Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You know what!  (Read 2524 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
You know what!
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »

It's always been blasphemous to carry a net on your person when fishing the Chilliwack river.
But this weekend after watching some hicks kicking and dragging pinks everywhere and handling them like a sack of potatoes got me thinking that this no net policy sets a bad example.
So I am going to take a net with me from now on!

Brian the fisherman

Re: You know what!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:43:09 AM »

when fishing pinks I use a catch and release net because I do not intend on keeping any. This season has been just like normal pink seasons. Raw brutality to the backs of the fish. however there are still receptive people out there. So I kindly just ask them to respect the fish. Only half listen.
Tight lines to all

NexusGoo

• I like fishing goo
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »

Most times if you're already out in the water, releasing fish is fairly easy. There will never be a day when you go out and don't see at least one angler mis-handling a fouled fish or dragging a salmon up onto the rocks only to kick it back into the water moments later. Unfortunately it's a bad habit that the select few choose to ignore.

@adriaticum - good on you for practicing good releasing technique :)

D.Sams

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:58:59 PM »

Moral, proper catch and release technique is not common - at all.  That being said, a little patience for ignorance and a polite correction of an offenders behavior can go a long way - but not always.  I'm not perfect, but I generally have a 7 step system which I follow.

1) Land the fish in my net.
2) Let my line go slack.
3) Wet Hands
4) Efficiently remove the hook.
5) Wet hands again.
6) Remove the fish from the net.
7) Release.

This generally takes 12-15 seconds.  And if I have a buddy and decide to pose for a photograph, the fish is never more than 12" above the water.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »

Moral, proper catch and release technique is not common - at all.  That being said, a little patience for ignorance and a polite correction of an offenders behavior can go a long way - but not always.  I'm not perfect, but I generally have a 7 step system which I follow.

1) Land the fish in my net.
2) Let my line go slack.
3) Wet Hands
4) Efficiently remove the hook.
5) Wet hands again.
6) Remove the fish from the net.
7) Release.

This generally takes 12-15 seconds.  And if I have a buddy and decide to pose for a photograph, the fish is never more than 12" above the water.

Add a Step 0.5 "Wet the net", I was out with my kids on the weekend at the Harrison and had an opportunity to teach them catch and release techniques both with and without a net as we were catching pike minnow (without a net) and a Sockeye (with a net).  As it turned out we decided to not use the net for the Sockeye, but I had the chance to explain the benefits of wetting the net first as well as my hands.  For the smaller fish they were shown how to grab the hook and release the fish without even touching the fish.  Sadly, not everyone gets the benefit of learning from a knowledgable mentor so it wise to tackle such ignorance with a sympathetic approach, assuming that they just haven't had the opportunity to learn the proper technique.  If they then choose to ignore you and/or abuse you for your suggestions, then handle it anyway you like (turn a blind eye, call RAPP, whatever).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:24:44 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:29:22 PM »

One reason a lot of fish are getting dragged on to the rocks is because most of the anglers are not wearing waders. They afraid  to get their feet wet! :o