Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your Favorite Fishing Spots?  (Read 15442 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Re: Your Favorite Fishing Spots?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »

Most people who report there catches even hide the back ground of the river to avoid leaking out there secret location .

quincy

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »

1. Any lake, river, stream, creek or ocean
2. Trout, salmon, sturgeon
3. All year long 

:P
Take a few days to go around the area and find some spots that you might want to fish in the future. Get off the computer and get out.

Dont act like you dont pry information off the net

WildRod

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 07:05:37 PM »

Good stuff guys.  Don't blame me for being novice and trying to catch up with the sport.  I'm just asking what's in many people's mind, but maybe they feel the same as what some of you trying to imply and they keep it quiet.  If I had friends who were fishermen and knew good fishing spots, I would not have been asking this of you gentlemen/ladies.  I haven't had the luxury of fishing all my life and just got started with it recently and I'm too trying to come up with favorite spots to fish.  And believe me, I will share my spot(s) when I have them :) because they're not mine; they belong to everyone and the mother nature.
I've fished various spots, but don't really have a favorite one yet. Some of them are: Fraser near Hope, Mouth of Capilano, furry Creek, No3road Richmond.
Anyways, I appreciate all the feedback.

I know where you're coming from - I'm in the same boat.  Don't know many people who fish, but I enjoy spending a morning or afternoon on the river, walking around and enjoying the odd hook up.  I have a lot to learn and still trying to figure out how to read the water to find the fish.  I find it pretty difficult to pick up on the sport without much guidance.  I think there are many other questions to ask, rather than just finding a good hole... But I don't know which questions to ask so that I can find places on my own.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 07:17:47 PM »

I know where you're coming from - I'm in the same boat.  Don't know many people who fish, but I enjoy spending a morning or afternoon on the river, walking around and enjoying the odd hook up.  I have a lot to learn and still trying to figure out how to read the water to find the fish.  I find it pretty difficult to pick up on the sport without much guidance.  I think there are many other questions to ask, rather than just finding a good hole... But I don't know which questions to ask so that I can find places on my own.

You guys really need to use the search option on these forums and get out there. Be prepared to get skunked a bunch the first couple of years you are out, its called learning. If you are out there enough you will eventually start to figure out what works and what doesn't, figuring it and and fooling the animal you are after is what it is all about. But as I said we all have been through fishless days, it as much a part of the sport as a banner day and being there at the right time.  READ as much as you can and FISH whenever possible that is the only way to become successful.

Good luck
Derek
always a student

yamadirt 426

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »

A question like this sure brings out the doucher in everyone. Don't like it don't answer. Simple. Then I don't have to sift through the b.s. My new favorite is ...         

1) garry point park
              2) dollies c&r
              3) winter

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »

A question like this sure brings out the doucher in everyone. Don't like it don't answer. Simple. Then I don't have to sift through the b.s. My new favorite is ... 

haha so true!!! well said.

1. vedder canal
2. steelhead
3. snow on the ground
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 08:33:35 PM by hue-nut »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »

Ignited a little firestorm haven't you ;)

I was in a similar 20 some years ago when I moved to BC from Ontario. I was an avid angler for warm water species (pike, bass, walleye, perch, carp, catfish) but had no clue how to fish for salmonids in BC and didn't have the gear to do so. This was all before this internet gizmo, and I didn't know any other BC anglers, so I had to learn the old fashioned way. I found myself a fishing gillie/mentor, read books, took a fishing class, cut out and saved Eric Carlisle's articles from the newspaper, picked up every copy of the now defunct Steelheader newspaper that I could lay my hands on , subscribed to the now defunct BC Sportfishing magazine, talked to other anglers and did lots of driving and watching.  Over time, I learned the trade and picked up my favourite and "secret" spots.

So sorry, I won't share my favourite spot. Not that I'm selfish. Over the years I have personally introduced 10 of my friends to my fave spot (however I am still the only one that fishes it with any regularity) Now if I knew you better, and there weren't several thousand people eavesdropping on our conversation....

If you haven't already, become a customer of your local tackle shop, as opposed to Army Navy, Walmart, Crappy Tire...  Start to spend some money at a tackle shop, even get to know the staff, and you will have favourite spots and fishing intel bursting out of your ying yang.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »

Ignited a little firestorm haven't you ;)

I was in a similar 20 some years ago when I moved to BC from Ontario. I was an avid angler for warm water species (pike, bass, walleye, perch, carp, catfish) but had no clue how to fish for salmonids in BC and didn't have the gear to do so. This was all before this internet gizmo, and I didn't know any other BC anglers, so I had to learn the old fashioned way. I found myself a fishing gillie/mentor, read books, took a fishing class, cut out and saved Eric Carlisle's articles from the newspaper, picked up every copy of the now defunct Steelheader newspaper that I could lay my hands on , subscribed to the now defunct BC Sportfishing magazine, talked to other anglers and did lots of driving and watching.  Over time, I learned the trade and picked up my favourite and "secret" spots.

So sorry, I won't share my favourite spot. Not that I'm selfish. Over the years I have personally introduced 10 of my friends to my fave spot (however I am still the only one that fishes it with any regularity) Now if I knew you better, and there weren't several thousand people eavesdropping on our conversation....

If you haven't already, become a customer of your local tackle shop, as opposed to Army Navy, Walmart, Crappy Tire...  Start to spend some money at a tackle shop, even get to know the staff, and you will have favourite spots and fishing intel bursting out of your ying yang.

The quote that I put in bold is the best advice given to you. Tackle shops will give up some great local information IF you spend time and money in there.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

csny

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »

1. Lower vedder
2. steelhead
3. snow on the ground

;) ;) ;)

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 10:22:23 PM »

1. Vernon area Lakes
2. local trout
3. Early spring chronimids are great there.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2009, 01:38:02 AM »

1) garry point park
              2) dollies c&r
              3) winter

lol.

mr.p

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2009, 06:16:42 AM »

I want to get this thread building with your answers to the 3 questions below.
So answer the following questions in your replies, please; and include pictures if you wish.
1. Favorite spot for fishing?
2. Which fish do you catch from this spot?
3. What time of the year do you go there?

1. Beautiful British Columbia
2. Salmon Salmon Steelhead Salmon Salmon and the occaisional trout
3. year round
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »

I'm enjoying every bit of this ongoing conversation.   :)
I'm learning about fishing and also having some fun reading some commentary.
Like one of the members mentioned above, you can just talk about "one" of your favorite spots and it doesn't have to be your "most" favorite spot; and you can make it a general river body or area if you like.

I've been doing some reading and whole bunch of driving to many of the spots that people are talking about in various threads.  I just have to watch how much $$ I'm spending on gas due to limited budget  :'(

One thing I haven't done much is going to a local tackle shop; and now I'll give that a try too.

Keep your comments coming guys. 
Cheers!
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 07:46:01 AM »

Ya go to a local tackle shop and spend a $1000 and they "might" give you some good info or they will still just give you some generic try here spot. Like a snouty girl you have to wine and dine them for a couple years before they give it up plus they have to like you first IMHO. 1 trinity western ponds, Pitt lake marsh
                2 Bass
                3 spring through fall

koko

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 11:21:30 AM »

Ya go to a local tackle shop and spend a $1000 and they "might" give you some good info or they will still just give you some generic try here spot. Like a snouty girl you have to wine and dine them for a couple years before they give it up plus they have to like you first IMHO. 1 trinity western ponds, Pitt lake marsh
                2 Bass
                3 spring through fall

What ever you do don't marry that snourty girl. Spring master just using a simple aproach, if you ask enough, you just never know.