Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flytying Night -- Coquitlam Monday Night 6:30-9:30  (Read 9597 times)

skunkaroo

Flytying Night -- Coquitlam Monday Night 6:30-9:30
« on: October 07, 2006, 11:05:11 AM »

We've been running a flytying night in Coquitlam for the past few years and I thought it would be nice to get the word out a little further afield.

The Coquitlam Tying Night is set for this coming Monday from 6:30-9:30pm. Unfortunately it's also Thanksgiving Monday, but I figure that after a weekend with the relatives, you'll probably want the break ;D

Details:

The Coquitlam Tying Nights are open to everyone from newbie to expert. If you're just getting started or interested in learning, we always have a few spare vises, tools, materials and a little free instruction to get you going.

The evening takes place on the second and forth Monday of each month (with a break around Christmas). There is a $5 cover to pay for the room, with anything left over going towards door prizes. The wings are cheap on Monday's and there is a great selection of beers on tap. The tying takes place in one of the meeting rooms and not in the bar. From time to time we will set up a fly swap--put in three flies plus a toonie, get three flies back with any money collected going back into the kitty--although for this coming Monday we won't be doing a swap.

6:30-9:30 pm
    Ridgeway Legion
    1025 Ridgeway Ave.
    Coquitlam
    Here's a map link: Map Link

Door Prize:

On offer for the evening's door prize: a do it yourself flytying material organizer, and if we get an 9 or 10  bodies out there will also be a new pair of super sharp fine-tip tying scissors.

Theme:

This tying night's theme is "Boatmen" (you don't have to follow the theme, but that's what I'll be working on).

Hope to see you there,

Aaron (aka skunkaroo)

Fall calendar available next month.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 11:07:55 AM by skunkaroo »

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Flytying Night -- Coquitlam Monday Night 6:30-9:30
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 12:21:08 PM »

LOL i'm suprised you haven't advertised on this forum yet.

I might stop by on my way out of town. wont have any tying stuff with me though.

sliverbullet

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »

sounds interesting might drop in as well

skunkaroo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 01:24:06 PM »

Everyone is always welcome. We generally meet the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month in the off season (Oct-May) and occasionally outside of that. I'll post here prior to each get together.

Had a great time with the boatman patterns, ended up tying about seven different patterns between us.

Tight Wraps,

Aaron

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 07:57:55 PM »

There is no off season in this region. If you put in the time and actually do your homework on all waters (lake, stream, beach, & estuary) there is always water to work and a speicies to target.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

skunkaroo

Re: Flytying Night -- Coquitlam Monday Night Monday the 23rd 6:30-9:30
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:42:49 PM »

Maybe so newsman, but lets call it the "slow season" for some.

COQUITLAM TYING NIGHTS...

We're on for this coming Monday the 23rd from 6:30-9:30pm.

Theme:

This tying night's theme will be Coho/Chum Flies (although you're welcome to tie what ever you like).

Fly Swap:

We will be hosting a fly swap this week--participation is voluntary.

Door Prize:

On offer for the evening's door prize: A new pair of super sharp fine-tip tying scissors.

Hope to see you there,

Aaron (aka skunkaroo)

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
Re: Flytying Night -- Coquitlam Monday Night Monday the 23rd 6:30-9:30
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 08:15:48 PM »

Maybe so newsman, but lets call it the "slow season" for some.

We're on for this coming Monday the 23rd from 6:30-9:30pm.

Theme:

This tying night's theme will be Coho/Chum Flies (although you're welcome to tie what ever you like).

Door Prize:

On offer for the evening's door prize: A new pair of super sharp fine-tip tying scissors.

Hope to see you there,

Aaron (aka skunkaroo)

Great to get the word out to any fly guys and tyers.

These tying nights at Coquitlam are the best way to get into tying flies and learning how to use them, get out to Coquitlan and get involved, you can't go wrong.

Were from all stages of tying flies, Peter came from Kit's and had a blast, he brought nothing except his interest in getting started, Aaron is just one of some that help interested new tyers, anyone is welcome to come down and just look and listen, it's were we all started!!

RB
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »

I am moving to Coquitlam soon
i would love to check this out
hope to see you soon

skunkaroo

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 02:12:17 PM »

NEXT COQUITLAM TYING NIGHT

We're on for this coming Monday the 13th from 6:30-9:30pm.

Details:

The Coquitlam Tying Nights are open to everyone from newbie to expert. If you're just getting started or interested in learning, we always have spare vises, tools, materials and a little free instruction to get you going.

The evening takes place on the second and forth Monday of each month (with a break around Christmas). There is a $5 cover to pay for the room, with anything left over going towards door prizes. The wings are cheap on Monday's and there is a great selection of beers on tap. The tying takes place in one of the meeting rooms, and not in the bar. From time to time we will set up a fly swap--put in three flies plus a toonie, get three flies back with any money collected going back into the kitty.

Theme:

This tying night's theme will be Leeches and the Carey Special (although you're welcome to tie what ever you like).

Fly Swap:

Ridgeway Legion
1025 Ridgeway Ave.
Coquitlam

Door Prize:

On offer for the evening's door prize: A few very cool Gold Hat pins from Mustad courtesy of our own Jack Simpson, A portable fly tying kit, and some handy utility boxes.

Hope to see you there,

Aaron (aka skunkaroo)

Schedule:
13th November 2006
27th November 2006
11th December 2006 (I will need a volunteer to run this one)

skunkaroo

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 03:47:11 PM »

It's Contest night!

We're on again this coming Monday the 27th from 6:30-9:30pm and this time, courtesy of the good folks at Mustad and pro-staffer Jack Simpson, we will be having a little contest--a very little contest. We will be tying itty-bitty flies on sizes from 22 down two 28 . All hooks will be supplied, and I'll even bring down a selection of micro threads to try (for those with serious prescription glasses there will be slightly larger contest hooks available).

At the conclusion of the contest there will be a draw among the participants or a lovely selection of Mustad Signature Fly Hooks.

Details:

The  Coquitlam Tying Nights are open to everyone from newbie to expert. If  you're just getting started or interested in learning, we always have  spare vises, tools, materials and a little free instruction to get you  going.

The evening takes place on the second and forth Monday of  each month (with a break around Christmas). There is a $5 cover to pay  for the room, with anything left over going towards door prizes. The  wings are cheap on Monday's and there is a great selection of beers on  tap. The tying takes place in one of the meeting rooms, and not in the  bar. From time to time we will set up a fly swap--put in three flies  plus a toonie, get three flies back with any money collected going back  into the kitty.

Theme:

This tying night's theme will be Itty-Bitty Flies (although you're welcome to tie what ever you like).

Fly Swap:

Ridgeway Legion
          1025 Ridgeway Ave.
          Coquitlam

Door Prize:
On  offer for the evening's door prize (in addition to the hooks above): Storage boxes, various knick-knacks and a super sharp pair of tweezers.

Hope to see you there,

Aaron (aka skunkaroo)

Schedule:
11th December 2006 (tentative)

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »

are you guys still meeting ???
i need some help on tying flies

skunkaroo

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 01:31:34 PM »

Yes we are, and sorry for the late reply. I've booked the hall through the spring into June.

We're Back On!

A bit of confusion over booking the hall but it's been straightened out! We're  on again this coming Monday the 22th from 6:30-9:30pm. Sorry for the late notice.

Details:

The  Coquitlam Tying Nights are open to everyone from newbie to expert. If  you're just getting started or interested in learning, we always have  spare vises, tools, materials and a little free instruction to get you  going.

The evening takes place on the second and forth Monday of  each month (with a break around Christmas). There is a $5 cover to pay  for the room, with anything left over going towards door prizes. The  wings are cheap on Monday's and there is a great selection of beers on  tap. The tying takes place in one of the meeting rooms, and not in the  bar. From time to time we will set up a fly swap--put in three flies  plus a toonie, get three flies back with any money collected going back  into the kitty.

Theme:

This tying night's theme will be Outdoors Direct and FlyBC night, as we will be getting an opportunity to sample a good selection of Kamasen Hooks and tungsten beads, recently purchased from Outdoors Direct by the good folks at FlyBC.

Fly Swap:

We will be hosting a fly swap this week. As always, participation is voluntary.

Ridgeway Legion
1025 Ridgeway Ave.
Coquitlam

Door Prize:

On  offer for the evening's door prize:  A new pair of fine tying scissors and various other knick knacks for the fly tying nut.

Hope to see you there,

Aaron (aka skunkaroo)

P.S. If you want an e-mail reminder about these fly tying nights, drop me a line and add you to the list.

Spring-Summer Schedule 2007:
  • 22 January 2007 - Outdoors Direct Night
  • 12 February 2007 - Epoxy Fly Night
  • 26 February 2007
  • 12 March 2007 - Nymph Night (special prize)
  •   26 March 2007 - Bloodworm Night
  • 23 April 2007
  • 14 May 2007 - Skagit Night (Dries and Emergers)
  • 28 May 2007
  • 11 June 2007 - Spring Wrap up

skunkaroo

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »

Epoxy Night In Canada!
We're  on again this coming Monday the 12th from 6:30-9:30pm.

Details:
The Coquitlam Tying Nights are open to everyone from newbie to expert. If  you're just getting started or interested in learning, we always have  spare vises, tools, materials and a little free instruction to get you  going.

Theme:
This tying night's theme will be Epoxy Flies. There will be at least one epoxy dryer available and a few tubes of epoxy for everyone to use. If you've got some cool epoxy patterns that you've been wanting to try out, now is your chance. Epoxy is bread and butter for many salt water patterns but you freshwater types shouldn't be scared off--a thin coat of epoxy will bulletproof any chironomid pattern and epoxy headed shiner patterns are a snap. If anyone else has a portable dryer they are encouraged to bring it along. Please keep in mind that a with all themes, participation is voluntary.

Fly Swap:
We will be hosting a fly swap this week. As always, participation is voluntary.

Ridgeway Legion
1025 Ridgeway Ave.
Coquitlam

Door Prize:
On  offer for the evening's door prize: Various knick-knacks for the fly tying nut.

Hope to see you there,

Aaron (aka skunkaroo)

P.S. If you want an e-mail reminder about these fly tying nights, drop me a line and add you to the list.

Spring-Summer Schedule 2007:
  • 12 February 2007 - Epoxy Fly Night
  • 26 February 2007
  • 12 March 2007 - Nymph Night (special prize)
  •   26 March 2007 - Bloodworm Night
  • 23 April 2007
  • 14 May 2007 - Skagit Night (Dries and Emergers)
  • 28 May 2007
  • 11 June 2007 - Spring Wrap up

skunkaroo

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 04:37:37 PM »

A bump for those lonely hearts who have nothing to do on a Monday ;)

Aaron

James

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 08:52:23 PM »

Is there some sort of material list for each nights theme ? I don't know what I would need to bring , or do I just bring a box full of my material/gear and start tying ?

I am very new to tying , but I have completed 10-20 of my own creation flys , mostly dry's and leeches .

I guess I will have to stop by next session and see what it's all about .

Add me to the email list if you can .
Thanks.