Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fall Spring run  (Read 30173 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Fall Spring run
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 04:31:22 PM »

His opinion is his opinion but its not relevant. If he would have read all my replies he would understand the point I am trying to make which is if barfishing is producing just as much why would you snag fish. I have just asked questions, I have not really debated anything. I am very curious why one would choose snagging over getting a fish to bite if you can achieve the same results.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 04:54:59 PM »

Let me finish the line of questioning then...

Because HE doesn't have a bar rig?  Because he enjoys actively casting, rather than sitting and waiting?

Two plausible reasons.  Can we let this drop now?  ::)

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 04:58:44 PM »

His opinion is his opinion but its not relevant. If he would have read all my replies he would understand the point I am trying to make which is if barfishing is producing just as much why would you snag fish. I have just asked questions, I have not really debated anything. I am very curious why one would choose snagging over getting a fish to bite if you can achieve the same results.

People like different methods of fishing! Some float fish, others cast spoons or spinners, some bar fish, others bb. As long as it's legal, who really cares how you want to fish. You getting after someone because you don't like the method they use to catch fish is really lame and none of your business. As for 'selective fishing methods' there is no such thing, almost anyway you fish can catch something that is not desired.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 04:59:20 PM »

Let me finish the line of questioning then...

Because HE doesn't have a bar rig?  Because he enjoys actively casting, rather than sitting and waiting?

Two plausible reasons.  Can we let this drop now?  ::)

I would actually prefer him to answer it as I don't think one should speak for someone else. I am seriously not trying to start anything just want to know. Cant someone be curious without being accused of starting trouble? A bar rig costs $1.99.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2005, 05:01:12 PM »

People like different methods of fishing! Some float fish, others cast spoons or spinners, some bar fish, others bb. As long as it's legal, who really cares how you want to fish. You getting after someone because you don't like the method they use to catch fish is really lame and none of your business. As for 'selective fishing methods' there is no such thing, almost anyway you fish can catch something that is not desired.

I am not getting after anyone. I am just asking questions or is it a crime to ask questions now? You people that keep questioning me are the ones that are starting any type of conflict. Why doesnt everyone just leave it alone and let him answer it for himself.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 05:11:24 PM »

Don't expect a reply when you start the question by implying the individual is a snagger.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:16:15 PM by DragonSpeed »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 05:16:38 PM »

Don't expect a reply when you start the question by implying the inidivudla is a snagger.

Good point. I'll pose it this way. If you are bottom bouncing please answer the previous questions I had asked. Just to appease the majority here I will keep his reply to myself. Even if I don't agree with what he has to say I wont reply. I am just curious.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

scales

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2005, 10:31:27 PM »

Sorry I could not respond any earlier to some post due to business function all afternoon/evening.  Just as well if I was free I would be down at the river!  Eddie99-I fished many of years with a bar rig and found the fishing gears too heavy to enjoy playing the fish and further more the coho catches were higher using this method.  Kind of reminds me of Halibut fishing, just haul them in they say :-[.  With BB (will not debate) as long as the law permits this method then I am game with it.  BB is an art form in certain respects which allows you to control your drifts and depth.  DS is right,  I do enjoy actively casting.  Just to end this I do fish with law enforcement personal and have been checked by CO while Sockeyes were closed without any incidences.  The list can go on with the discussions I have over the years with COs but I wont.  Just enjoy what resources we are given and respect the land that we use.   ;D

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2005, 10:45:06 PM »

Just cuz the law says "THIS" doesn't mean that "THIS" is right and the values of society are not necessarily determined by the said "laws" or "regulations" that in place at the time--they are not static and are subject to change and in this time of need for conservation and the need for selective fishing methods, I think we are within 5 years of the end of "flossing" as it is called. As for the flossing debate, either way, I am not going to defend nor chastize any method of fishing, but I take pride in knowing that I fish the way I do which is conservation minded, and species selective.

Either way, flossing or not, people will sometimes follow the black letter of the law cuz they can, and as long as the courts decide certain things, there will always be followers right or wrong with their moral defense being "the law" as it states.

So, in order to get this flossing debate over with, my question to the thread is "I am going to go BAR FISHING next week for a day while I am on vacation and I would like recommendations on bars to fish away from people on the more popular bars like Peg Leg etc...can someone recommend a bar that I should go to fish which is less fished than the bulk of others? I would like to fish no further than Chilliwack.

Thank You.

by the way, let's let anyone fish the way they want as long as the regulations say it is legal, then great, otherwise, let's let people cower under the cover of the law which inadequately covers the conservation concerns of the day and future.
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2005, 11:34:52 PM »

Eddie, you don't ask a question - you just raised an accusation by implying all BBers are snaggers.  Your intent to belittle or humiliate BBers are quite obvious by repeatedly using the term 'snagging'.  DFO does not ticket people BBing, and so for DFO they do not interpret flossing/lining as snagging, as compared to the natives way of snagging with treble hooks, or to those individuals snagging pinks intentionally in the lower Fraser with a big sideway swing.  BBers aim to hook the fish in the mouth, not the body as real snaggers will do, particularly the under-belly.  Very few fish on the Fraser bars are hooked in the under-belly.

BBing in a high form allows the fishers to map out the river bottom as if they are touching it by their hands.  Good BBers can read the Fraser flow to determine the travel path & the sitting holes of the mighty springs.  Many people can bounce aimlessly, but only selected few can consistently produce one or multiple spring hookups in a day.  Many also master the skill enough to avoid unnecessary hookups with sockeyes.  With the water clearing, I personally saw many springs hooked squarely inside the mouth.  What make someone so sure that these springs don't bite a well-presented wool by BBing on the Fraser?

Let's show some respect in other fishers' choice to legal fishing methods and we will have less contention and more unity.  Scales made this unselfish post to inform others to go out & enjoy a strong run of springs. Nice guy.  That is all to it.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 12:31:48 AM by funfish »

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2005, 12:01:36 AM »

I know that I myself have gone out boucing throughout this summer, and although there were a few people snagging fish, this was not intenional.  After a few pointers, these poor people around me were at least trying to use this method effectively. (BB that is).  I personally have spent alot of time on the rivers trying to learn how to aviod snagging fish at all costs.  I have become very affective at this.  You don't need a 25 foot leader to catch a fish BBing.  All you need to know is were to cast , at what angle to cast, and when is the right time to set the hook.  I did not snag one fish using these simple guidlines, and I never used  a leader longer than 10 feet. 
  So please lay-off the bbers. I am one of them and I like to think that with enough time and effort everyone can use this method without harming any fish by snagging.
  Also I got my full limit of salmon every time I went out. Whether it was spring sockeye or pink.  So using this method properly actually does work in my opinion. :P :P
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 12:51:44 AM »

i own a fishing manual called  A GUIDE TO FRESH AND SALTWATER FISHING by George S. Fichter published in 1965.  it's a 'how to' guide that lists and describes the many fish species of the western hemisphere. in it also describes and intructs the many techniques of fishing.
interestingly, bottom bouncing is one of the techniques listed and it is described ......

"as a type of jigging in which the lure or sinker is allowed to bump the bottom and raise a puff of sand or mud. this method is very effective with bucktail jigs and also works well in bottom fishing with natural baits. the commotion stirs fish to strike....." then it goes on to illustrate how the line is manipulated either from a boat or from shore, using a motorized movement, or using the drift of the current.

irrefutably, this method is a legitimate way of fishing that has been practiced for many years and should not be confused with any illegal activities. further more, it states "that the commotion stirs fish to strike".  i believe this to be true because i've bb with 2 ft leaders and managed to hook onto springs (on the fraser).  i've also used this method to seek out fish (like rockfish and lingcod) hiding in crevasses and under water channels of the sunshine coast.  imagine trying to floss the chuck...don't think so ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 07:17:57 AM »

Eddie, you don't ask a question - you just raised an accusation by implying all BBers are snaggers.  Your intent to belittle or humiliate BBers are quite obvious by repeatedly using the term 'snagging'.  DFO does not ticket people BBing, and so for DFO they do not interpret flossing/lining as snagging, as compared to the natives way of snagging with treble hooks, or to those individuals snagging pinks intentionally in the lower Fraser with a big sideway swing.  BBers aim to hook the fish in the mouth, not the body as real snaggers will do, particularly the under-belly.  Very few fish on the Fraser bars are hooked in the under-belly.

BBing in a high form allows the fishers to map out the river bottom as if they are touching it by their hands.  Good BBers can read the Fraser flow to determine the travel path & the sitting holes of the mighty springs.  Many people can bounce aimlessly, but only selected few can consistently produce one or multiple spring hookups in a day.  Many also master the skill enough to avoid unnecessary hookups with sockeyes.  With the water clearing, I personally saw many springs hooked squarely inside the mouth.  What make someone so sure that these springs don't bite a well-presented wool by BBing on the Fraser?

Let's show some respect in other fishers' choice to legal fishing methods and we will have less contention and more unity.  Scales made this unselfish post to inform others to go out & enjoy a strong run of springs. Nice guy.  That is all to it.

I said I wouldnt respond to scales and I wont. I will respond to you however. What you just said about BB is snagging. You are "snagging" the fish in the mouth. Whats the difference of snagging it in the mouth or in the belly? Its just that it makes it legal and thats the only difference. The fish are not biting your wool so dont get me started on the art of BB becasue their is no art. Its just perfecting a way in which you can snag the fish in the mouth and thats the bottom line. Let not turn this into a snagging debate as that's not what I intended it for. I got my answer from scales and thats all I wanted. Anyone thinking that BB is not snagging is just fooling himself. I wont be responding to anyone else that wants to debate this since I have already heard it all.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 07:43:20 AM »

Springs bite in the river? 

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 08:15:12 AM »

I said I wouldnt respond to scales and I wont. I will respond to you however. What you just said about BB is snagging. You are "snagging" the fish in the mouth. Whats the difference of snagging it in the mouth or in the belly? Its just that it makes it legal and thats the only difference. The fish are not biting your wool so dont get me started on the art of BB becasue their is no art. Its just perfecting a way in which you can snag the fish in the mouth and thats the bottom line. Let not turn this into a snagging debate as that's not what I intended it for. I got my answer from scales and thats all I wanted. Anyone thinking that BB is not snagging is just fooling himself. I wont be responding to anyone else that wants to debate this since I have already heard it all.

eddie99,  however method you are fishing --if you set the hook then you are snagging the fish on the mouth.  There is no difference as far as the fish and the law is concern.  However, the problem that I see is that some fisherman does not know the art or technique on how to properly do it and they are body hooking the fish.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor