Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Your "WISH LIST" for the Province.  (Read 6895 times)

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
Your "WISH LIST" for the Province.
« on: November 23, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »

Ok, going on my last thread, lets see what you want the Province to do in the future?

Be as specific as you can.
Example, Bring back the hatchery Steelhead and cutthroat program that was on the Capilano.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Your "WISH LIST" for the Province.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 07:39:25 PM »

I wish the province would develop a universal guideline on forum usage for its people, eg. posting topics in the right section etc. ;)

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 07:57:24 PM »

why less chums?

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 09:12:30 PM »

Just a clarification as some people still seem to be unclear as to which agency is responsible for what.

Salmon and habitat = Federal Government
Trout, char, habitat, fresh water anglers = Provincial Government

As this thread is about what the Province (BC govt) should do, here is my wish list.

Develop more angling use plans to regulate the guiding industry.
Get jet boats off of the smaller rivers like the Pitt and Squamish.
Create steelhead fisheries in all of the former rivers that had good fisheries ( east coast of the Island and Lwr mainland) that are not going to return to anything resembling their glory days. Otherwise all of the effort will be concentrated on the Vedder and the Stamp.
Finally ... deal with the damn snag fishery that has spread off of the Fraser to the other rivers.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »

Reality:
-return to old funding levels for the lower mainland cutthroat program, particularly on the Harrison
-provide funding to fix the problems on the Thompson
-introduce a bait ban on the Thompson, Oct 1-Dec 31
-introduce wild trout release on the Thompson all year
-further educate anglers on rotational angling during steelhead season

pipe dream:
-Flyfishing only regs all year on the vedder from the CnR bridge down to the confluence of the Sumas/Vedder. I'd be happy with April 1 - June 30, as there is barely a chance to catch them in May, due to onset of freshet.
-Introduce a lottery flyfishing only opportunity in July to angle on the upper closed section of the vedder for trout, dry line and dry fly only. There are some absolutely stunning rainbows up there...

There you go...
Nicole

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:29:56 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 09:45:50 PM »

-Introduce a lottery flyfishing only opportunity in July to angle on the upper closed section of the vedder for trout, dry line and dry fly only. There are some absolutely stunning rainbows up there...

There you go...
Nicole

I really like that idea :)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 11:31:57 PM »

Me too  ;D ;D . But I would also like to add the reopening of the hatchery on the coquitlam, Increase the release of more coho, steelhead and red springs on all systems. Put more of the money that we spend on our license and tags towards the fisheries instead of their pockets.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

gofish

• doh!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 11:55:46 PM »

Reality:
-return to old funding levels for the lower mainland cutthroat program, particularly on the Harrison
-provide funding to fix the problems on the Thompson
-introduce a bait ban on the Thompson, Oct 1-Dec 31-
-introduce wild trout release on the Thompson all year
further educate anglers on rotational angling during steelhead season
There you go...
Nicole

[/quote]

You have some really good ideas there Nicole, but come on now, a bait ban up there is like me suggesting they ban all flyfishers from the Vedder and other local rivers.  I think the feather chuckers need to gain a little tolerance for others sometimes
get off the couch

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:29:22 AM »

Have more dfo officers walking the river and getting rid of the snaggers.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 09:50:54 AM »

You have some really good ideas there Nicole, but come on now, a bait ban up there is like me suggesting they ban all flyfishers from the Vedder and other local rivers.  I think the feather chuckers need to gain a little tolerance for others sometimes

It's not about that whole tolerance issue, I fish both gear and fly... I don't have a problem with gear fishers up there at all...

But it's time to address the issue, and get this river in line with so many of the other steelhead systems that have low populations, such as the Squamish ban, and more recently the upper Pitt.

Steelhead on the thompson spend up to 3 years in the river before smolting, so maybe the bait ban should be extended to all year, but allow bait for specific salmon openings only.

There should be bait bans in place for every wild steelhead river in BC where low stock levels are an issue.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 01:33:57 PM »

My wish list would include:

-More lakes managed as trophy waters
-Slot limits for all stillwater trout retention. 30-50cm would be nice.
-Expand stocking of triploids
-Expand the number of fishless lakes stocked. There are so many potholes that could host awsome fisheries with 1000 fingerling a year.
-Limit ice fishing opportunities to designated 'sacrificial' lakes
-Expand funding towards programs studying alien species.
-Bait ban on the Thompson
-Proper dyking on the Vedder to prevent blowouts and to protect habitat
-Creation of more spawning channels on systems where spawning habitat is in poor shape including lake habitats (kokanee/trout)
-Expand steelhead releases on 'hatchery' rivers. I would like to see 200 pairs spawned for brood on the vedder.
-An evaluation of ECVI and other area rivers to determine which can realisticly be rehabilitated to have self sustaining wild fish. Those that can, put programs in place to accomplish that. Those that cannot be rehabilitated, should have stocking programs in place so that they are able to maintain 'modest' angling opportunities.

I'm sure I'll think of more later....

Actions speak louder than words.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »

For everyone to stop whining about what everyone else is doing!

For everyone to stop wanting bait bans everywhere. ;) ;)

Pat AV

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 06:01:23 PM »

Give back all of the provincial funding that was slashed away from environment / fisheries when Gord the terrible took over

Get rid of their idiotic streamside development and forest practices regulations (fox in charge of the chicken coop if you ask me)

Hang Mr Campbell from a tree would be a good start IMO, or give him a bottle of rum and a set of car keys so he can take care of it himself (on a closed track where only he and his BC liberal friends are allowed to drive of course)
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

Mike D.

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 06:59:46 PM »

I would love to see an awsome trout fishery on the Harrison. This river would be a fly fishers paradise even more if we had an abundant number of Cutties, Bull, and some "migratory" rainbow (if thats the name), something to last us through the winter and summer! Maybe they should introduce some "brook trout"???? Last year was pathedic for cuts on the Harrison River, the lake was ok though.

Mike <"))))))><

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 07:18:44 PM »

steelhead and cuttroat programs brought back to local flows :)