Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chum daily quota - Vedder vs other systems, WHY?  (Read 6687 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
chum daily quota - Vedder vs other systems, WHY?
« on: November 26, 2008, 03:19:05 PM »

Not that I crave for Chum, but it always puzzle me why the daily quota for Chum is 1 in a larger system like the Vedder, and it is 2 for lesser systems like the Stave & the Chehalis. How do fishery people come up with such a quota number? The chum in the Vedder are hatchery assisted too with the hatching and rearing troughs. The chum in lower Vedder are quite chrome and offer quite a productive fishery that can rival the Squamish. With the coho return so low, perhaps DFO should increase the daily quota for the abundant chum in the popular Vedder. This is much like having fun with the Pink when the Sockeye return is low.  How do fishermen go through the channel to lobby for such a review or change of the quota?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:24:50 PM by Steelhawk »

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: chum daily quota - Vedder vs other systems, WHY?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:55:20 PM »

If you really think about it, it is kind of a good thing. People are complaining about less coho and other fish species, but the bottom line is that if one species suffer they all do for the most part. Chum are a huge part of the ecosystem, so the more of them the better, because all of those rotting carcasses give nutrients to the river. What dissappoints me is that fisherman for the most part have no idea that they are important, and they gut and chuck, etc. I have even heard of people saying that "they are doing the river a favor by killing some chum." How is that a good thing?

I think they should leave it at 1 per day. At least that way there will be a few hundred less fish in the dumpsters when people take them just for the roe and throw the rest of the fish out  :-\

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »

Being one that cares more about the fish than the meat I think its a good idea to leave it at one. Infact they should lower the limit of coho as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chum dad

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 04:18:47 PM »

I agree, make it a 2 fish limit for Coho and it would take the pressure off the fish, river and fishermen! As for the 1 chum limit on the Vedder they should leave it the way it is, those fish are crucial to the ecosystem of a river.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:14:16 PM »

I believe the chum run in the Vedder is not as strong as a lot of us think.

Buck can update us on how it was this past season.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »

as far as lowering the quota for coho, I would be interested if anyone out there limited out on the Vedder? I think that one chum per day for the Vedder is fine, I can't see needing to take more, although there were some beauties this year.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 07:09:36 PM »

Total Chum Released from Chilliwack R Project
ReleaseYear TotalReleased
2006           1403135
2005           2026803
2004           1742687
2003           1623937
2002           1612557
2001           1809284
2000           1314928

Total Chum Released from Chehalis R Project
ReleaseYear TotalReleased
2006           3051646
2005           6162391
2004           5912133
2003           5853743
2002           5885195
2001           3949094
2000           1226653

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »

if the chehalis had more water u'd see alot more chum and coho. There are still alot of fish 2 go around, and the 1 fish limit is good, coho should be reduced. Chinooks are fine.
Fish killer 101

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 08:56:01 PM »

Chilliwack R. Hatchery does not produce as many chum as Chehalis.  Retention quota for hatchery enhanced rivers usually is determined by fishing opportunity and brood stock availability.  When there is no problem of obtaining required brood stock and with current fishing quota, fishing opportunity is kept within reasonable range then there's no point of reducing quota.  Like wise, only when a water body is under utilized it's quota may be raised.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:35:09 AM by BwiBwi »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »

If you really think about it, it is kind of a good thing. People are complaining about less coho and other fish species, but the bottom line is that if one species suffer they all do for the most part. Chum are a huge part of the ecosystem, so the more of them the better, because all of those rotting carcasses give nutrients to the river. What dissappoints me is that fisherman for the most part have no idea that they are important, and they gut and chuck, etc. I have even heard of people saying that "they are doing the river a favor by killing some chum." How is that a good thing?

I think they should leave it at 1 per day. At least that way there will be a few hundred less fish in the dumpsters when people take them just for the roe and throw the rest of the fish out  :-\

Very well put. So if chum is that good for a system, why the Vedder being a larger system and with a larger hatchery is not having more chum production? Chum go to the ocean within a few weeks from hatching, so they are not a budget concern. So can somebody explain why the Vedder stock so few chum compared to Chehalis? Not that I want more chum (who need such an ugly white meat fish  ;D). This is just a discussion to try to understand why  and how DFO or the hatchery people make decision on stocking fish and allocating daily quota.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 09:39:42 PM by Steelhawk »

SeaRun

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »

"How do fishery people come up with such a quota number?"   Makes you wonder    ???    The Chehalis had a 4 coho limit while the Harrison had 2 a few years ago even though most of the hatchery coho in the Harrison are Chehalis fish.   The Harrison has now been changed to a 4 coho limit.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:53:04 PM »

Chilliwack River Hatchery: (604) 858-7227 between 8 AM - 4 PM
Bill Shaw, DFO regional recreational fisheries coordinator: 604-666-3271

Please post after you find the answers.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 10:30:24 PM »

Geez, I thought you are on vacation in Euroland, Rodney. Forget about the chum here. Just focus on the sea trout there.  ;D
I thought these folks are forum members too and they should be reading our disucssion.  ;D

Seriously I will look them up and see what they have to say.  :)

Have a great vacation.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 10:33:06 PM by Steelhawk »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »

I believe it has more to do with fish biology and habitat type.
They don't come up with numbers just like that at the hatchery.
Coho, chum, pinks, chinook spawn in different water types.
Maybe Vedder has more coho and chinook type water and less chum.
Chum and pinks usually spawn at the first major barrier (before rapids, falls shoots), while coho spawn in small creeks. Chinook on the other hand spaw in main stem of the river.
You generally don't see chum or pinks jump big waterfalls.
But you will see sockeye and chinook do that.
It's probably something along those lines.

Or maybe someone at the hatchery, just doesn't like chum  ;D

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 11:37:21 PM »

The Chehalis Band loves Chum, and so do the Asian Buyers, check out the price of Roe some days and you'll get a good idea why Chum are still being produced in High Numbers

Cam are you saying there is something political with the over production of chum ;D while the production of the more costly coho and steelhead fish are seeing their production numbers cut. :o
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.