Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259097 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #510 on: August 25, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »

2001 actually, the pink salmon fishery never opened in the Tidal Fraser River that season.

IIRC they shut it down early in '99 because so many new anglers out to take advantage of the pink salmon bonanza also used it as an excuse to poach coho which were closed. Even numbered off cycle years were also closed for a time.

People should consider many of our interior salmon stocks have been troubled for decades not just the last few years. With careful management, good angler practice and agreeable weather and ocean conditions we can still have good fishing in the future. Some times however we will not be able to fish. We don't own the fish neither do we have a high priority of access. In fact sport angling is dead last. Commercial interests have complained for years that sport angling is open, stocks are good but there is no commercial harvest.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #511 on: August 25, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »

This year might be even later opening and thus spoiling it for most of the peak run in Lower Fraser....all because you can catch a bloody sockeye on a pink spoon in tidal Fraser, rrrright - Thanks DFO!

For what it's worth, the test fisheries over the last 4 or 5 cycles  show the bulk of the pink runs are in the Fraser from roughly around Sept 5-20 and my own experiences would concur, though never really tried after the 25th. A slightly delayed opening should still let you catch a good portion of the run.

As for sockeye by-catch in the Tidal Fraser, yes it's basically impossible while targeting pinks, though the subtleties between that and flossing in the non-tidal appears mostly irrelevant the DFO. Especially since there is already a conveniently defined Tidal/Non-Tidal boundary (Mission Bridge) below which 'non-selective' methods are basically ineffective, once the pink numbers reach a point of confidence in reaching escapement goals, then it seems reasonable to open at least the Tidal portion, if impact on sockeye is still a concern.

Tangles

« Reply #512 on: August 25, 2017, 01:35:50 PM »

I bet you if they opened only the Tidal for pinks today it would make a zero or close to zero "impact" on the status quo of sockeye and chinook, but then that's just me and my opinion doesn't account for much.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #513 on: August 25, 2017, 01:46:12 PM »

IIRC they shut it down early in '99 because so many new anglers out to take advantage of the pink salmon bonanza also used it as an excuse to poach coho which were closed. Even numbered off cycle years were also closed for a time.

People should consider many of our interior salmon stocks have been troubled for decades not just the last few years. With careful management, good angler practice and agreeable weather and ocean conditions we can still have good fishing in the future. Some times however we will not be able to fish. We don't own the fish neither do we have a high priority of access. In fact sport angling is dead last. Commercial interests have complained for years that sport angling is open, stocks are good but there is no commercial harvest.

Thoes damn millennials! oh wait....

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #514 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »

I bet you if they opened only the Tidal for pinks today it would make a zero or close to zero "impact" on the status quo of sockeye and chinook, but then that's just me and my opinion doesn't account for much.

Derby reach would be lined up with 300 flossers, Flossing is so effective that guys were lined up fishing in the middle of the night. Hence the only fishing for salmon during daylight hours regulation 

poper

« Reply #515 on: August 25, 2017, 02:12:09 PM »

The only thing you will catch flossing at derbys reach is a snag, there wouldn't be 300 guys flossing,there would be lots of people casting spoons and fly fishing, I have never seen a person flossing there.Theres no reason why the tidal part of the fraser should be closed to salmon fishing.

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #516 on: August 25, 2017, 03:50:18 PM »

The only thing you will catch flossing at derbys reach is a snag, there wouldn't be 300 guys flossing,there would be lots of people casting spoons and fly fishing, I have never seen a person flossing there.Theres no reason why the tidal part of the fraser should be closed to salmon fishing.

we should give our beautiful precious salmons a break this year and focus on other important and plentiful species like pikeminnow, sculpins, resident chubs and even the dolley
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Tangles

« Reply #517 on: August 25, 2017, 06:27:43 PM »

we should give our beautiful precious salmons a break this year and focus on other important and plentiful species like pikeminnow, sculpins, resident chubs and even the dolley
Yes, they'll all be chasing small crocs in about a week from now  ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #518 on: August 25, 2017, 06:29:27 PM »

when the sockeye run is big, there are a lot 'buzz bombers' fishing the tidal Fraser. Most sockeye caught and kept are snagged. If DFO put on a major campaign to ticket such people that issue would diminish considerably.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Tangles

« Reply #519 on: August 25, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »

This might have happened when the run was 20mil, not 1.5mil. Cosidering their numbers now you might snag a steelhead or a sturgeon before any sock.
There simply isn't a logical reason to keep the Tidal closed for pinks.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #520 on: August 25, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »

I hope it opens soon... :(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:43:57 PM by wildmanyeah »

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #521 on: August 26, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »

I hope it opens soon... :(
Would be nice if they open during the long weekend or earlier. The bridge toll removal would make it cheaper but I wonder if we will get the gridlock we had with the old Portmann Bridge.

I remember driving home from the Vedder and have to go through rushhour on  Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:51:40 AM by fic »

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #522 on: August 26, 2017, 08:10:51 AM »

I myself live on the side of the lower Fraser (just moved) I havnt been seeing much jump around or move. But damn have I seen a bunch of boats and nets.  My question ie does the Maple ridge side of the lower Fraser see any much action? The boats are all on the other side.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #523 on: August 26, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »

This might have happened when the run was 20mil, not 1.5mil. Cosidering their numbers now you might snag a steelhead or a sturgeon before any sock.
There simply isn't a logical reason to keep the Tidal closed for pinks.

suck it up and live with it.

They don't even have an estimate for Fraser pinks and it's not looking too bright at this point.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:13:48 PM by RalphH »

Tangles

« Reply #524 on: August 26, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »

According to DFO the current closure is NOT dictated by  low pink numbers. And don't tell me they have no clue about the most plentiful run (as bad as it is) a few days from now.