Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Run 2017  (Read 259091 times)

rln

• I'm a llama!
Re: Pink Run 2017
« Reply #450 on: August 20, 2017, 09:03:35 PM »

It may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but this years return to both the Squamish system and the Indian river where predicted by some within dfo to be on the low side due to the 4 or 5 gravel moving high water events that happened after the last cycle's pinks spawned. It looks like this prediction is coming true.
Just hope we don't get any major high water events again this coming fall and winter

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #451 on: August 20, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »

people actually catching stuff or not?

Ambleside is pretty much dead since the rain a week ago. Whatever little fish have all gone up the river since then. It's a waste of time to hit the beach for current set of tides.

bluenoser

« Reply #452 on: August 21, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »

I've been to Squamish 3 times over the past 10 days and its a depressing fishery this year but very low returns are not a specific problem to our rivers. I was in Deception Pass over the weekend and the beaches usually lined with anglers were empty with no boats in the Pass either. Holliday Sports in Burlington told me salmon fishing is closed for almost all Rivers In the North East this year and also closed in the salt except for 1 hatchery Chinook...no pinks or coho allowed even in the salt.

Bluenoser

am3ience

« Reply #453 on: August 21, 2017, 08:47:45 AM »

Ambleside is pretty much dead since the rain a week ago. Whatever little fish have all gone up the river since then. It's a waste of time to hit the beach for current set of tides.

Man that sucks, so the only spots for salmon right now are Squamish and maybe FC? Nothing in the Fraser Valley?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #454 on: August 21, 2017, 09:00:04 AM »

Man that sucks, so the only spots for salmon right now are Squamish and maybe FC? Nothing in the Fraser Valley?

Best odds for nice bright Pinks in the Fraser Valley is at the Superstore. No limits - lowest costing Salmon per catch right now. Please be cautious with your backcast as shopping carts and old ladies are easy to hook.

Already cleaned and on ice for you.

If you want to exercise your flyrod, go to the Vedder and start casting.

am3ience

« Reply #455 on: August 21, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »

Best odds for nice bright Pinks in the Fraser Valley is at the Superstore. No limits - lowest costing Salmon per catch right now. Please be cautious with your backcast as shopping carts and old ladies are easy to hook.

Already cleaned and on ice for you.

If you want to exercise your flyrod, go to the Vedder and start casting.

can't spincast or float bait the Vedder? I don't know how to flyfish :(

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #456 on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:45 AM »

Fished the Squamish yesterday for a couple of hours. Saw less than 10 fish hooked between the 50+ guys up and down river of me. Was very slow. I managed to hook one but lost it.

Beautiful day to be out, though!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #457 on: August 21, 2017, 09:43:15 AM »

can't spincast or float bait the Vedder? I don't know how to flyfish :(

Who says you can't spincast or baitcast in the Vedder?

I was talking about flycasting in the Superstore. :o

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #458 on: August 21, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »

The Area 12 Seine has reported some pretty low catches of pink in the last 4 days.  If the situation doesn't improve, it's probably going to be more of a hiking trip than fishing.

cdjk123

« Reply #459 on: August 21, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »

Checked out the Vedder Canal today and yesterday. Not a fish in sight. Totally barren. I've seen a few guys out, but no reports at all.
Water is very clear, so any fish silhouettes or rolls should have been visible. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:25:41 PM by cdjk123 »

Ambassador

« Reply #460 on: August 21, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »

Tough fishing this season for sure. Been skunked a couple times, but finally landed a nice big hen on Sunday around 9am fresh with sea lice - but boy was it slow otherwise across the whole bar. Only saw 2 other guys get into one all morning. An RCMP member and a couple others with official looking vests were out - but seemed to be just watching and waiting for people to land one (they were waiting a while and left disappointed).

Was planning on taking a drive way up the Squamish to the spawning grounds to see what is up, but got called into work and couldn't make it. Anyone been up there to see if any have made it?

Spent some time watching one of the Great Blue Herons. He was doing his best to swallow a dead fish to no avail (not used to such large fish  :P ), then saw a live one swimming by and got super excited, opened his wings, and pranced towards it. Here is a shot of him hypnotized by the challenge of taking this dinner on.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #461 on: August 21, 2017, 06:18:57 PM »

Was planning on taking a drive way up the Squamish to the spawning grounds to see what is up, but got called into work and couldn't make it. Anyone been up there to see if any have made it?

Save your gas as there are virtually no fish on the spawning grounds. Shovelnose Creek has 5 fish, Chuck Chuck Creek has 27 fish and the Ashlu has the most of a very poor lot but it is most likely only a few thousand. Last cycle at this time all of those areas were full of spawning fish with tons of fish pouring into those areas daily. Nothing like that this year. The Cheakamus is also very poor with only a very few fish around. The Mamquam has some fish but once again very few in relation to what should be there. Makes me wonder why the pink fishery is even open?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #462 on: August 21, 2017, 07:10:45 PM »

Save your gas as there are virtually no fish on the spawning grounds. Shovelnose Creek has 5 fish, Chuck Chuck Creek has 27 fish and the Ashlu has the most of a very poor lot but it is most likely only a few thousand. Last cycle at this time all of those areas were full of spawning fish with tons of fish pouring into those areas daily. Nothing like that this year. The Cheakamus is also very poor with only a very few fish around. The Mamquam has some fish but once again very few in relation to what should be there. Makes me wonder why the pink fishery is even open?
May be it should be closed.  Looks like the 2019 run is in jeopardy.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »

May be it should be closed.  Looks like the 2019 run is in jeopardy.

Nostradamus  :o

Pinks will be here in September with the handful of Chum.

Coho in October.

Followed by three Steelhead in January.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »

Spent some time watching one of the Great Blue Herons. He was doing his best to swallow a dead fish to no avail (not used to such large fish  :P ), then saw a live one swimming by and got super excited, opened his wings, and pranced towards it. Here is a shot of him hypnotized by the challenge of taking this dinner on.

saw one swallow a dead pink on the Vedder in 2013 - I was amazed it was able to choke it down without suffocating.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 07:20:47 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.