Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buntzen Lake  (Read 2441 times)

jimmywits

Buntzen Lake
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »

Has anyone been fishing in Buntzen lately, any info would be appreciated.

jon5hill

Re: Buntzen Lake
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:16:52 AM »

A the intrepid buntzen lake fishermen. What info would you like? I've fished that lake ruthlessly since the beginning of the year.

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:23:49 PM »

A the intrepid buntzen lake fishermen. What info would you like? I've fished that lake ruthlessly since the beginning of the year.
Hi there, I too have fished it all year untill the water got to 20c when I took a break. I was wondering if it's producing at all, and if so, is it still all about green offerings(I Flyfish)?
Thank You.
p.s.  is this by any chance Paul?

jon5hill

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »

No, my name is Jon, I fish from the dock on the east side of the lake nearest the dog park. I float fish usually but have used my belly boat and used flies there before as well. My preferred fly is a golden bead dark green wooly bugger on full sink line on fluorocarbon leader. I've also used nymph patterns with strips of brown/red rabbit fur with great success. I used a small olive leech once and hooked into several fish. I fished right through the summer there, and I came away with fish nearly every trip. The last time I got a 17 inch rainbow off the dock on the east side using powerbait worms and going about 18 feet down.

jimmywits

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »

No, my name is Jon, I fish from the dock on the east side of the lake nearest the dog park. I float fish usually but have used my belly boat and used flies there before as well. My preferred fly is a golden bead dark green wooly bugger on full sink line on fluorocarbon leader. I've also used nymph patterns with strips of brown/red rabbit fur with great success. I used a small olive leech once and hooked into several fish. I fished right through the summer there, and I came away with fish nearly every trip. The last time I got a 17 inch rainbow off the dock on the east side using powerbait worms and going about 18 feet down.
Thanks for the info, I am surprised it has held up that well through the heat of the summer and that it is not fished out as stocking ended in early July. Also a 17 incher is a nice fish congrats. I have caught a 17 and a 20 in Sasmat Lake, but nothing that big in Buntzen yet. I fish in a small custom white boat, see you up there some time.
regards   Jimmywits

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 02:35:41 PM »

i know this topic has been dead for a while but i thought i would chip in my experience. last weekend, i went trolling there in the morning with a ford fender and wedding ring (plus a worm  ;D) and hooked a small 10 inch kokanee just out from the dock. an hour and a bit later, i landed a 13 inch rainbow. so they are biting again, just slowly...

jimmywits

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:20:04 AM »

Went up there yesterday and the water was still 18 degrees C. Trolled all the favorite fly's through all my hot zones and only landed one fish! Took the temp again as I was on my way in and it had climbed to 19 degrees C. We are still a couple of weeks away from good daytime fishing. They are closing the gates now at 7 o'clock which is too early and opening at  8 o'clock in the morning which is not early enough, however I certainly understand why they do so.(it's anti goonery tactics)