Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long shanked hooks on spoons  (Read 9796 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Long shanked hooks on spoons
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »

Thanks for all the advice guys!

There seems to be a concensus that in general it's best to put some distance between the spoon and the hook, using either a dacron string or a swivel.

If I get lazy and use just using a hook, I am still not sure whether or not the longer distance helps. It sounds like Ralph does better with shorter shanks.

I hear that Ralph is used to working with a short shank...

Sorry Ralph couldn't resist.

KarateKick

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »

I hear that Ralph is used to working with a short shank...

Sorry Ralph couldn't resist.

Some long rods have no backbone.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »

Some long rods have no backbone.

LOL

KarateKick

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »

Guys, what is the right size hook to use for spoons and spinners to target stocked trout?  What size is good for pink salmon?

I am getting confused by the sizes I see. It seems like the same size number means very different widths depending on style and manufacturer. What width do you use for lures during winter pond/river shore fishing? Do you use different widths for different style hooks?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:43:12 PM by KarateKick »

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »

Some good questions there.  For best hook size I do not look at this from the perspective of what is the best size to catch fish, but more or what will get the job done and more importantly what will do the least damage.

I love R&B 50/50 spoons for their weight, shape and movement.  However, I hate the way they come with (IMHO) huge oversized 2/0 or 3/0 hooks.  This may be ok for a large salmon over 10 lbs but anything smaller and you risk damage to an eye because of the hook gape.

Looking at intruder flies, which are often equipped with size 2 or 4 trailing hooks and they are very capable of bringing in a 20 to 30 lbs steelhead.  So you do not necessarily need a big hook for a big fish.

As a result I change all the hooks on the R&B spoons for size 2 barbless hooks with the 3 split rings, which I can use for steelhead, Coho, Pinks etc, but I am also reassured that they can be used to catch way smaller fish like bulls or trout with less risk of damaging fish on a predominantly C&R river I like to fish.

As for pinks, I catch them on anything from size 1/0 jigs to size 1 or 2 on spoons and anything from size 4 to 10 on flies.

Sorry I'm note sure what you mean by width.  Do you mean wire guage of the hook or the gape, as in distance between the point and shank?

I do not typically vary hook size based on pond, river or shore fishing.  The hook size is based on fish size, species and need to match the "bait" or if I need to be stealthy.

HTH.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:41:48 PM by Knnn »

KarateKick

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 01:08:57 AM »

Thank you do much for taking the time to write the detailed explanation!

When I said I was confused by different style hooks with the same size number having different "widths", I meant different gapes. A size 2 kirby hook seems to be much narrower than a size 2 octopus hook.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »

Ahhhh ok.  I'm in the same boat as you.  Different manufacturers seam to have different interpretations of hook size.  I thought there would be a universal (metric) standard.

So I just make a subjective assessment what I think is the right size based on the type of fish I'm after.  After a little while you get to know and prefer a certain size with a certain manufacturer.