Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate your fishing experience at Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lakes in 2010?

Excellent
- 6 (13.3%)
Good
- 17 (37.8%)
Neutral
- 7 (15.6%)
Fair
- 6 (13.3%)
Poor
- 9 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Your feedbacks on 2010's Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake rainbow trout fishery  (Read 10227 times)

Davidp

I fish sasamat quite a bit and would like to see easier accsess made so people with small row boats or just canoes dont have such a pain carrying a boat in threw all those stairs they have  :)

Britguy

• Old Timer

First off a big thanks to all involved in this fishery :)

A couple of fly only lakes would be nice

more stocking of fish in the biger lakes like Deer Lake in Burnaby, Whonnock Lake

as for the regulars that take more than there share not much can be done without patrols from" lake watch supervisors", as jimmywits mentioned these could be selected fishermen\women that would volunteer there time,walk there local lakes or while on the lakes fishing themselves
they could have a badge\vest to show who they are once they pass a regs test
they can then confirm the regs and take photos of the non complient fishermen\women and call RAPP, CO's etc

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

A couple of FYIs.

I answered Jimmywits' question on broodstocks at flybc so I'll just copy and paste the answer here:

Before the surplus broods are released, the hatchery consults with the regional biologist from MoE to determine which lakes will receive these fish. One of the factors that they consider is whether or not the lake has an outlet (streams) because these surplus broods are 2N (not sterile) and not 3N like FV3N catchable rainbow trout. That's why the other Fishing in the City lakes do not receive them.

Re: Catch and release to produce larger fish in the long run. Fraser Valley AF3Ns at catchable size at Lower Mainland lakes are intended for people to catch and keep because most lakes' productivity is low. Even in catch and release lakes in region 2, it's rare to find trophy size fish that you'd see in Interior lakes. That being said, I personally do find lakes that are designated for catch and release more enjoyable to fish at.

Keep them coming. I'll forward the thread to FFSBC and MoE staffs later this week once we have more feedbacks. :)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

A couple of FYIs.

I answered Jimmywits' question on broodstocks at flybc so I'll just copy and paste the answer here:

Before the surplus broods are released, the hatchery consults with the regional biologist from MoE to determine which lakes will receive these fish. One of the factors that they consider is whether or not the lake has an outlet (streams) because these surplus broods are 2N (not sterile) and not 3N like FV3N catchable rainbow trout. That's why the other Fishing in the City lakes do not receive them.

Re: Catch and release to produce larger fish in the long run. Fraser Valley AF3Ns at catchable size at Lower Mainland lakes are intended for people to catch and keep because most lakes' productivity is low. Even in catch and release lakes in region 2, it's rare to find trophy size fish that you'd see in Interior lakes. That being said, I personally do find lakes that are designated for catch and release more enjoyable to fish at.

Keep them coming. I'll forward the thread to FFSBC and MoE staffs later this week once we have more feedbacks. :)

They can live longer than 2 weeks which is about the longest some of the lakes last after a stocking.

On Vancouver Island they have some fly fishing only lakes ( South Island is what I experienced ) and it worked. Their are atleast a half dozen and if not more lakes I can think of off the top of my head that could support some triploids where their is enough food for them to grow.

Personally I would like to see more lakes with some trophy fishing opportunities. It would be nice to have more choices during salmon season. I find it more enjoyable to be in my 10 footer in the interior than fishing for salmon. Just cant afford or have the time to get up to the interior every weekend.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

I personally would love to see a lake here in Maple Ridge that has better access for seniors and for kids. Right now the access at Mike lake is limited to the space on the dock( which is small and unstable) or a water craft with no motor. The access at Rolley requires pretty much the same or trying to fish in among the trees which for seniors and kids is difficult. I think maybe a man made lake in the Albion flats area would be great especially since the city is trying to find something to do with this land anyways.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Sea Nymph

If we only had few more CO's. Once a few of those poachers get fined at the local lakes for taking more than their limit I'm sure the word would get out and we would see less of these infractions. Unfortunately we know how the goverments priorities are.

samw

Now that 2010's catchable rainbow trout stockings have ended, we'd like to hear some feedbacks from you.

I had an excellent trout season.  What I'd like to see is more lakes stocked with kokanee.  Is that off-topic or does the same hatchery that stocks trout also stock kokanee?  What is the reason that more lakes aren't stocked with catchable kokanee?  I'm sure one of the requirements would be that the lake be at a higher elevation or is big and deep.

Blackgivesway2blue

Well i was in class today, i thought of something id like bring up to everyone on here.  Why dont the release sexually active fish wich will spawn and keep the cycle going in the lake, instead of the Tripliod Trout wich just keeps growing. That way the fishing wont be good for just the 2weeks when they stock the lakes, and they dont get fished out dry.  This also may make it a little bit more challenging for some of us, who keep catching a ton of fish when we go, and can probobly provent the double dipping by some of the locals.

One bad thing i thought about why they dont do that, is maybe the cost to release sexually active fish, may cost alot more than what it does now.  i just thought id like to share that idea with some of you , i dont know if its already been talked about, but i just felt like bringing this up.

Cheers - Blackgivesway2blue  8)

anorden

On the whole I think they are doing a great job managing these fisheries, I cant think of any other places in the world that have such an awsome program for such a cheap license fee.

I agree we need some differentiation and diversity in the fisheries. They need to continue with the meat fisheries to satisfy the meat fisherman but stock a couple of (catch and release) lakes with cutties, trophy rainbows, other native species  etc. Im sure the biologists would say it is inefficient as would the economists but it seems a lot of non-meat fisherman would appreciate that.

On a side note better fly fishing access at Rice would be most welcome particularly since boats are prohibited!

doja

I'd like to see a c&r lake in the lowermainland, within a park of some sort to reduce the poaching that a lake in the hills might receive and load it with fish and fertilize the lake so that they grow BIG.

The one thing about the lakes here is the fish are small, still enjoyable to get out, but if there was a lake nearby that held large fish and or better fish and could accommodate a fair amount of boats/fishermen that would be great!!!!

People (like me) spend a lot of money going else wheres to get into bigger and or better fish (IE cutthrout, kokanee). Lakes like kawkwa (hope) are great, and while not that far of travel (like the interior), but it is a still a long drive and cost not to mention the harm to the environment, as much fuel is used to get to these places. This is a cost that I'd wager the majority of fisher people have to absorb. It'd be great to see this money, instead of going to the gas man to be put into a local lake to create a quality local fishery...

I'd be more than happy to pay an additional fee to fish this "imaginary" local lake, after all I am saving a lot in gas. If there is something that would not let this fly please let me know....!!!! As far as I know, and that is little, the local lakes are too alkaline. can't we just ad some ph-down??? throw some bugs in and maintain the water ph???

Aside from above, a 4 fish limit is a bit much for a easy to access lake in town and lowing that would be good to see. I'd like to see no more than 2 on the city lakes.

PS, I voted fair as the fishing experience. I allways catch fish so that is good but they are small and not enough kokanees in buntzen ;).I only go out to local lakes if I have to get out and can't afford the time or gas to go further, even though I really want to...

Last year I spent more time and money going else wheres for bigger and better fish....and it was a fair bit of money....

It would be nice to see more kokanees in more lakes that don't have them as I find they are the "walters" I'm hoping to catch and they give me the thrill as they are low in numbers (please change ;) ;D). It'd be nice to see a few more planted with lower limits so someone who finds them doesn't clean them out...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 12:51:41 AM by doja »

colin6101

I had a really good year fishing stocked trout. Im with everyone else for lowering the limits as I almost never keep stocked trout from the LM anyways and hopefully this would mean more around for the new anglers to catch. I've noticed Im almost always able to catch lots of fish out of my kayak at most LM lakes while there are quite a few lakes that are very hard for shore anglers to fish. It'd be nice if they found some ways to make shore fishing better at some of the lakes so new anglers could have some more luck.  Caught some big broods at Mill today and that was fun on the fly, my only complaint is that my net is not big enough for them  :D.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Stave Lake use to have some decent size Kokanee. It would make a good place to stock them and Alouette lake. I like to fish for them and there's a lake or two in the Cariboo that have good sized Koke's. I'd turn Green Timbers into a catch and release lake. Because it's in Surrey. Maybe even a toll and breathalizer van there too.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

dereke

• Old Timer

Not sure if all lakes are stocked with "Fraser valley strain" but they aredogs to fight. Usually slugs compared to interior fish. Other than that pretty neat to have quite a few lakes close to a major center with quite a few fish to catch.
always a student

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....

Most lakes in Region 2 are stocked with Fraser Valley rainbows for the "urban" fishery.  There are some exceptions if you look them up at gofishbc.com
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Back to the top for those who haven't voted or provided feedbacks. I have an advisor meeting next week where I can bring up some of your thoughts.