Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How would you rate your fishing experience at Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lakes in 2010?

Excellent
- 6 (13.3%)
Good
- 17 (37.8%)
Neutral
- 7 (15.6%)
Fair
- 6 (13.3%)
Poor
- 9 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Your feedbacks on 2010's Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake rainbow trout fishery  (Read 10226 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Now that 2010's catchable rainbow trout stockings have ended, we'd like to hear some feedbacks from you. Last year I put up a thread for this and information was very useful for those who work in this fishery. I can't promise that your ideas will always be used, but I can at least deliver them to the right person who would like to hear them. ;)

Have you been pleased with the stocking updates, the lakes (the facility, the catches, etc) where you fish? What more would you like to see (not necessary more fish, but a floating dock, or washroom facility? etc)?

Regulation compliance, how much of this have you observed? What is the ratio between compliance and non-compliance, at which lake? What are the most common violations? What would you like to see more to tackle this issue?

Any questions on the catchable rainbow trout fishery? How stockings are determined? How fish are raised? etc.

What other lakes you want to see fish in? What lakes you want to see less fish stocked?

Any other additional comments are welcome. Please keep the discussion constructive. A couple of topics, especially when it comes to regulation compliance, can be heated, so I ask you to be constructive rather than be destructive (ie. we want to know the extent of the problem but not finger pointing or extensive complaints without making some suggestions).

Thanks!

thatleetboy

Well, I was in Port Moody from about Oct 21 to Nov2.

I made the mistake of trying to fish at Buntzen Lake. The dam is open and the water is so high, it's hard to find a spot you can even access the lake. I found one spot, but was skunked, not surprisingly.

I went 4 or 5 times to Sasamat, and as pretty as it is, still not much luck. I did catch a nice 1 1/2 lb rainbow one day, and there was certainly a lot of fish jumping, about ten feet further than I was casting ;)  Beautiful spot though, I don't regret a minute I spent there, at *either* end of the lake!

I had a fly fishing lesson one Sunday afternoon at Como Lake, and the regulars there told us it gets fished out almost immediately after stocking, we certainly didn't see much.

Thanks Rod, for all the advice before my trip, I had a great time, even if I didn't catch anything to feed the crew!

Cheers

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

Because the local stocked lake I fish is Green Timbers the thing I would like to see the most is reducing the limit. To two fish so that there is more time between the stocking and a small group of people taking all the fish. Also a dock off the west side were the ducks rarely go. It's a local spot so if you want more fish you can get them the next day. It seems the higher limit also brings out the worst anglers too. That might be a bit negitive but it's hard to put it another way. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer

Went to Whonnock Lake twice.  Skunked both times.  :-\

TtotheE

Because the local stocked lake I fish is Green Timbers the thing I would like to see the most is reducing the limit.  To two fish so that there is more time between the stocking and a small group of people taking all the fish.

2 fish is the current limit at Green Timbers. Some users have scratched off the number that was originally there. There was a new sticker that reflected the changes, but no more.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/0911/region2.html

Nice little lake. Can't seem to wake up early enough to get there when the fish are active and closer to shore though. At least there weren't anybody wearing waders there last time I went there  :)

blackskull

Although, I live near Como, I usually hit up Rice.  The hike in tends to deter some people from going.  I've had no luck at Como. 

Would like to see the limits dropped as well.

I think at the truly urban lakes there tends to be a lot of double or triple dipping from the local residents.  Since the lake is a few seconds away, there could be some local resident limiting out multiple times in one day and no one would really know.

searun17

• Old Timer

I live close to Como and have taken all my kids fishing this lake over the years and after stocking the kids have allways caught fish,but since lifting the age restriction i am finding the same individuals fishing there mornings and again in the evenings taking more fish than the regs state,as a result the last number of times out i am finding the lake gets fished out pretty quick and there is not much left for the kids,lower quota may help but personally id rather see the age restriction return.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Sea Nymph

I'm with you guys on lowering the limit to two. I also live close to Como and have witnessed the double and triple dipping by some of these folks. I have mentioned it to some of these so called fishermen but they just shrug their shoulders and some pretend not to understand me. I have called the DFO a few times, but have never seen them out there personally. If the limit was lowered to two it may give everyone especialyy the kids a little longer period to catch fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Excellent responses so far. I added a poll to the thread later on yesterday after putting this post up so in case you missed it earlier, please vote. There are quite a few individuals who voted "poor", but failed to explain why it is poor and what improvements are needed by making a reply.

By lowering the daily quota and implementing the age restriction, it would unlikely deter those who wish to take more than their shares of fish home if you observe who were the majority usually taking part in this violation. Again, two components are needed continuously to increase compliance - education and enforcement. This particular topic has been an email discussion on and off among individuals myself, MoE staff and FFSBC staff because we get reports from stocking staff, creel surveyors, park staff on how much non-compliance there are. There is a plan to have an one or two-page introductory sheet available for entry level anglers to bring along when visiting these "Fishing in the City" lakes. This would make sure new anglers are well aware of what they can and cannot do before wetting a line. For those who continue to disregard our regulations, your best option right now is still calling the RAPP line. Even if conservation officers are unable to attend, frequencies of reports give them a better understanding on where most violations are taking place. This really helps them on determining how their patrol time and effort should be allocated.

What influence the quality of your trip to these lakes? The venue (scenery, tidiness, facilities?), the fish (number of fish caught, number of fish allowed for keeping, size of the fish?), the nearby participants (general atmosphere, compliance, angling behaviour?)?

Unlike previous years, I updated the stocking reports once every week (near the end of each week) instead of providing immediate updates. Is this preferred?

Blackgivesway2blue

i have a confession Rodney , i didnt mean to vote poor :-[, when i hit the sumbit button, i accidently hit poor, and then the sumbit button again with out paying attention :-\ My first choice in the poll was Good,  Ive liked this fishery so far this year becuase its simple to get to these lakes, and catch a couple fish.  one thing i dislike about this fishery, is at some lakes i go to, i see the same people in the morning come and take there limit, and go home. Than come back again in the afternoon, and bonk there limit again, and go home.  One time i even saw the same guy come back a 3rd time, and take his limit again  >:( this kinda stuff just makes me sick to my stomach

jimmywits

Thanks Rod, for providing a venue to give feedback and have it heard by people with influence and the ability to make changes.
I voted good on the pole, I pretty much always catch fish as a result of the stocking program and I don't have to burn gobs of fuel to do so. I would like to see the main four ponds get fewer fish so other lakes would have an increased share. I think this could be done by lowering the limits in these ponds. The Garibaldi lakes seem to get fewer and fewer fish all the time and they are not that far away and there is no comparison in the fishing experience. The poaching problem at these urban ponds is rampant, and with the staffing levels of Co's, I am not sure what the answer is. Maybe some type of Deputy system, where experienced anglers could play some role. Also I would like to see a little better access at some of these lakes for getting car topper row boats closer to the water. Sasamat lake is an example, there is a gated access road right down to the water, which would make for much easier launching in spring and fall, before and after the beach goers are there en masse. I would like to see them spread the share of those big brood stocks around, it seems that only a couple or three lakes get them. But overall, in my opinion, I think the program is a success.

tight lines everyone  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:41:39 AM by jimmywits »

EZ_Rolling

I have for the most part always enjoyed the local lakes and like the others above find they get fished out way too fast, I have never actually taken a fish from the local ponds.
Would really like to see some more river enhancement in trout as they are much more enjoyable to catch in moving water.

As for you posting about the stockings, I preferred the day of reports but maybe this day of reporting could be for contributing members or subscribers.
Then it could be in the open forum a few days later.

Thanks for asking
EZ

marmot

• Old Timer

I would suggest that if you're not going to make a lake a kids only destination, at least portion off the easy access areas for the kids... like the dock at rice, bridge at sasamat, etc.  Adults can find other places to fish on the same lakes... with kids or parents with kids its not so easy.  And green timbers I won't even go into... I won't be taking my kids anywhere near there again.

At shannon lake in kelowna they stock a small penned off area of the lake with triploids just for the kids and it works very well.  We've taken the kids there a few times and it has always been a pleasant and successful outing.  I'm sure they get their share of poaching but I do believe that with a small area designated as kids only it would be less likely that you'd have an adult fishing it.... far more visibility in a smaller area.  Pretty easy to put up a few signs too.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

I answered neutral.

The good:
Lakes close to home that usually have fish in them.
Fish that are easy to catch

The bad:
Fish are easy to catch ( mention it twice since its good and bad, as these fish are quite stupid )
The fish lack a decent fight
The popular lakes get fished out fast

Question about the stocking. Now are these lakes stocked so people can feed their families? Or are they put their for people to experience catching fish? If its more about the experience than lowering the limit to one a day/person might help keep some of these fish in the lakes a bit longer. If a family of 4 goes out thats still 4 fish.

I would still like to see a stocking program done on some other lakes in the LM that are actually fertile. Their are some lakes in the Fraser Valley that could be turned into fly fishing only lakes. If they were stocked with triploids they could grow quite fast and we could have a few 'trophy' lakes where we have a chance at some larger fish ( and not those mutant broods )

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

wizard

without changes in the regs, most fish in local urban lakes have no chance to grow to decent sizes.  there are few fly only lakes in lower mainland locally, and those imo provide the best quality fishing experience. I wish there were more.
does whonnok ever get broods? that could be interesting...then again, they would dissapear pretty fast due to harvesting.