Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259111 times)

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #495 on: August 23, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »

Comparing the Area 12 and 20 results from 2015 it's easy to imagine same or lower returns which is pretty much a bust for the fishery. Yes, people will still catch em on C/V but the big picture looks grim so far  :-\

We are heading towards the end. It will happen, I've been saying we have 10 more years max.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #496 on: August 23, 2017, 05:31:05 PM »

San Juan is tracking pretty much on par with 2015 while Area 12 has dropped off in the last several days perhaps suggesting the number pinks diverting through Johnstone Strait has  gone down. I heard Puget Sound returns were looking at least as good as forecast -perhaps better. The next 5 or 6 days will tell unless the fish really are late.

I don't believe the Squamish run is late, it's simply depressed.

FWIW I was on the Squamish this morning & fish numbers are down from a week ago. However the Squamish Nation has been harvesting both in the river and in Howe Sound since the 16th.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #497 on: August 23, 2017, 05:40:07 PM »

Was at Squamish early morning. Definitely much less fish than last week. Water was  quite chalky probably due to the high temperature yesterday causing more glacial melt. Tried FC on the way back. It was dead and a ghost down with only a few rods with no fish seen caught nor any risers. That place has been abandoned. Lol.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 05:43:01 PM by Steelhawk »

KarateKick

« Reply #498 on: August 24, 2017, 06:57:27 AM »

Has anyone fished Garry Point Park yet?

Is Garry Point open for catch & release or retention? Or does it follow the same rules as the river?

NothingToSnagAbout

« Reply #499 on: August 24, 2017, 07:15:34 AM »

You guys catching in Squamish, are they still relatively clean, or fairly zombified?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #500 on: August 24, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »

There are photos in the thread above. Yesterday I landed 3 - one was 'grey' with a white belly the other 2 were chrome with sea lice.

up until last week the fish I caught were bright often with lice however it's typical that the number of darker fish goes up as the season wears one.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Ambassador

« Reply #501 on: August 24, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »

Save your gas as there are virtually no fish on the spawning grounds. Shovelnose Creek has 5 fish, Chuck Chuck Creek has 27 fish and the Ashlu has the most of a very poor lot but it is most likely only a few thousand. Last cycle at this time all of those areas were full of spawning fish with tons of fish pouring into those areas daily. Nothing like that this year. The Cheakamus is also very poor with only a very few fish around. The Mamquam has some fish but once again very few in relation to what should be there. Makes me wonder why the pink fishery is even open?
Ah that is really sad. We were up near Shovelnose in 2015 and it was amazing seeing Pinks everywhere doing their thing. I fully agree - why is the Squamish Pink fishery even open for retention still? There are few fish being caught, and I've only seen a handful of zombies/carcasses where I usually would have seen hundreds by now.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Old Blue

« Reply #502 on: August 24, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

I think the only reason it's still open is to keep people off the Fraser seeing as how it's closed while trying to let the Sox and Chinook run the last of the gauntlet .  I still can't believe the Squamish is still open though considering, pretty sad indeed....unless the run is just "still 2 weeks late" hahaha even though we've been hearing that for a month

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #503 on: August 24, 2017, 04:09:45 PM »

Few fresh ones still coming in. But to be realistic, its coming to a close.
Furry creek has slowed down, along with the Squamish. There is fish being caught but nothing comparable to years prior. This time 2 years ago there was pinks coming up the shallows, dead ones, plenty rolling that have been in the river for some period of time. I saw 2 dead ones yesterday in the lower river and went for a walk up higher and only saw 3 carcasses and 2 spawners in a creek that was chalk full of them this time in 2015. Fished the incoming tide from first light to 3pm and it was slow. Few fish here and there, having to work for them and there was plenty of people that went home without touching a fish. No major flurries of hookups when a school comes in.

There have been many many reported days like this from friends over the last few weeks. Not to say we haven't hit schools of fish on the tide change and have a fish on every cast, but its been a game of being there when the fish are all year long. Has been really good some days and some days not, but the numbers just aren't nearly as close to 2015 or years prior. And for a run of fish that usually thrives and fill the spawning channels and the ecosystem around it a little concerning.

bobby b

« Reply #504 on: August 24, 2017, 06:23:56 PM »

Fished the Squamish today from 2-5:30. Saw quite a few fish caught today. The wife and I both got 3 fish...
Still pretty fresh ... didn't  need to keep 2 fish, but we kept a nice fresh buck for dinner.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:51:46 PM by bobby b »

sockeyed

« Reply #505 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »

Does anyone know when the Vedder opened for pink retention in 2015?

My records show the fraser open for rentention of 2 pinks per day on September 5th. Its turning into a waiting game now.  :-[

Tangles

« Reply #506 on: August 25, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »

Can't remember about Vedder but on Sep 5th when Fraser opened I took a limit and released another one in 1.5hrs of fishing. Goes to show we did miss out on a few good days before that. Test nets were saying the same.
This year might be even later opening and thus spoiling it for most of the peak run in Lower Fraser....all because you can catch a bloody sockeye on a pink spoon in tidal Fraser, rrrright - Thanks DFO!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:59:04 AM by Tangles »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #507 on: August 25, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »

In the 90s there were a couple of cycles when the Fraser was closed after Labour Day through to early October to protect interior coho. There was at least one season when only the Harrison below the train bridge was open for pinks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #508 on: August 25, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »

In the 90s there were a couple of cycles when the Fraser was closed after Labour Day through to early October to protect interior coho. There was at least one season when only the Harrison below the train bridge was open for pinks

2001 actually, the pink salmon fishery never opened in the Tidal Fraser River that season.

Tangles

« Reply #509 on: August 25, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »

The nets will surely be taking theirs while we sit and watch from the sidelines.