Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your First Trip to the Vedder  (Read 5879 times)

aaron.az

Your First Trip to the Vedder
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:03:47 PM »

Just got back from my first time ever being on the vedder. Unfortunately didnt bring anything home or catch anything. Was shortfloating roe,small roesacks, colorado blades and tried tossing a few spoons. fished from 11-5ish. spent alot of time just walking along river just trying to see if i can find these so called "holes" that fish are hiding in. started down by river road bridge, lot of people flossing or trying to floss there so i moved downstream, saw couple fish landed big brutes. Got in the car drove farther down to peach road, found lots of nice comfortable space definetly alot of places u can explore and walk to. saw fish jumping but no bites, i was there fairly late in the day and who knows maybe i had not a clue what i was doing. One guy came and talked for a while a couple times, nice guy with a very goodlooking centerpin rod and reel haha. Figure id share my experience, too bad i cant share fish photos! would love to here others experiences like this.

penguinabc123

Re: Your First Trip to the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »

Hey don't feel to bad I am also newer to fishing and have yet to bring home any catches after fishing the vedder. But I always try to get a walk in like you mentioned to find a good spot for next time. I really enjoy hiking anyways so for me I like to do a little of both and as long as I am enjoying myself either way I consider it a good trip out.
I think the hours you were there may not have been the most productive though, maybe first and last light, but that isn't to say you cant catch in the other hours though.
I try to fish the first several hours of first light, then walk around and explore, maybe have some food and then stick around for the last hours if I have the time.

aaron.az

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »

Big mistake. not eating from 7am till like 7pm when i got home. eating food with roe smell on ur hand doesnt work so well...pretty damn gross. haha yeah i live out in North surrey. the hour and a bit drive was the biggest obstacle to be honest. probably hit the fraser bars on sat when the bait ban is lifted n such.

jacked55

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »

aaron, i too live in your area and last year was my first year on the vedder. my best advice to give you as a fellow newbie, just put the time in on the river and dont worry about your catching. i made it a point to take a look around at every place i go to, and when i find someone fishing ethically, i try to approach him and chat him up. when most people on the river hear you say you are a bit new and are actually willing to ask questions they will give you tons of advice. sometimes too much but hey, its better than nothing. good luck, perhaps i will see you out there sometime?

aaron.az

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »

send me an email. imma hit up barnston island and try to find some nice places to throw some bottom rigged roe on the fraser. this weekend or monday maybe.

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:34 AM »

You just have to keep trying, the fish are there but they are cautious so getting them to bite is difficult.   Small presentations and a lighter leader will help you're chances, and keep active, moving along the river to find this fish, often the fish are sitting in deep water where the surface is quite fast and has large ripples usually where a shallow area drops into a deeper section, it just takes some patience and per perseverance to find and hook into some fish, people long lining fish will catch them, but everyone I have seen longlined have been hooked under the jaw or in the gill plate, I have seen very few coho and springs hooked in the mouth with anything other then roe and blades/ spoons.

penguinabc123

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »

Big mistake. not eating from 7am till like 7pm when i got home. eating food with roe smell on ur hand doesnt work so well...pretty damn gross. haha yeah i live out in North surrey. the hour and a bit drive was the biggest obstacle to be honest. probably hit the fraser bars on sat when the bait ban is lifted n such.

I know how that drive goes, I live in Port Coquitlam so it takes me about that long to get there also. Factor in its usually 445-5am when I leave and it makes for a long day lol

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »

I don't recall my first time fishing the Vedder as it's been more than 20 years, but it can be a very special place with the right attitude.

This report I wrote up from a few years back perfectly encapsulates what I mean:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=19062.0

Good luck out there!
:)
Tex

FishingKing

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »

I remeber my first time on the vedder as a kid when my big bro brought me out. I've never seen fish so big before because I was use to fishing small trout and crappie. It was an amazing experience and I've never stopped salmon fishing since. As jack said put time into it and you will catch fish ive had days where I've been skunked then I go back the next day and bam fish on one after another. I also recommend clear floats and flourocarbon line though with this low clear water. Perfect example,my buddy and I were fishing in a hole today and my float would pass by a school and they would take the roe or just sit there while my float passed by them, then my buddy cast his line in and his green float drifts over them and they all scatter.

Robsrsx

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:54:46 PM »

I  was  there  about  a  week  ago for  the  very  first  time, from calgary, drove  a  long  time  to  exerience  the  mighty  vedder,  but like  you,   I  didnt catch  much, just  a  few  small  rainbows  and  lost  one  salmon in  3  days.   I used mainly roe  bags  and  streamers  on  a  float  rod  and  center  pin.
 I'm  not  new  to  fishing   for  salmon,  its  just  been  awhile  since  I  fished  for  these  speceis, about 10 years ago,  when I used to live  back in ontario  in  the  niagara  gorge I caught  my  share  of  chinooks  and  "steelhead"  not  sea  run,  but  from  the  great  lakes.  I  don't  know  if  it  was  the current  conditions  or  my  out  of  practice  self  but  I  found  the vedder  river   a bit  difficult  to  fish   I  didnt know  too  much  about it just  what  I  read  online.  I think real  life  exerience  is  the  key to  be successful ,  you  have  to  put  in  the  time  to  know  the  river and  find  out  what works  and  how  to  present  it

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »

Interesting how one can fish for years on the Vedder without landing a coho.   Thats been precisely my experience until last year after about 5 years of fishing that river.  So far the only thing that's worked for me is finding those spots where the flow is a little deeper and slower (..walking pace). In general casting blades have worked better for me than roe.   I know people swear by roe but I can never keep them on with the small hooks one has to use. With blades I can get a decent hookset and, when the conditions are right, blades seem to work just as well (..just my 2c I am sure there are many who might disagree)

The lack of rain certainly makes it a lot harder because there are less of those nice deep slow moving spots around so I am praying for rain.

At first I felt pretty bad seeing how others would get fish around me while I was getting nothing until I figured out that there's legit ways to do this and not so legit ways. Going there an not getting anything is certainly nothing to feel bad about and it is always good to be out there.

PS: If there are chums around pink/purple jigs are absolute dynamite.

Good luck out there :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 12:59:25 PM by fishseeker »