Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your "WISH LIST" for the Province.  (Read 6896 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: Your "WISH LIST" for the Province.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 07:47:56 PM »

I agree with many ideas already posted and I'd like to add...

Get rid of the catch quota on bass, specifically in water bodies where they are not officially stocked.  Better yet put a bounty on  Pike Minnows and Bass in problem areas.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 07:59:41 PM »

Example, Bring back the hatchery Steelhead and cutthroat program that was on the Capilano.

I would like to emphasize this one.  I heard from an old timer that the Capilano used to have spectacular steelhead runs until the dam cut off their spawning grounds and now their numbers are quite dismal.  With the dam constantly fluctuating/affecting water flows and the limited spawning habitat I think the steelies should be more heavily hatchery augmented and if cutthroats are native to that system ??? :-[ then them too. 

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 08:21:04 PM »

Example, Bring back the hatchery Steelhead and cutthroat program that was on the Capilano.

I would like to emphasize this one.  I heard from an old timer that the Capilano used to have spectacular steelhead runs until the dam cut off their spawning grounds and now their numbers are quite dismal.  With the dam constantly fluctuating/affecting water flows and the limited spawning habitat I think the steelies should be more heavily hatchery augmented and if cutthroats are native to that system ??? :-[ then them too. 

I think MOE cancelled the hatchery program for Steelhead?
Check it out.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 10:50:52 PM »

Specifically, I would send environment minister Penner packing to Tanzania to learn to look after our resources. Secondly send Gordon Campbell back to Hawaii to finish off his Sambuca and Pepsi. Thirdly pay a shark to hide behind the ice cube in Mr. Campbell's drink and rip another arse in his face......oops the beer talking. Anyway he already knows double talk.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
Crazy Idea?
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2006, 09:08:23 AM »

Ok..here is a crazy idea I have often wondered about. Please don't torch me if its way off track...I am just curious how it would go.

A PRIVATE company negotiates the rights to a river that is relatively fishless (I am thinking Lynn River for example). This company builds a hatchery, and stocks it with a nice compliment of coho, chinook - heck, even sockeye). In return, the "licenses" for that river are sold by the private company. And, no surprise - they cost more. Of course, patrols are far more frequent, in fact, in the fishable areas there may be an patrolman all the time. Their price reflects the more stable run of fish in that river, better catching opportunities, and better enforcement.

ok, now that I typed it out, it does sound slightly Orwellian, but I am curious to hear (in a nice way) what people might think of such an idea. If anyone has seen that old CBC special about fishing in Iceland, they will know, we have pretty rediculous access to the river.

have a nice day
Vince
You don't make friends with salad.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 11:49:56 AM »

I think the liberals would like your idea but I do not support it in the least.  :P

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Re: Crazy Idea?
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 02:25:41 PM »

Ok..here is a crazy idea I have often wondered about. Please don't torch me if its way off track...I am just curious how it would go.

A PRIVATE company negotiates the rights to a river that is relatively fishless (I am thinking Lynn River for example). This company builds a hatchery, and stocks it with a nice compliment of coho, chinook - heck, even sockeye). In return, the "licenses" for that river are sold by the private company. And, no surprise - they cost more. Of course, patrols are far more frequent, in fact, in the fishable areas there may be an patrolman all the time. Their price reflects the more stable run of fish in that river, better catching opportunities, and better enforcement.

ok, now that I typed it out, it does sound slightly Orwellian, but I am curious to hear (in a nice way) what people might think of such an idea. If anyone has seen that old CBC special about fishing in Iceland, they will know, we have pretty rediculous access to the river.

have a nice day
Vince

Fish Farming is what you are talking about.
Check out Alaska as they do this up there.

So when the fish are in the ocean who do they belong to them?
What about the wild ones that return to the river?

This by the way is a bad ideal, see private water in Britian or Quebec.

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 10:08:27 PM »

Never heard of fish farms that allow fishing, and release their stock into the wild OBD, but I am not to versed on the subject. When the fish are in the ocean, they belong to the world I suppose, just like any other salmon. And like I said, it would be in a river with little or preferable no wild fish. (does the lynn actually have some wild fish?)

You don't make friends with salad.

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: Crazy Idea?
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 09:29:15 PM »

have a nice day
Vince

my problem with that is that it would be the thin edge of the wedge, "relatively fishless" who decides at what level do you let private enterprise decide on how much to charge? guaranteed that it would be a publicly owned resource made unaffordable to all but the wealthy .something I would never support, we in BC have free access to rivers for an affordable fee. we would end up with the same system as in England and Scotland where fishing in rivers is unfordable to ordinary folk.   
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!