winter usually bucktail or surface lyman plug for trout on okanagan and skaha depending on the weather.
--skaha 6-8 lbs
--okanagan 10lbs - well one around 17lbs anyways but not mine.
--you can check out  www.kelownafishing.com  for pictures of local okanagan fish. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:52:28 PM by skaha »

Kenny_Outdoorkid_13

• Size dont matter. The fun of the fish fight does
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »

I live in Ladner.  I have seen fish (carp?) in the sloughs in my neighbourhood.  These slough are public as far as I can tell.  There are public walkways beside the slough.  However, the local developer has put put signs saying "No Fishing".  Do you guys think the developer has the right to do that?  I wouldn't mind taking my youg kid fishing there.  Of course, my neighbours would probably get pretty upset if our slough became a mini Vedder.  BTW, are the ladner sloughs considered freshwater or tidal for licensing purposes?

Dude dont worry. the sign doesnt mean crap. They don't have the right to put it up. Me and my buds fish there for carp and pumpkinseeds all the time. I got the sign taken down once before by emailing the DFO about it. The put 2 more up. Just ignroe the people who poke at you for fishing. The signs are illegal. So dont worry. The property is not private at all. And for bait there we use vanilla boilies, worms, dough, and bread. Have a good time and maybe I might see you there. And yes you need the tidal license for the sloughs. Cheers.
I'd rather be fishing than out drinking or smoking crack. Get hooked on fishing, not drugs.