Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anchor Winch  (Read 1834 times)

Splitshot

Anchor Winch
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:21:12 PM »

I have a 16' open boat and I am getting too old to be pulling the anchor so I am looking for an anchor winch that will take away all my pain. I am looking for one that will not break the bank and that can lift a 35# anchor. I had a boat company quote me $4500.00 installed but that is way out of my price range. I have seen a few smaller boats on the river that have winches and I am sure they did not spend that much putting one on.

Mike D.

Re: Anchor Winch
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »

35lb anchor...hmmmm...no need to go windalass there (the 4500 installed) as that takes fabricating too....

Look at the minn kota deckhand winches! they're under 200 bucks and they can do anchors up to 30-40lbs...the only problem there is that they only can do rope...but they just BOLT ON! I think they have a low density 800lb braided rope pre spooled too....

Not too shabby, but meant more for still water fishing...but on a smaller anchor/boat I think it could do the trick....

OR

You could do it with an armstrong winch....gotta love the good ol' hand crank winches....I little easier on the body, and that much money... :D

Mike <"))))><

salmonlander

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »

Why not use a slider and ball, Works just fine. I have a powerwinch 26 on my sled. pulls up that anchor 80ft/min under a grand.

tnt

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »

I will take a stab at this to see if I can shed some light....when we build a winch system we have a really good look a the strength of the bow first... if there is reinforcing that needs to be done it will cost a little money.. but the main costs involved in the winch package are
1. the winch Min.$799.00
2. anchor and roller(they come as a set and cost around $750.00 for the pair) you cannot use just any anchor roller to make the system work flawlessly
3. Wiring (16 ft boat x2 is 32 feet at 5.00 per foot of 4AWG wire =$160.00
4. labour to install winch is about 6 Hrs worth at $90 per hour  =540.00
5. 3 strand rope 79.00
6. 1/4 BB grade balanced chain 25 feet at $5 per foot  =125.00
7. cost of reinforcing and customizing to make winch work... $100-500 depending on the boat.
8. cost of plumbing in dual batteries $450.00

so when you put all the variable together it adds up pretty quickly... I am around 3500.00 before taxes... but it all depends on the boat....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....