Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cultus Lake  (Read 6663 times)

Spooner

Cultus Lake
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »

Any info would help .....!

The posse (the wife and two kids)  ;)and I have a chance to stay in a cabin next week. I'm wondering if it would be worth while to bring the boat?
Never really heard of anyone fishing or CATCHING up there . I always thought of it to be more of a ski/tubing lake.Anyway I would love to spend a couple of days trolling around and usually head to the interior this time of year.

Thanks in advance, Spooner

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Cultus Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 01:00:01 PM »

I tried fishing there with my father probably 25 years ago and we never caught a thing lol
I seem to remember someone telling me that the name "Cultus" is a native word for dead !! in other words "dead lake" meaning no fish haha, don't know if there is any truth to this but it is something I have remembered since my childhood...
someone on this site talked about there being a derby that takes place there for some sort of small fish close to shore so there must be some sort of life in the lake
if you end up fishing best of luck
cheers TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »

Spooner, if you want to target typical BC sportfish, then it probably isn't worth it to bring the boat. There are trout and char in Cultus Lake but not many. On the other hand, if you are looking into getting the kids into some fish on the boat, then it certainly is worth it. There are plenty of northern pikeminnow and largescaled sucker in the lake. They can be caught with bait (dew worm, garden worm, hot dog pieces) easily.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »

I was told by an old logger that I use to work with Cultus meant devils and was in reference to large Eels that are said to inhabit the deeper areas of the lake.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:44:29 PM »

There's fish in cultus, some bigger rainbows are caught off main beach every season... And many more smaller fish.

Another place you could go is at the far end, at lindell beach, and troll around there... make sure to use light leaders, as the fish are very leader shy due to crystal clear water...

Have fun! Last time I was there, I caught a garbage bag full of pike minnows:

Make sure you kill any of those things that you catch, as they eat the Cultus Sockeye that are trying to come back.

Have fun!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 04:38:56 PM »

A friend of mine lost one around two pounds last night spinning from the shore.

The time to fish them is in the Spring is when the dogwoods are flowering.

The people that have fished it for years who know where to find them can do quite well at times. ;D ;D

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »

Not very many trout in that lake... they mostly migrate in and out....
Not many pikeminnow left either.... they have killed thousands... because they think thats wats causing the sockeye decline... well I call my smelly socks, show me evidence.. they havent even found many if any with fry in there bellies.... heres an idea, go kill the cutties and dollies in the lake because there eating more fry than the pikeminnows.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

island boy

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »

fished up there last fall and did well. gang troll and a worm. it was around the main beach area. at one point i was bringing up my gear to check it and there was about 5 good size cutties following it up. giver a go, you never know.
you kill it, you clean it.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »

Yup its true that Cutties and Dollies will eat proportionally more sockeye smolts and fry than the pikeminnow, but its the volume of pikeminnow that is of concern.  There aren't many trout and char in the lake but they are there and I've seen them in the last couple of weeks on the surface slashing as fry schools as the chum and pink fry are heading out.  Quite the sight.  Even larger kokanee jumping to rid themselves of parasites.   I've caught Cultus pikeminnows that have regurgitated their stomachs this winter/spring and the digested remains of smolts have come up.  The pikeminnow use the deeper water (+100 ft) in the winter time which is the same habitat as the sockeye use all year round.  Incidently, smolt fence has just recently counted 300k juveniles migrating downstream which is well over what the estimates were originally.  More to come too, so its looks like the efforts of the seine boat, plus all the derby participants is showing signs of paying off.

The pre-spawn winter conditioned pikeminnow is actually quite a beautiful fish.  I've caught many that are as silver chrome as can be (as well as amazingly golden) but they do eat sockeye especially during the winter months when there is not much else available to them.  Once water temps warm up, they will switch to redside shiners, bugs and sticklebacks as the pikers move closer to shore.  Plenty of suitable foraging habitat in all that milfoil that is in the lake. 

The program is essentially in effect to give the sockeye a better head start.  Most of the factors that cant be effectively controlled are interception from the commercial fleets, recreational bycatch, disease (like parvacapsula), ocean survival and degraded spawning habitat.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:43:27 PM by GoldHammeredCroc »

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »

I only fish it in the summer, and there are lots of little fish that huge the shore, couple inchs big. I also drag worms along the bottom if I can get out further, and last year my dad manged a 4 pound sucker, which we stoked the camp fire with.
The Bigger The Better!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 08:10:41 PM »

last year my dad manged a 4 pound sucker, which we stoked the camp fire with.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2002/0102_02.html

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 08:26:43 PM »

It was ugly, but arnt we suppose to keep the cultus lake pikeminnow numbers down? Iv read that they are endangering the already fragile cultus lake sockeyes.
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »

Not very many trout in that lake... they mostly migrate in and out....
Not many pikeminnow left either.... they have killed thousands... because they think thats wats causing the sockeye decline... well I call ********, show me evidence.. they havent even found many if any with fry in there bellies.... heres an idea, go kill the cutties and dollies in the lake because there eating more fry than the pikeminnows.
You are a newcomer to this area and do not know all the hot spots..... yet. ;D ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

Largescaled sucker, northern pikeminnow, two different species with completely different ecological niches (one predates, the other scavenge).

This is why fish culling should only be operated, organized, monitored by the authority, otherwise fish are misidentified and killed. When you are fishing outside an official cull, the regulations apply. Fish that are intended to be consumed are required to be released.

Greater respect and better treatment should be emphasized on species that have less commercial and recreational importance in this province.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »

Were no better than a seal when we indiscriminately kill bottom feeders......and were bottom feeders when we want to kill a seal. :-\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?