Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garcia Mitchell 624  (Read 5764 times)

Chuck

Garcia Mitchell 624
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »

While visiting my folks in the UK this Christmas, I found a rod and reel my neighbour gave me when I was about 7 years old. I never used them and they just got stored in the attic.  The rod I left with my dad for now but the reel I bought back with me.  It's a Garcia Mitchell 624, made in France.  It's in excellent condition bar a couple of rust spots. It's funny, when I opened the case the smell took me back 30 years to when I was a boy!
Does anyone have any experience with this reel?  Can't post pics, I think they are too large to upload.

Chuck

Re: Garcia Mitchell 624
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

Picture

jim

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »

I was given an old catalog recently, circa 1968 or something. I will try looking it up there. Might try their website, but i don't think they have a legacy menu.
 I did find some info on a Pezon-Mitchel reel on the web.
 I will get back to you asap.

Chuck

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »

I found a couple of forums with similar posts to my own 😊
Seems it's a big fish reel. Bullet p proof and people love it, but not worth the bounty i thought 😕
I'll be putting it in the for sale section if anyone wants to do a trade. Thanks for looking Jim  8)

fisherforever

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »

Try getting hold of Milo on here, I believe he collects older Abu Garcia reels.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »

Try getting hold of Milo on here, I believe he collects older Abu Garcia reels.

Indeed I do, but my collector's focus is on vintage and collectible Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels, especially those made in Sweden in the pre-1980 days.

The reel you are interested in selling is a big game salt water baitcaster, in the class of the more widely known Penn Senator 4/0.

While it is a nice reel to have and use, it is of little collectible value, as the market is swamped with them. A quick search on eBay will show you that many of them have been sold in the recent months, fetching little more than 20 bucks a piece on average, with NOS units in unopened boxes not fetching three figures.

My advice to you would be to clean it and service it (it's a very simple reel) and gift it to someone you know can put it to good use (e.g. someone who fishes for halibut and salmon in the chuck).

Cheers,

Milo

Chuck

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »

Thanks Milo,
I'll clean it up and keep hold of it.  It's a nice looking reel at least, and it has some sentimental value.  Who knows, maybe i'll be pulling in some Halibut with it one day  :)
This was the rod that it came with (not my auction) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARCO-FASTNET-TRADE-MARK-BOAT-SEA-FISHING-ROD-2M-4CM-excellent-condition-/251327186736?nma=true&si=4iS%252BQm%252FWOgsf3Brez%252BfhMK9SfVI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jim

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:14:42 AM »

sorry to take so long to get back. I looked for the reel in my 1964 Fisherman's Digest. It was not in there. they listed a 600, 602, 604, 606 and 4 others under Garcia headings. So reading between the lines, your reel is newer than 1964.
 ask about drag washers and parts etc. at mikes reel repairs and you might learn something.