Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: canning  (Read 8123 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
canning
« on: September 27, 2004, 04:05:34 PM »

howdy all, I am looking for a bit of info on canning fish.  Anyone ever do it?  I did some a few days back and it is very good, but I would like to hear some other recipes.

Mine was:

1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp ketchup
fill quart jar with fish chunks (fillet, and skin removed) but I left the skin on and bones.
cook 90 min at 10lb

Anyways, it came out looking very different, and tastes excellent.

Jon

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: canning
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 04:07:21 PM »

I use a pinch of salt, vinegar, and a touch of liquid smoke.

gumboots

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 06:50:32 PM »

Have been canning smoked fish for alot of years, this is whati usually do.
          Fillet fish into chunks,removing the backbone
          Brine it overnight
          rinse and pat dry
         Smoke it for  3 hours
 Bring it in and remove the skin, skin just peels of easily. Hand pack  the fish into  1/2  pint jars leaving about  1'' headspace. Hint, Quarts are too large too consume. Pint size is fine.but  1/2 pints are great. if not enough , open another one .....no waste.
              (1) add a dash of liquid smoke
               (2) opt.    1/8 fresh Scotch bonnet or 1/8 fresh habanero pepper......for those who like some heat

Pressure cook it for min.  100 min.     .........#10 pressure
     Have tried many other ingredients, but notice the smoke and canning process sorta kills the flavour.
                 turn off the heat, let canner cool till the pressure is safe to open ... listen for the jars to seal..... pop, pop, double check to make sure they are sealed... tap the lids and listen.....label and date them.

Goes great on pastas,salads, sandwiches,crackers, snacks, party traysas a smoked salmon mousse and whatever your heart desires....right out of the jar with the almighty fork.

Smoked  canned salmon....... Yummy in my tummy  !!

P.s.     Great for gifts, make sure you get your jars back, as it can get very expensive when you are giving away lots..  ENJOY  !!
   more info.   p.m. me.   

Curly

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 11:25:24 AM »

For pint jars,
     1 Tbs Coarse salt
     1 Tbs Vinegar
     1 Tbs Butter (optional for flavour)
My next batch I,m going to ditch the butter for the dash of liquid smoke as some of you have tried, sounds good!
The canning process is much the same as the rest of you.
Gumboots, your recipe is on my "must try" list!
Curly

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 11:12:26 PM »

i like canning smoked trout. i started out hard smoking and canning all the trout but it was a very labour intensive routine (brine, dry, smoke, can.)
now i simply go through that process with a few smaller fish, cut up the bigger ones raw to fit in the jars and place one-two smaller pieces of hard smoke in the middle of the nonsmoked trout pieces. i can everthing except for the fins, guts and head. also add a little olive oil and sea salt.  less work and just as effective. 

if you are interested in some of my recipes let me know. :)

also, i just recently got a hold of an old tin canner. has anyone used one of these old canners before? thought i would start canning and making my own label for gifts. ???

fishingbuddha
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!