Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River September 6  (Read 2784 times)

Aki

Chilliwack River September 6
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »

Fourth trip to the Vedder/Chilliwack in the last couple of weeks, mostly practicing on my first ever centre pin my son bought me for my birthday. The pinks are starting to come in larger numbers. They were moving through mid afternoon as I was in the middle part of the river. Hooked into a few and got some practice with the new reel. Also, to my surprise hooked into a coho that I lost after a while (broke my 8 lb leader) as I still need more practice with the reel! The coho made a couple of jumps and then took off downriver; I 'breaked' a bit too much with my hand and that was the end of the fight...That was the first coho I have seen. Also saw a couple of spent red spring.

Taboo

Re: Chilliwack River September 6
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »

Spent the last few days in the lower river. The pinks have tight lips this year!  Roe & shrimp floated through schools of pinks didn't yield a nibble.  Went to spincaster with some success.  There is an absolute disproportionate number of males to does, so hoping this is more of signs to come for the arrival of the does as the boys scout out the river.  Fly guys were having tons of success in the canal yesterday afternoon until the sun dipped behind the trees and the river literally seemed to go silent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:44:51 PM by Taboo »

brandooner

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:14:36 PM »

ive been having really good success with blades under a float, 50/50 gold and silvers for the most part. Jigs are obviously another go to, and ive been doing quite well on the fly. California neils and small sparse pink flies with some flash.
The Fishin' Musician!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:27:19 PM »

first time out this season and hit the vedder around 9am. pinks were schooling along the edges...some were beaten up but many were nice and bright. used my smaller 7ft rod with 8lb line and casted spinners for a bit. no luck so tested out a dollar store jig colored like a small rainbow trout. jigged it along the school of pinks and ended up with 1 male and 1 female. by 11 the wife called so i packed her up......noticed an ol timer casting and birdnesting every 3rd cast. looked really frustrated so i chatted with him for a few minutes....fixed his birdsnest and reset his drag. then offered him my male pink to take home. he said i havent caught any fish this year and he thanked me. no problem i said and called it a day. time to cure some roe.

anorden

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 10:48:38 PM »

Bar fishing slowed the last couple of days. Natives were netting in chilliwack area today which definitely didn't help. No chinooks for us but plenty of pinks and a surprise coho on the fly!

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »

Today was fun, full of bright fish.