Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultus Lake  (Read 6662 times)

Spooner

Re: Cultus Lake
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 08:06:52 AM »

thanks for all the incite into the foodchain guys  ;D Don't really want to show the kids that it's OK to head to a new lake and start killing any by-catch.
I'm sure we'll have a blast however it turns out and we always have some good chats on the water.

Spooner

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 08:48:15 AM »

Spooner I can understand how you would not want to show your kids that kind of experience...

Don't worry about it though, it's been shown that anglers don't take nearly enough of them out of the population, and that the seining projects have been far more effective to bring the numbers down.

:)
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Spooner

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 09:54:42 AM »

They actually seine there.! It must be a huge problem.
I take it it's a beach seine. 

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:04 AM »

Yes it's quite bad, here's a link with a backgrounder from DFO:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sci/mehsd/projects/pikeminnow/intro_e.htm

The project has four components:

a) Northern pikeminnow

Removal - Pikeminnow prey on juvenile Cultus sockeye, contributing to a "predator pit" that may prevent their recovery from current low abundances. We estimate that there are approximately 60,000 to 70,000 adult pikeminnow (>20 cm) in Cultus Lake. We have developed fishing techniques that resulted in the removal of 4,000 to 5,000 pikeminnow in the late spring and early summer of 2005 when the fish were onshore. Due to the presence of non-target species (game fish such as trout and char and other native species such as suckers and shiners) we will only use techniques that will have a low bycatch and allow the live release of non-target fish. We intend to increase our catch of northern pikeminnow by expanding current techniques and investigating different approaches. These include:

1) Stationary Traps - Four trapnets (1 more than last year) will be fished from early May until mid-July. These were one of the most effective methods used in previous years. As well hoop-nets, modified black cod traps, and modified prawn traps will be fished in the spring and summer and at other times of the year on an exploratory basis.

2) Angling - Angling has been a very successful technique for capturing northern pikeminnow - 40% of the fish caught last year were by rod and reel.  As well as the annual pikeminnow derby on the lake, we will conduct 2 additional pikeminnow outings. These are sponsored by the Fraser Valley Salmon Society and supported by the local guides as well as DFO. We will also cover expenses (boat gas and tackle) for five FVSS experienced volunteer anglers. The DFO netting crew will also angle for northern pikeminnow as part of their duties.

3) Purse seining - Purse seining was used in the 1990's with reasonable success. This method appears most successful when spawning and feeding aggregations located in shallower waters are targeted, generally at night. Commercial fishers will be engaged in June to purse seine in the lake. The presence of our regular trapnet and angling crew will be able to inform the seine crew on aggregations as they appear in the lake to target fishing effort. An observer will be placed on the seiner to collect biological information and tags from the catch.

4) Other methods - We are investigating other techniques that have proven effective elsewhere. One method, long-lining, has proven effective on pikeminnow in some areas on the Columbia River, but has never been used on Cultus Lake pikeminnow. We will investigate its utility for our circumstances and, if warranted, we will conduct pilot programs with the aid of commercial fisherman and others. Past reports and data have a wealth of distribution and behavioral data that will be examined for potential harvest opportunities that are not currently utilized.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

Good posts Nicole and Gold Hammered Croc.  The pikeminnow removal program has always been a thorny issue for me but I certainly supported it.  This years sockeye smolt survival rates do suggest the program has been successful but what happens now to the shiner and stickleback populations?  same with char and trout....  Time will tell.

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »

Time to attach a dollar amount to each fish like our cousins to the South.

Some guys make tens of thousands.

Money is a good incentive and no one can argue with that
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »

The Fraser valley Salmon Society will be holding the annual pike minnow derby on June 14 at Cultus Lake, more prizes and activities than ever I am told.
It is now going to be called the Greg Clark Memorial Pike Minnow Derby in memory of Greg who passed away suddenly a few weeks ago. Greg had worked on this derby for some time and was the organizer of the derby last year.

More details shortly

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »

The Derby is a great way of enjoying lovely Cultus Lake. I thought I had a winner last year, but was tailed between the leg. Not this year though :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?