Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Snaggers  (Read 7338 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Ian Forbes

Re: Snaggers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »

In Alaska they allow residents to harvest their year's supply of salmon by any method: sporting, snagging or net. I'm not sure of the numbers each family is allowed to harvest, but there is a limit. Maybe we could do the same here with a tag number allowed... same as marking your sport caught salmon, ling and halibut license tag. Once you've filled your license then you must stop fishing. No more catch and release and keep fishing.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:39:44 PM »

Its not about harvesting for everyone.  ::)
The Bigger The Better!

Abu

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:32:05 PM »

I saw this today at South arm in Richmond. while fishing just before the lightning storm, I looked at the guy and shook my head...he then proceeded to say he didn't care. I wish DFO would hand out citations to these guys just as police give out driving infraction tickets. 1 ticket 100$ that would make them think twice about snagging. I don't understand their thinking...you could buy a pink from save-on for 5 dollars which would be less than gas and 1 fishing lure alone. It's obvious they are not fishing for sport...so why bother fishing at all?... if the objective is to have fish on the dinner table the easy route would be to buy the fish. Check out Garry point at the peak of the run...you'll see the gong show.

banx

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »

well maybe social media may be the answer.  theres websites for people who think they're hot. theres websites saying people are a cheater, theres websites for fat people at walmart.

maybe one for 'snaggers' or poachers would be a funny idea.  everyone has a smart phone..... just snap a pic and upload the location and date/time.

we can all get a laugh, and when I roll up on the bank between 386 people. I can say "hey man, great snag last thursday, love the size 6 hook."  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:47:07 PM »

Check out Garry point at the peak of the run...you'll see the gong show.

The "gong show" in Richmond shouldn't be associated with the snagging activity, at least not the majority of the participants. From what I've observed in the past few seasons, while the river can be lined up with anglers, overall it is a very positive atmosphere and just about everyone knows and obeys the rules. Those who do not know are usually willing to learn and there isn't a shortage of people who are willing to help either. I've chatted with officers who would do a routine check from point A to point B on Dyke Road, for license, barbless hook, and daily quota, and more often than not, the compliance rate is at 100%.

On the other hand, the ones who choose to snag are often the ones who have been doing it for a long time and think they are entitled to do so. Once in awhile, I would see the pink salmon crowd disperse after fishing slows down. Everyone had caught their share and went home happily, then suddenly a couple of rougher looking guys showed up, complained about the crowd, while holding a rod rigged with two treble hooks (hey, the tidal portion allows you to use two hooks on one line, right? ;) ) and proceeded to rip away. It is done at popular spots when fishing is slow because there'd be less people around watching. It is done more commonly at secluded spots like the south side of Shady Island.

Funny though, Not sure why someone would go through the trouble snagging in the Tidal Fraser, since it is probably easier to catch pink salmon by spincasting properly than snagging.

Abu

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:57 PM »

^^^^^^ Sorry tried to quote but didn't work out

I agree with you, may be "gong show" was not the best description/term to use. I just noticed last pink season about 10+ guys snagging in that area...(That's what I meant by the term Gong Show) I should have mentioned the bulk of the crowd were fishing fine. Yes the majority are "reel" fishermen/woman who know the rules and are genuinely good people with good ethics out to enjoy the fishery and willing to learn. I met a few today who were awesome. My main gripe are the guys who reply "I don't care"... It's obvious they know their technique is unethical and against the law. So apologies if I offended anyone who is an honest fisherman/woman enjoying the pink run this year.

Rodney, I know exactly what your talking about on the other side of Shady Island! It disgusting! and the sad part is others see it and think it's OK...So they proceed to do the same.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:32:13 PM by Abu »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »

I agree with Rodney. DFO was down at the lower Fraser and checked over 50 anglers. All were in compliance with the rules and regulations.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »

Its not about harvesting for everyone.  ::)
So true.

superstick

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »

What is wrong with harvesting

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »

Yikes!.. Ok, I'm not going to complain about how crowded No.5 Rd can be anymore. Those guys are catching/snagging some pretty chrome fish though.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »

well maybe social media may be the answer.  theres websites for people who think they're hot. theres websites saying people are a cheater, theres websites for fat people at walmart.

maybe one for 'snaggers' or poachers would be a funny idea.  everyone has a smart phone..... just snap a pic and upload the location and date/time.

we can all get a laugh, and when I roll up on the bank between 386 people. I can say "hey man, great snag last thursday, love the size 6 hook."  ;)

Haha, right on.
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 03:36:21 AM »

So apologies if I offended anyone who is an honest fisherman/woman enjoying the pink run this year.

No offence taken. :) I just wanted to emphasize the positive aspects of this local fishery to encourage other newcomers to learn and pass on the correct etiquettes. I think the past decade or so we have seen quite a bit of transformation in all of these fisheries around the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. While there are indeed issues which need to be addressed, we should also recognize all the positive movements which have occurred.

People should definitely keep phoning in any snagging activities. The ones who intentionally choose to snag will do it blatantly. By reporting all these activities, they will be caught up by fishery officers eventually.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 07:32:03 AM »

I just wanted to emphasize the positive aspects of this local fishery to encourage other newcomers to learn and pass on the correct etiquettes. I think the past decade or so we have seen quite a bit of transformation in all of these fisheries around the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. While there are indeed issues which need to be addressed, we should also recognize all the positive movements which have occurred.

I also agree that we should also recognize the many positive aspects.  I fished the Squamish River ("Squamish gong show" as some calls it) several times this year for pinks and observed that vast vast majority of fishermen were law abiding. Some of the short comings I saw were fishermen not changing their setups immediately when it was leading to multiple foul hookups and improper release of fish. With many first time pink fishermen present some of this is expected and I also witnessed many proactive engagement by more experienced fishermen to correct this situation. Many families and kids were having a good time and that was also very positive.  :) 

MoeJKU

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »

I like to call it them "rippers" cause they are constantly ripping on their rods. Everywhere you go there is going to be a few. But some places "KWB" its a rip show all day long. The guys arms must get tired, after a few hours. No i know some are ok their but, its an example.