Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Here it comes.  (Read 9851 times)

farky

Outdoorsman

Re: Here it comes.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »

Much much needed.

Apennock

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »

Hallelujah!

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 11:07:39 PM »

Super happy to hear this! Hopefully it's enough to bump up the rivers somewhat substantially and take us out of this record drought. Hopefully the extreme weather we have been experiencing lately is a one time thing as a result of the El Niņo this year. Looks like fall is on its way! :D

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »

I was actually cool the other morning.
OK ,more cool than usual. ::)

Burbot

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 04:44:19 PM »

Here what comes? Does not look like much rain to me...

fishmonk

• Fish on baby!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:34:26 PM »

15-20 mm on Friday, 30-40 mm on Saturday...looks like a good 2 days...it won't blow the rivers out but it will definitely bump it up and bring in some fish.... ;)

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 11:33:41 PM »

Would someone care to  articulate how that water influx will affect both the river and the fishes behaviour?

Tylsie

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »

Would someone care to  articulate how that water influx will affect both the river and the fishes behaviour?

I'll take a shot. With a substantial rainfall the creeks and rivers will rise and the temperatures will fall, although very briefly. This will cause the salmon that have been holding in the mouth to push up the rivers in a dash to spawn. But that is only part of it. The severe drought we have been experiencing will prevent the ground from being able to absorb this sudden downpour. This will result in very dirty water, slides, isolated flooding and what I believe to be very difficult fishing conditions. In my opinion, the fish will not be holding, and they will not be overly aggressive. Unless your lure is right on top of them I wouldn't expect them to bite. They have only one thing on their mind and that to get to the spawning grounds. I could very well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but if we get the expected downpours be careful out there, I expect some bad conditions.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 03:16:22 PM »

Thanks!

Robert_G

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 05:03:20 PM »

I'll take a shot. With a substantial rainfall the creeks and rivers will rise and the temperatures will fall, although very briefly. This will cause the salmon that have been holding in the mouth to push up the rivers in a dash to spawn. But that is only part of it. The severe drought we have been experiencing will prevent the ground from being able to absorb this sudden downpour. This will result in very dirty water, slides, isolated flooding and what I believe to be very difficult fishing conditions. In my opinion, the fish will not be holding, and they will not be overly aggressive. Unless your lure is right on top of them I wouldn't expect them to bite. They have only one thing on their mind and that to get to the spawning grounds. I could very well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but if we get the expected downpours be careful out there, I expect some bad conditions.

We may actually dodge this bullet.
Friday and Friday night are actually supposed to fairly tame in terms of rainfall, but still enough to soak the ground without flooding the rivers. HOPEFULLY, when the BIG RAIN comes on Saturday, the grounds will be just wet enough to absorb enough rain that the rivers rise slowly and don't get too dirty. I know I'm probably being overly optimistic, but as of right now, the weather forecast is favoring this scenario.
However, some models are predicting as much as 3-4 inches by Monday which would cause dirty water no matter what time of year it was.
It could get interesting.

Tylsie

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 05:09:59 PM »

Thinking back on what I wrote, it was pretty harsh. Not my intention. If the river you want to fish is open this will be the best weekend to get out there in a long time. Throw something that makes some noise, preferably in a dark colour, be safe and have fun.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 05:29:12 PM »

Thinking back on what I wrote, it was pretty harsh. Not my intention. If the river you want to fish is open this will be the best weekend to get out there in a long time. Throw something that makes some noise, preferably in a dark colour, be safe and have fun.

I think your post was a pretty good idea of what could happen. I disagree that they will lose the aggresiveness. Last run the water quite low, and I was fishing a piece of water that the Pinks were just zooming through. No holding, no rolling, just straight up and into the river to get the baby making going. That said, it was also the best Pink day Ive ever had. You could watch a school of 50 just whip by you, and at least one or two would chase the fly. But, as quick as they were there, they were gone. Wait another 10 minutes, and another school moves in.

You could be right. I hope youre not though!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 05:47:02 PM »

Weather warning in effect for Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. Looks like blowout rain to me. The ground is just too dry to soak anything up. https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc40#462cwvr

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 06:27:52 PM »

"Due to the drought conditions over these regions, the soil has a reduced capacity to absorb water. Heavy rainfall thus increases the risk of flash flooding. Additionally, given the recent prolonged dry period, road surfaces may become slippery resulting in poor driving conditions."[/size]

You could be right.
[/color]