Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser  (Read 3238 times)

armytruck

• Old Timer
Lower Fraser
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »

Regarding to FN0810 notice . I was wanting to go to the lower Fraser to try my luck at Chum or a Chinook . Seeing that you are not to use methods that target Coho until after Oct. 5 th. Would chucking spoons be concidered  targeting Coho  ??? . If so ,then what would be the artificial bait of choice to fish the lower right now .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:57:52 PM »

Sorry , I see everyone seems to be more focused on the Vedder Creek right now . That's OK , I did go to Rod's main web page and get a report from the Fraser Valley BC Fishing Report

By Vic Carrao, STS Guiding Service | Last updated: September 17th, 2012 Fraser River Salmon Fishing .
We usually start the day with salmon and end with some sturgeon drops. Some guests prefer to fish sturgeon all day and we are good with that too. Fly fishers can target chinook and coho salmon between middle of September to middle of October, then chum salmon move in. We also like to plunk big Tee Spoons for those Harrison chinook salmon. Last year we did great right through to about Oct 22nd then it died off for chinook salmon.

For anglers wanting to cast spoons and spinners, there is no better time or place than the Fraser River in October. We fish all the bars top to bottom covering lots of water for both coho and chinook salmon. Last year we had some great results from late September until late October. We still have some good weekday availability for October but weekends are getting tight.

This past week we have seen a significant change in water clarity and action on the bar rods. On September 11th and 12th, we hooked 12 chinook salmon, a couple of coho salmon and even a steelhead. This plunking style of fishing is very productive and nothing is more fun than seeing your rod tip buried into the water.

Plunking is basically bar fishing from the boat, a little lighter gear is used and hook-ups are more aggressive.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Lower Fraser
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »

I've moved all Lower/Tidal Fraser postings into one thread so it's easier to follow:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31309.0