Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser coho early September  (Read 9784 times)

black jack

Re: Fraser coho early September
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2006, 09:36:36 PM »

WHOA!

The right guy, with the right stuff, in the right water, at the right time! Good work FF!

Also good to see the strength of the species!

Good work FF - winning every which way!

Thanks for sharing,

BLACK JACK

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2006, 09:37:00 PM »

Up to 8' of vis on the Fraser! Now that's the funniest thing I've heard.

calfisher

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2006, 09:49:25 PM »

Felix, you have come a long way from the kid in shorts I met casting flies for pinks in the Seymour a couple of years ago.  Well done!

Cal

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 09:53:30 PM »

WoW!!  Thats got to be one of the nicest coho pictures I've ever seen!  BP

It's pretty hard to take a bad photo with a Canon Powershot S3 IS

Geez, you even have the same camera as me, thats the trick.  Great camera.
Fish on!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »

I was there chucking spoons two weeks ago and trust me there was 8' if not more visibilty no lie !!!
I never thought it got that clear either.....and I am talking in the chilliwack area

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »

You obviously need to fish the fraser more often. ;D

Nice fish Felix. Its troubling that some peoples over zealous concern for fish stocks has turned this thread into another flossing debate, but that's expected.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »

Great...so earlier this year the Vedder is completely blown....I'm up and want to try out my new 9wt. set up...only spot with any bank and room to back cast is above tamahi...I had a ball trying out the new gear and now i get slapped with trying to floss a fish with my $150 brand new versa tip line.... >:(.....great..just great...

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2006, 06:55:56 AM »

I hear the more you spend the more elite/ethical you are! Everyone come off their high horse and come to grips with the fact that a beautiful WILD Coho was caught in the Fraser while the powers that be are trying to protect them from unselective techniques. This fish was released, however prior to the Sockeye slaughter I am sure more than one of you were dead set against the flossers 'accidentally' catching and releasing the rare Sockeye from decimated stocks.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2006, 07:32:13 AM »

I hear the more you spend the more elite/ethical you are! Everyone come off their high horse and come to grips with the fact that a beautiful WILD Coho was caught in the Fraser while the powers that be are trying to protect them from unselective techniques. This fish was released, however prior to the Sockeye slaughter I am sure more than one of you were dead set against the flossers 'accidentally' catching and releasing the rare Sockeye from decimated stocks.

I am one of those anti flossers and to me I have no problem with him catching and releasing this beautiful coho. He was not using a betty,and a 12' leader. The guy was throwing flies. He caught a wild coho that looks like is going to go on to its home river. It would be different if someone who flosses posted a picture of this since the fish in question would have been snagged and would not have taken the presentation. I have no problem with this since the fish was actually caught ethically. How many reports have you seen with someone catching coho on the Fraser on the fly? None that I have seen so far this year.

Excellent fish, excellent report. That fish is a beauty  :)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2006, 10:31:00 AM »

What does it matter if that wild coho was flossed or it took the hook ??? ???
From the conservation stand point we are should not be fishing for them.  That coho represent the endangered stock that any person that has any sense of conservation should be left alone to complete it migration.  I found it disturbing that a great number of fishermen/women would think that it is a great accomplishment to capture a fish from endangared coho stock. 
This is the kind of behavior of 'Sport Fishermen' that I find so distasteful.

I am a 'Meat Fisherman' and proud of it.  I want there to be more fish that can be taken for food in the future for future generations.  I do not fish the waters for fish that needs our help for their survival.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2006, 10:57:35 AM »

He was fishing for springs, not coho... The likelyhood of actually hooking a coho is so incredibly low that this added to the achievement...

And there is no guarantee that this is a Thompson fish either, that is merely an assumption. Lots of strains that are not hatchery augmented are moving past at this point...

That fish was chrome and around 19 pounds, a prime specimen... A fish of a lifetime for many anglers.

Xgolfman, I'm not sure what you're pointing out, but maybe some backlash had to do with the cultus sockeye strain, that are endangered, but I really am not sure, just suggesting a point.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2006, 12:45:08 PM »

He was fishing for springs, not coho... The likelyhood of actually hooking a coho is so incredibly low that this added to the achievement...

And there is no guarantee that this is a Thompson fish either, that is merely an assumption. Lots of strains that are not hatchery augmented are moving past at this point...

That fish was chrome and around 19 pounds, a prime specimen... A fish of a lifetime for many anglers.

Xgolfman, I'm not sure what you're pointing out, but maybe some backlash had to do with the cultus sockeye strain, that are endangered, but I really am not sure, just suggesting a point.

Cheers,
Nicole

Nicole,
If your argument is valid then it is okay to BB the Fraser.  Your reasoning would conclude that it is a great achievement if the person caught a big wild Coho while BB'ing the Fraser R.  After all, the numerical outcome based on probability would be the same.

I think your argument is not well thought out and extremely flawed.

Cheers,
Jack
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2006, 12:55:57 PM »

Well you don't know this angler Jack, unlike most flossers, he acutally knows what he's doing... Why don't you just ask him where the fish was hooked, in or outside the mouth?

Do you know anything about about how to swing flies for Salmon Jack? Do you actually spey fish on the Fraser? I bet not, so you really have no idea or concept of how difficult it is.

Cheers,
Nicole
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:57:47 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

Finally someone else steps up to the plate to voice the similar opinion as me. Thanks M.J. I know it's a little tough to go against the views of some of the members.

bbronswyk2000--------You have the part right about not using a bouncing betty correct but I would be willing to bet that his leader was 12' long, or more. I also recall someone posting about a 4" fly being used. What size hook was this on? Was the hook weighted at all to get into the 'zone'?

Nicole-------Regarding hook placement. Do you then believe that the countless number of Sockeye that I have hooked over the years that were not hooked from the outside in, 'took' my presentation while flossing.

It sounds to me like there is a little back peddling here.

Cheers,

Lee

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2006, 01:34:07 PM »

Stop beeking if there was good viz how can you guys think this fish could have not bit? Rod catches coho in the lower fraser with bad viz. Do you think hes flossing with spoons and spinners? People like you ruin these forums. Thats a beautiful fish FF