Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a fish be too fresh?  (Read 16516 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Can a fish be too fresh?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »

This is dead on

Its very similar to how allot of whole foods that need oils and moisture to settle in to the fibers and taste better after a short "rest" period (rice, some cereals, steaks, turkey). Fish is a very sensitive meat that is easy to not cook properly(my fish has been a victim of me getting distracted by an drink from time to time) and most people don't experience the "too fresh" effect because we have travel time, waiting till dinner time, marinate time etc.

Interesting that I have never experienced this despite enjoying many "shore lunches" with fish killed and cooked immediately.

The FDA says you need to store fish in a regular freezer (-20C) for a minimum of 7 days to ensure parasite destruction, but hey, it's your brain.

This is only if you are going to eat it raw (sushi or Salmon tartare).
Not all those who wander are lost

greese30

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »

wow -- learn something new every day.  i've never given thought to letting the fish age like i do my big game animals.  i suppose in a way it is the same...

masutheakita

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

I wonder if this applies to all types of fish/cooking methods.

I've had rock cod in Chinese restaurants that were out of a live tank before serving and the meat was firm and delicious.

grease line

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 11:11:18 PM »

I agree that day or two old fish is better than fresh, especially if eating it raw.

A guy I knew in Tasmania would hang his browns in a wire-mesh box for 4 or 5 days before eating them raw. Like butter!

Oilcruzer

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »

I have never heard of or had problems with filleting a fish in rigor mortis.  But all my fish rest on ice for a couple hours before i filet them  Maybe the second part of that is...

Dont filet in rigor mortis, .....If making sushi.
? ???

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »

Interesting that I have never experienced this despite enjoying many "shore lunches" with fish killed and cooked immediately.

This is only if you are going to eat it raw (sushi or Salmon tartare).

Note that frozensalmon specifically said thaw then eat (no cooking). That is what I was referring to.

StillAqua

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »

I spent a summer back in the 70's working on a salmon troller out of Ucluelet and we ate coho or small springs almost every day. Skipper taught us to clean and ice the fish we were going to eat until they were stiff so that you could hold them horizontally by the tail without "drooping". then we put them in the galley fridge and we'd scale, fillet and eat the ones that had lossened up and started "drooping again" (1-2 days). He said that was when the meat was properly aged. I haven't always followed that advice but in my experience it does yield a better texture if you cook it at just after rigor fades.