Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: VersiTip or not?  (Read 2753 times)

Craig

VersiTip or not?
« on: May 01, 2014, 11:55:03 AM »

I have a #5 rod and a floating line. I need a sinking line but was thinking of maybe getting two sinking lines one intermediate and one full sink. The sinking lines are for trolling with my daughter and I know one of the places we want to try the fish are down lower.

Do I need two rates of sinking line and is the VersiTip a good way to get what I need?

Thanks
Craig

whereismyfloat

Re: VersiTip or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:52:05 PM »

do you ever anchor up or  do you mostly troll?

Craig

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:48:30 PM »

I am pretty much brand new to fly fishing and only have one year of experience for gear fishing. So far I like everything fishing I have done.

I intend to anchor as well as fish in rivers/streams.

Daguru

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:39:29 AM »

I would use a fast full sink line for troling, versi tips and sink tips tend to ride up when trolled.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »

Full sink lines are generally a better choice for stillwater fishing while sink tips better for most stream fishing. Get a clear intermediate and either a type 3 or 4. You'll want to troll very slowly for the most part and heavier lines will sink too deeplyin most cases.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Craig

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

Thanks for the advice I will grab full sink line instead of the VersiTip.

whereismyfloat

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:08:51 AM »

yes,
agree with comments above;

versatips are more useful for rivers and streams in my mind. as you move around on the river, you hit different water conditions and can adapt with a versatip.

I'd buy committed lines for stillwaters and depending on what way you choose to fish, acquire the proper line. For trolling, remember the line rides up in the water so even deep sink lines aren't getting down that far.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »

Only time I can think where a versatip may be useful on a lake is casting/stripping in the shallows using baitfish patterns for large predatory fish or something along the same strategy of fly presentation however you can buy a designated line like the "ghost tip" if you do this type of fishing enough. proper full line will cast nicer than a versatip and you don't have the loop/loop junction between dry line and tip

that being said - my dad uses a versa tip on the lakes but only because its also his river trout rod. I have only ever seen him use a sink tip 1 time on a lake and he used the clear tip slowly working a leech in the shallows
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/