Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates  (Read 9115 times)

danielk

Re: 2023 Interior Lake Season Reports and Updates
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2023, 08:46:29 PM »

Good rant.   

To darko.     If you leave early you should get a spot and if not there are sooo many lakes.  Most have fish and usually camp sites.  Get a up to date back road book they have camp spots on them and fishing reports on most lakes.   Plan to go to your first lake if it’s full hit up the next.  Like I said you won’t be driving very long until the next puddle.    I hope you have a suv or truck.  If it rains they can get sloppy.  And don’t forgot to bring a camera.  Lots of wild life. Will be running around 🤓

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2023, 11:26:40 PM »

Good rant.   

To darko.     If you leave early you should get a spot and if not there are sooo many lakes.  Most have fish and usually camp sites.  Get a up to date back road book they have camp spots on them and fishing reports on most lakes.   Plan to go to your first lake if it’s full hit up the next.  Like I said you won’t be driving very long until the next puddle.    I hope you have a suv or truck.  If it rains they can get sloppy.  And don’t forgot to bring a camera.  Lots of wild life. Will be running around 🤓
negative on the SUV, Its a Nissan Versa I gotta work with right now  ;D, until I get my own car. Though that thing is a beast, even got me up to Jones lake last summer. Though I probable should stick to paved roads   ::).
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

danielk

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2023, 09:46:08 AM »

You should be good. People bring cars into a lot of the lakes.  And motorhomes. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2023, 10:00:01 AM »

Darko have you decided which lakes you're going to? The thread got too long and I have a hard time going back looking for it. Getting old. :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2023, 10:07:32 AM »

We had a good day at LLJ a couple weeks ago (well, not me, but someone else did ::) ). All the fish were around 16"/17", nothing huge but abundance was there. That said, LLJ provincial park has a pathetic boat launch considering the amount of usage that lake gets.

Thanks for posting those observations Tylsie. I'll put forward a recommendation to FFSBC that perhaps there needs to be some material on dock fishing ettiquettes. I may just go ahead and make a video about it.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2023, 11:05:13 PM »

Darko have you decided which lakes you're going to? The thread got too long and I have a hard time going back looking for it. Getting old. :(

After way too much research I think the Voght Valley lakes are the best options considering my situation. I want to try Courtney aswell although it is listed as potential winterkill. Might try kane valley a bit too to see if any brook trout survived the winter. I think I will call a local tackle store to ask about any winterkill updates.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2023, 11:10:04 PM »

You'll have fun fishing at either Shea, Davis or Boss around Voght Valley. Average size is all around 14" to 16", with some chances of getting into bigger fish. For the most part the abundance is there and fishing is generally quite predictable, so they are good choices if you are just in the area for a day or two. You'd find the Kane Valley lakes and Courtney quite challenging. They're not easy lakes.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »

Trout that are 14 to 16 inches long are wonderful, fun fish to catch. Suddenly a lot of people are critical of lakes that only produce trout of that size or an endless stream of 2lbers. LOL! Is this the usual angler inflation where the fish get heavier the longer it's been since it was landed and released (or even eaten)? Two pound trout will usually be in the 17 to 19 inch range. Traditionally trout fishing was based on fish 12 to 18 inches long. Now if you don't land 4 and 5 lbers all day you are a piker. It's not just the size of the fish it's the fight in the fish that makes it memorable. A couple of weeks ago I was catching 14 inch wild rainbows out of the lake which would have put many of those triploid 3lbers to shame.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 12:24:28 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2023, 12:50:02 PM »

Totally agree. Nothing wrong with catching 14" to 16" fish, especially if abundance is there.

We had a good day at LLJ a couple weeks ago (well, not me, but someone else did ::) ). All the fish were around 16"/17", nothing huge but abundance was there. That said, LLJ provincial park has a pathetic boat launch considering the amount of usage that lake gets.

Oops, forgot to include photo.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2023, 01:23:36 PM »

Respect and Decency!

This rant doesn't really affect me as I have a boat but lots of people don't. That is why I am very glad the FFSBC has, and continues to, build fishing docks around the province. But what I witnessed was truly disheartening.

Disappointing to hear you encountered poor behavior, not just as a one off, but multiple times.

Did you try talking to these groups? Perhaps some were just oblivious, which is somewhat different than being willfully discourteous.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2023, 04:44:42 PM »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/stump-lake-searching-missing-fishing-1.6884453
unfortunate news, hopefully they can be found safe. What do you guys think could have happened?. Maybe they got stuck in some harsh winds or weather?

danielk

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2023, 08:31:03 PM »

That is why pfd are important.   Think if  you had a couple beers in the sun flipped the boat.   The water can shock you and your time is gone    !!  Super sad !!!    Even the strongest swimmer.  Can mess up  !!!   Be safe out there

Darko

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 08:27:45 AM »

that is very sad news and I feel for the family and friends of these 2 people.

It also makes me wonder how people feel about the possibility that Transport Canada is looking at the life jacket/PFD requirements including making wearing them mandatory for all people in small craft?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2023, 09:47:28 AM »

that is very sad news and I feel for the family and friends of these 2 people.

It also makes me wonder how people feel about the possibility that Transport Canada is looking at the life jacket/PFD requirements including making wearing them mandatory for all people in small craft?

I would fully support mandatory PFDs...mishaps can happen to even the most  seasoned swimmers....its just like wearing a car seatbelt... mandatory for their own safety