Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, July 13th 2013: Cheese  (Read 3390 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, July 13th 2013: Cheese
« on: July 13, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »

Today was my first outing to the Cheddar this season. I was really going to camp for a couple of days with some friends and show them the river and how to fish it.
So the expectations were not very high.
I was pleasantly surprised how nice the river looked. A bit high but good visibility.
We started the morning around 6 ish and by the time we got to the river to fish it was 8.
After showing my friend and his wife how to use their gear I threw a few batches of roe into the water where I would not expect to find a fish.
Suddenly my float dips and game on. I am new to the centerpin gear so I have no clue what's going on. The fish shakes like a trout but I can't bring it in.
The fish then took a run and I finally started to feel the reel and realize that it's probably a spring.
After about 5 minutes I had the fish beached around 10 lb male. Just over 64 cm.
Lots of sockeye jumping around.
Some "Fraser dudes" came down with their tackle boxes and nets and got into one nice sockeye, dragged it onto the beach and fish started to bleed.
He wanted to take a picture for his wife or something.
So I had to give them an educational moment about fish handling. The worst part is they had waders and a net and still practically killed that sockeye for a picture.
Maybe they are made of sugar and afraid that they will melt if the come into contact with water.
Hopefully they learned something today.
All in all for me 1 outing 1 fish so I finally caught a fish with the centerpin.
I have to tell the centepin guys that it wasn't all that mind-blowingly exciting to land a fish with centerpin as opposed to the baitcaster.
Maybe I was just in shitty mood from overheating in the sun.
Tight lines.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:16:45 PM by adriaticum »

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: Chilliwack River, July 13th 2013: Cheese
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »

I have to tell the centepin guys that it wasn't all that mind-blowingly exciting to land a fish with centerpin as opposed to the baitcaster.
Maybe I was just in shitty mood from overheating in the sun.
Tight lines.

x2    I really think you are in a shitty mood... ;) :P

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »

Thanks for the report, heading out tomorrow so I hope I have as good an outing. Always nice to see some pics and if we catch something I'll be sure to post it, with a report of course. Thanks again adriaticum !!!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »

300 fish and 10000 fishermen during the run. I'd say you won the lottery. Nice fish. 

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »

300 fish ... during the run.

Wow, is the chinook run size really that small?
A rig out of water catches no fish.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:08:45 PM »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »

Nice pics adriaticum!
Salmon fishing in short sleeves sure looks good. :)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 12:45:40 PM »

Nice pics adriaticum!
Salmon fishing in short sleeves sure looks good. :)

I still have a headache from the sun and dehydration from yesterday. Shorts and flip flops are way better right now. :)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:08 PM »

I still have a headache from the sun and dehydration from yesterday. Shorts and flip flops are way better right now. :)

It was shorts and sandles for me.  I love wet wading!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:17:40 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 04:55:07 PM »

flip flops are a bad idea on a river bank if your fishing. Step in the water and they may wash away, get them wet and they are slippery to walk on.....etc. wear proper strapped sandals and no worries.

That's a very nice fish you got there. usually most reds have already turned a bit grey by now or by the least have that purple hue above their lateral line.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »

flip flops are a bad idea on a river bank if your fishing. Step in the water and they may wash away, get them wet and they are slippery to walk on.....etc. wear proper strapped sandals and no worries.

That's a very nice fish you got there. usually most reds have already turned a bit grey by now or by the least have that purple hue above their lateral line.

Yeah flip flops would be a problem.
This fish does have the pink hue. It's just the lighting that makes it look as chrome as that. Helps to have a pro photographer with you ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »

Sandals, with or without straps, might keep you cool but they are not the greatest for walking and wading along the river, especially if the rocks are large and round. You risk the chance of hurting your feet and ankles. A good alternative is to buy a pair of neoprene socks and have them underneath your wading boots. Having these on keep your legs pretty cool, but still offer a bit of warmth in the cold water and ankle support.

Nice fish A. :)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 09:02:40 AM »

Sandals, with or without straps, might keep you cool but they are not the greatest for walking and wading along the river, especially if the rocks are large and round. You risk the chance of hurting your feet and ankles. A good alternative is to buy a pair of neoprene socks and have them underneath your wading boots. Having these on keep your legs pretty cool, but still offer a bit of warmth in the cold water and ankle support.

Thanks Rod, I'm thinking a pair of hip waders you can put on over shorts would probably have enough ventilation

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

Nice spot too  :)
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:21 AM »

good piece of advice. I bought my neoprene socks from MEC in their paddling section for $7.