Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: You think it's bad now...  (Read 2658 times)

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
You think it's bad now...
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:40:13 PM »

Sat in on the morning session of a Metis hunting and fishing rights case today. If the Metis are granted fishing and hunting rights throughout BC, you can bet there will be more hassles then there are now.

As was stated by the Metis lawyer today "the natives don't matter". Metis are transient people and as such their rights should be transient as well.

Currently on the river systems such as the Fraser, you really only have to deal with the nations that live along the river IE the Stolo and Squamish .  If the govt recognizes transient rights to the Metis well.... guess who's fishing without a license making claims of aboriginal right when they do not have rights to the land. They don't even recognize themselves as indigenous. Up until recently anyone and his dog could apply to be a Metis. I wonder how long it would take before they claim they netted the river as well?

::)

Somewhere somehow the metis nation has forgotten that the only reason they have native rights is because of their native ancestry. And originally, the metis (hence the name) originated from French and Ojibway or Cree decent. No Ojibway or Cree native would try to claim a right to hunting and fishing here. BC natives cannot claim rights to much of anything in Alberta. What makes the metis believe they have a right here.

And it's not just native rights they are imposing upon, they are imposing upon your rights as well. Do you really want more people fishing without licenses? How can they justify not having to buy a license to fish when they have as much claim to the territory as any of you non natives?

Oh yes, and they're asking the crown to cover the court costs so guess what that means?? Yes taxpayers you will be paying to have these people who admittedly declare that they aren't even from here, that their descendants are in fact from the eastern provinces, assert their hunting and fishing rights here.

Oh I love how the judicial system and government works hard to make life more difficult to everyone
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: You think it's bad now...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 06:54:19 PM »

Oh great. My thinking is, everyone came to this land from the 'old world'. Even the aborigionals. We're all immigrant/emmegrant. Who should have more right over others?

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 07:11:05 PM »

hmm.. that is the thought of many colonialists, that and 'they're less than human' aka savages. That's how they justified trying to kill the indiginous nations off. It's quite a barbaric and uncivilized way of thought.

There is enough remnants of ancient civilizations within the americas to prove otherwise. Recent discoveries continue to prove such.

The real irony is that the colonized are now trying to become the colonizer of the same people that have to share their govt issued rights.

~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 07:16:39 PM »

Ya but Not just the colonists do that. So does so called first nations. Look at history of Iroquios and Hurons.
And why are they here in this new world in the first place?  Resources.  They are to the resource themselves aka fish, games... savagers, no more no less than colonist.

ko

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 07:28:38 PM »

i was born in CANADA and majority of people pay taxes and have rulesthat are governed.i dont care what happened many years ago i live for today, and my children live for today and thier future, the last thing i agree with is some person ,i dont care native non native ,irish scottish , german ,chinese, japanese, british , french,or whatever background you are from this is my country and my families country SO IT SHOULD BE THE SAME RIGHTS ,RULES,LAWS,FOR EVERYBODY................so dont cry to me about the metis,getting the same rights as you.get a job pay taxes buy fishing liscences ,your road is my road,and stop saying your being predjudiced against. maybe that reason is because of your own crying and bickering.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 07:32:32 PM »

i dont care what happened many years ago i live for today, and my children live for today and thier future, the last thing i agree with is some person ,i dont care native non native ,irish scottish , german ,chinese, japanese, british , french,or whatever background you are from this is my country and my families country

I totally agree with you. I live for today and especially for my children. As did my grandmother and my great grandmother and my great great grandmother. This is my country. My people are traced back before anyone had sights on 'the new world' it isn't a 'new world' it is an old world that already had people on it.

What you have claim to is the government.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 08:03:27 PM »

Anyway don't shoot the messanger, I'm only giving a heads up on what might be next. A people with no claim to the territories within BC, who claim to be neither native or non native - asserting a right granted to them by your government based solely on their native decent -  Saying we (Metis) can fish when we want, where we want in every part of bc UNLIKE the native nations that pre-exist who are only granted fishing and hunting rights within their traditional territories.

If the natives don't matter... clearly the metis are saying you don't matter either.