Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Float trouble?????  (Read 1568 times)

mko72

Float trouble?????
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »

I've been targeting rainbow trout with a float lately and I decided to give Pautzke's Balls O' Fire a whirl.

Lately I've been getting tons of bites but they're not very committed, know what I mean? I'm used to seeing the float go down and stay down for a moment. Lately, the float goes down in the blink of eye, FULLY submerged, gone from sight, and it comes back with so much speed it almost pops out of the water!

I used to use a small white/red float and switched to a Thil float that's brown/green because it's easier to see.  It's very close to the same size so I don't think it's too buoyant to pull down.

I've caught fish using shrimp, worms, fake worms, powerbait, dough, eggs, gulp alive etc.  Lots of stuff.  So what's the deal with the give and go?  I've made sure there's enough of the hook sticking out that it should definitely set. 

In my mind I keep picturing the fish coming at the bait sideways, closing its mouth around the bait, but missing the tip of the hook.  That's one tricky trout!

Fillibert

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
Re: Float trouble?????
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »

The fish could be getting educated. In california, my family caught lots of carp that have never been caught ever before in the same lake. They then start developing tactics to eat the bait without getting hooked, or the avoid the bait completely.
in your case, it could be that other people caught too much fish with those eggs, so the fish think before eating the bait.
Someone was here

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »

I keep picturing the fish coming at the bait sideways, closing its mouth around the bait, but missing the tip of the hook.

Maybe they don't like the taste of the bait   :D :D
A rig out of water catches no fish.

rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:52:32 AM »

Just to reference, because my post was linked to this one.  The bobber set up that I was using was this one here:

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=thillslipbobberrig