Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How was (or is) your salmon season this year?

Amazing, Best ever
- 5 (10.6%)
Ranks up there
- 19 (40.4%)
Average
- 12 (25.5%)
Not so hot
- 8 (17%)
Terrible
- 3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: November 14, 2007, 08:37:20 PM

Author Topic: Your 2007 river salmon season  (Read 6214 times)

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
Your 2007 river salmon season
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »

I have had great fishing for coho this year, ranks up there with being one of my best ever.  Pinks were excellent and from what I have read on the forums, the Springs cooperated with numbers as well.   Its a pity that the Squamish is closed for retention as I liked to bring a couple of nice chum home, but lets hear how you have done.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Your 2007 river salmon season
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:47:07 AM »

Coho numbers have been excellent, 40 to hand this year ;D the adult spring run on the vedder was fairly dismal, TONS AND TONS of jacks, couldnt keep them off, but the big boys seemed few and far between. Pinks were decent. Sockeye was terrible. Nice having a good coho year though.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Headshake

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »

Weird year ???. If you would have told me I wouldn't catch a big white spring, Squamish Chum would be dismal and that sockeye would never open, I'm not sure I would have believed it. Well, maybe the sockeye.

Pinks were ok. I found a new spot, and had some fun, but was a little slower than I was hoping for.

Chum was disappointing to say the least. After last year, having the squamish system closed is very sad.

Jack spings a plenty, and a good percentage of reds. Very nice, and fun too.

Coho! Where did all the coho come from. I've had some of the best coho fishing since 2000. Fund days, less people, very bright fish, and even some new techniques tried successfully.

Summary. I'd say it has been a good year, but not the year that I thought it would be. I guess that's fishing.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »

My highlight was pinks on the fly! What a blast!

Pat AV

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:59:45 PM »

I voted average although I have been doing alot of trout fishing so have not been out as much as I am sure many of you have.

When I do make it out I seem to run off when the fish are biting or loose them wouldn't you say GHC?
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:55:29 PM »

Too true buddy, too true - but thats fishing and the phone will ring when its cooking time for those coho's  ;)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 08:47:57 PM »

This year I noticed a HUGE increase in jack springs..Also coho fishing was excellent! Hopefully next year is the same!
weeeeeeeeeow!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:43:57 PM »

I've lost count of the coho this year, was at around 50 by the end of thanksgiving weekend... That was since about July though, my season started early this year...

A very good year this year, but nothing like the 80s, where we would have 40 fish days regularly.

Back when chilliwack hatchery would get 60,000 coho back... crazy number of fish back then.

memories!!  ;D

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Sinaran

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 10:17:06 PM »

i've voted average.
good pink year for me, as i've caught good number of them off the fraser and some at the vedder too.  chum is not too bad for me so far, closing squamish really hurts the fun though.  jack spring was a blast, as to every body else too, i've even caught one with adipose fin clipped.  forget about coho... just when everyone else is having a great coho year, i've disappointingly caught only one jack coho at the stave river.  i wonder why i couldn't catch one at all at the chedder. Cursed, probably.....
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 12:20:21 AM »

flyfishing for coho on the Stave river was dismal at best didn't get a sniff on the fly. Norrish creek was great but a Little too late as tomatoes and wild coho still biting but very few hatchery left. So once again got skunked as far as landing a chrome hatchery. Seems to me the Stave is losing its coho run but I'm not surprised.

Stave was ok for coho this year it wasnt bad at all.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 05:48:13 PM »

It was ok, all i did was experiment with new techniques, found 1 that worked fairly well. But i hooked enough fish to keep me coming back. Now steelhead is a different story, no foolin around there, just go,go,go
Fish killer 101

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 06:52:40 PM »

Yeah, I agree - fun to try new things.  Next year I will have to make more of an effort to catch coho on the fly.  I keep saying that but never get around to it  :-\

JL

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 07:15:06 PM »

Agreed. Good to try new things. Going to try for steelie on the fly this year.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 12:55:55 AM »

already tried, hard work, super rewarding, even if my first fish was a 6lb hatchery brat. so much fun
Fish killer 101