Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixed float vs. sliding  (Read 12532 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Fixed float vs. sliding
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »

Don't dismiss braid without knowing all the facts.

I wasn't dismissing it so much as I was trying to discourage the unfamiliar who have thier Fraser river sockeye rigs who now want to use there new-found prowess on other systems.
Also it'll take longer than OUR lifetime to bio-degrade.
And I've seen a lot more of it littering the rivers this fall
Attach some mono to the braid and replace that when needed.
Just my opinion.

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »

I wasn't dismissing it so much as I was trying to discourage the unfamiliar who have thier Fraser river sockeye rigs who now want to use there new-found prowess on other systems.
Just my opinion.
Does mono bio degrade fast???
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »

Sliding floats are fine in slow water, but in fast water, you never know if you're on bottom.  also, its tough to reel in to change drift "lanes" as your bait is drifting with a sliding float.  I prefer fixed most of the time.

t-bone

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »

i find a fixed best (if you can move it whenever needed). one line wrap and you can adjust on the fly

steve B

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 12:00:02 PM »

fixed floats for me, I only use those foam floats from gibbs with a rubber band around the float no bobber stops needed as they do screw up your casting its best just to try both and see which set up you like to fish everybody has there own preference

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:51 PM »

That makes sense if you are fishing a really deep pool but there isn't many spots in the lowermainland where there are 25ft pools, or even close, besides the fraser. Wouldn't the stopper hit your guides as you cast and the line comes out of your reel? Fixed float just seems way easier and quicker to set up Imo.

The stopper I use doesn't seem to be noticeable while casting.  I simply tie part of a duncan loop (minus the loop) with a separate piece of line to the mainline and clip the tag ends down.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »

Just my opinion.
I have heard this one from some environmentally concious fishermen before and I think that may be tru true if you choose to use a leader with the same breaking strain as your mono.

I really think the environmental argument is bogus if braid is used properly.  I definitely agree about attaching the mono to the braid and replacing whats needed - works great because I can get a big difference in breaking strain between the mainline and the leader without compromizing line capacity on my reel or the ability to get a good drift. (..plus I get to keep my float and weight when I do snag up or a fish breaks off :))
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:18:08 AM by fishseeker »

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 08:47:19 AM »

Does mono bio degrade fast???

No, not fast but it will break down (UV rays make it brittle) into much smaller pieces and eventually, though not gone, will disappear from sight and become less of hazard.
(NOTE: this is why you should store your lined reels and spools of line in the dark or at least out of direct sunlight when not in use and replace your line occasionally as the UV rays will weaken your line)
Though still obviously not good for the environment it would appear to be the lesser of 2 evils (IMO).
In a perfect world EVERYONE would take there trimmings and buggered line home with them instead of littering the banks and channels of the rivers.

I really think the environmental argument is bogus if braid is used properly.

Properly is the operative word.  I'm sure you and many others are responsible and do use it properly but with the amount of line( both braided and mono) littering the rivers (mono being the lesser of the evils) there obviously is a problem with others lack of concern.

But this thread is supposed to be about floats.

I do use sliding floats and fixed floats However I generally use a stop at the bottom as well and find it easier and quicker to adjust my depth (especially with numb fingers in the winter).
I would remove the bottom stopper if I felt I had to for a deep pool but I just like the simplicity.

Preliator

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »

I took all the insight from this thread and took it to the water this weekend. I tried out the fixed float and ended up using it all weekend. Don't think I'll ever go back to the sliding method.

JTReed

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 03:50:46 PM »

just an observation.

fixed float on braided; sliding on mono.

i've seen sliding floats not really slide quick enough as they get hung up easier on the braid esp. power pro.

Totally agree there