Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultimate Fishing Town  (Read 6678 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Ultimate Fishing Town
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »

At this point it is basically a two horse race between Dauphin Manitoba and Port Alberni. The rest are not even really in the running.

Dauphin currently has the lead by ~ 500 votes. I was notified several dozen times by folks trying to enter votes from BC that the vote function was NOT operating out here from some time late last night to just a few minutes ago. Verified this myself over a dozen times before I lodged a query with the site. No apologies, no explanation, simply noted that the vote function (for us) was now up and running again?   ???

Donno if that was a glitch or a fix, but we have some catching up to do! IF you want to see BC come out ahead of the Flatlanders, I would politely suggest you get your votes in now, and as many times as you can before the contest ends!

Go BC GO!!!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Have a listen to CBC at 5:30 pm for a rather interesting and related interview...   ;)

Robert_G

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »

Wouldn't that be interesting if Port Alberni actually won.

"The biggest hole in Canada wins best fishing town"

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

"The biggest hole in Canada wins best fishing town"

Nice Slag Robert  ::)

Anywhere BC is Better than Manitoba!   ;)
And Port is the ONLY one in the running...

Cheers

Robert_G

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 02:21:05 PM »

Cheers

Hey I'd come over there anyday for some of that Chinook fishing you rub in our faces each year, but I couldn't imagine having to live there year round.
Not to long ago, Canada.com did an article of the worst places to live overall in Canada. This is based on poverty, crime, scenery, etc, etc, etc, pretty much everything.
If my memory serves me right, Port Alberni was 3rd or 4th on the list of the worst places to live in Canada.
Another interesting note is that Vancouver Island hosts 3 out of the bottom 10 places to live in Canada.

Can you guess the absolute #1 worst place to live in Canada?? The article stated that the public voted Williams Lake the #1 worst place to live in Canada.

azafai

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »

I never been to Port Alberni but I voted for
I just want BC to win because it deserves it
let do not split the votes for BC towns

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »

Stay over there then Buddy! No room at the Inn here!  :D

The Slough Sharkers have waaay to much time on their hands to vote rather than say... ummm... Fishing!
They are pounding it to BC! Ouch!

A little help here PLEASE!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 08:28:58 PM »

Hmmmm... Seems like the opposition got caught cheating. Go Figure...   ::)

WFN disallows 1,500 fishy Dauphin votes

You don't get ahead by cheating.

So says the World Fishing Network (WFN), which subtracted about 1,500 votes from Dauphin's bid to become Canada's Ultimate Fishing Town because of votes entered with false email addresses.

On Monday afternoon, Dauphin quickly flip-flopped from first to second in the standings and a post was made on the contest website's blog announcing the mass removal of fraudulent votes.

"For those of you keeping an eye on your votes or your competitions votes you may find that some towns have lost some votes which is not a mistake. (The World Fishing Network) is trying to keep the voting period as fair as possible and would like every town to have a fair and equal chance of winning. Please remember that you may vote with only one single email address per person and may only vote once every 12 hours with your email," the blog read.

Don Stokotelny of Intermountain Sport Fishing Enhancement, which runs one of Manitoba's best youth fishing programs in Manitoba and will receive the cash prize to put toward these programs should Dauphin win the title, was in contact with the WFN to find out why the votes were lost.

"Every week the WFN does a review on all the email addresses, checking whether they're legitimate or not. Apparently there were some people punching in whatever. Now they're doing more security to make sure they're all legitimate. We don't know who it was or where they were submitting the votes from, but we were told that shouldn't happen anymore," Stokotelny said.

Carla Wolfenden, the tourism and events co-ordinator for Dauphin Economic Development and Tourism, said the loss in votes was a disappointing setback for the town's campaign.

"It was frustrating, for sure. But I think the word is out that people need to smarten up. We've been shaking our fingers a little bit warning people to play fair," she said.

Dauphin, with 20,061 votes, sat second to Port Alberni, Sask.'s 20,194 votes as of Wednesday at 10:30 p.m.

But despite the loss of pride, Dauphin is still almost a shoo-in for the final round of voting.

Both cities are more than 14,000 votes ahead of third place Nipawin, Sask., in the West Region. The top two towns in each region make the final round of voting, along with four wild cards chosen by the WFN.

Wolfenden says the city is already looking forward to the finals.

"We don't want to seem too cocky, but we're getting ready to do some more campaigning. I'm excited. Even if we don't win, we've had a lot of fun doing it," she said.

http://www.brandonsun.com/breaking-news/wfn-disallows-1500-fishy-dauphin-votes-101549248.html?thx=y

Funny thing though, I always thought Port Alberni was in BC, not Saskabush   :D

Cheers,
Nog

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »

Go Alberni and Chilliwack. Good job Nog, on keeping the public aware of the contest and voting.
The Bigger The Better!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »

Cheers

Ah, but can you catch pickerel and jack in Alberni??  ;D   I grew up 50 miles from Dauphin.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »

Ah, but can you catch pickerel and jack in Alberni?? 

Thankfully NOT!  :D

I grew up 50 miles from Dauphin.
  :D Did you Really just say that out loud?  :D
OK, explains lots.  ;D
... Kidding! :D

Port made it through the Semi-Finals with 2,615 ahead of the competition from Dauphin Manitoba. Voting for the Semi's ended today. Thanks to Every Single One Of YOU that helped! We got the First Down!

The Top 2 towns from Ontario, West and Atlantic regions (3 Regions with 2 entries each) plus 4 "Wild Card" entries as determined by WFN will advance to the Final Round of Voting starting September 7th. Kinda wonder just who will be in the Finals, but hey, can any of them do what we can as far as Fishing ???  ::)

Back atcha with a reminder on the 7th Folks! Although we already did a fine job in Round One, apparently the job ain't quite finished... yet...   ;)
Just making us show what we out here in BC are made of!   8)

Cheers,
Nog