Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest On Cohen  (Read 12978 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Latest On Cohen
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:28 AM »

At last we have someone else saying the damage farms are doing, waiting for a response from the boys, Abby, Dave, SS,The Bass, etc. I wonder how they will digest this report, maybe they are working on it now. ::)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/31/bc-cohen-salmon-report-released.html

Sorry you were waiting awhile for a response from people such as myself; however, seeing as it is Halloween, enjoying it with my 19 month daughter appeared to take more priority over being one of the first to post a hasty response.  To digest a report this long won't be done in one night, but I am sure you digested all you needed to know in a few minutes.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 05:35:45 AM »

Sorry you were waiting awhile for a response from people such as myself; however, seeing as it is Halloween, enjoying it with my 19 month daughter appeared to take more priority over being one of the first to post a hasty response.  To digest a report this long won't be done in one night, but I am sure you digested all you needed to know in a few minutes.
This will help you digest part of it. ;D ;D
http://thecanadian.org/item/1791-video-justice-cohen-gets-tough-on-fish-farms-inquiry-sockeye-report-released-damien-gillis

StillAqua

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »

I hope everyone takes the time to at least read the recommendations section and not rely on special interest bloggers for their opinions.

I like the report and recommendations...they take a balanced and precautionary approach, come to the correct supportable conclusions, and take aim at DFO and the Harper government where they have gone wrong. Cohen also points an indirect spotlight on where political inference has subverted DFO responsibility for its core mandate (aboriginal co-management, aquaculture, habitat managment).

But I fear Harper will largely sweep this under the rug; perhaps picking out areas where they can make further cuts in DFO and ignoring any recommendations that might require restoration of funding to the department. It seems Justice Cohen thinks the same; he recommends an independent body to monitor the government's implementation of his recommendations.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 07:51:25 AM »

I'm not surprised that the feedlots have been a little slow in releasing their spin on the Cohen report. Apparently they are having a difficult time finding anything in the report that supports the propaganda they have been feeding the public over the years......
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »

This kinda sums it up.......

"I therefore conclude that the potential harm posed to Fraser River sockeye salmon from salmon farms is serious or irreversible."

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »

I hope everyone takes the time to at least read the recommendations section and not rely on special interest bloggers for their opinions.

I like the report and recommendations...they take a balanced and precautionary approach, come to the correct supportable conclusions, and take aim at DFO and the Harper government where they have gone wrong. Cohen also points an indirect spotlight on where political inference has subverted DFO responsibility for its core mandate (aboriginal co-management, aquaculture, habitat managment).

But I fear Harper will largely sweep this under the rug; perhaps picking out areas where they can make further cuts in DFO and ignoring any recommendations that might require restoration of funding to the department. It seems Justice Cohen thinks the same; he recommends an independent body to monitor the government's implementation of his recommendations.

Agreed.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »

Complete press conference.
http://youtu.be/qt49I2fadhg

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »

Salmon farm part starts at 13:35.

Glad Cohen sees the problems of FF that we are faced with, not like the minority here. ::)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »

There was "no smoking gun". Of course not, the probability of any single "stressor" being the sole causal agent for the decline was and is infinitesimal. And Yes, the Report did indeed point at a myriad of factors that together most likely worked together in a cumulative effort to create the situation being studied.

Although Cohen did not "rank" these factors according to their level of threat potential, he did make some rather strong statements regarding aquaculture:

"In his three-volume report on the future of the sockeye fishery released Wednesday, Justice Bruce Cohen focuses 11 of his 75 recommendations on the province's salmon-farming industry, addressing issues like government management, the siting of open net-pen farms and the need for more research."

"While Cohen found there was no "smoking gun," no single event or stressor, responsible for the decline between 1992 and 2009, he found Fraser River sockeye faced a "likelihood of harm" from disease and pathogens on farms, especially in the Discovery Islands, located northeast of Campbell River, B.C., between Vancouver Island and the province's mainland."

And yes, he does indeed call for research to begin immediately to determine to what, if any extent the farms pose a problem. Something with which I strongly concur. However he follows by suggesting we follow the Precautionary Principle in this case (something many believe should have been adhered to well before the latest expansion was allowed to occur):

"In the Discovery Islands, the department should not issue any new open net-pen licences, cap production and limit the maximum duration of a licence to one year, starting immediately and at least until Sept. 30, 2020, said Cohen.

If the minister determines open net-pen farms pose more than a minimal risk to Fraser River sockeye, the farms should be ordered to cease operations, he said."

(Above quotes: http://www.globalnews.ca/report+into+decli...5508/story.html )

Which also ties in with his apparent perception that there is more than likely reason for concern here:

"I therefore conclude that the potential harm posed to Fraser River sockeye salmon from salmon farms is serious or irreversible"

All of that said, aquaculture was indeed but one of many factors the Report considers.  And I strongly agree with a poster on another forum: "the findings are a damning indictment of the politicization of the DFO and the lack of adequate funding for it to carry out it's mandate" :

"It is "regrettable" that the government did not wait to see the conclusions of the inquiry before making changes to the federal Fisheries Act, Cohen told the media Wednesday.

"The amendments to the Fisheries Act cause me concern," ... "I find it difficult to avoid the conclusion that the legislative amendments in Bill C-38 lower the standard of protection for Fraser River sockeye salmon."

Contrary to his recommendations to protect salmon habitat, Cohen said the amendments contained in the Conservatives' omnibus budget legislation appear to expand the circumstances where fish habitat can be harmed.

"DFO's first priority must be the health of wild stocks," Cohen said repeatedly during a news conference."

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/canada/sal...5004/story.html

Fisheries and Oceans Canada should no longer be mandated to promote the industry and farmed salmon as a product but should act in accordance with its paramount regulatory objective of conserving wild fish
http://www.globalnews.ca/report+into+decli...5508/story.html

"Former B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen took aim at the federal government Wednesday in his much-anticipated report on the decline of Fraser River sockeye. He said he was “troubled” by recent amendments to the environmental process and the Fisheries Act by Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservative government.

“Many experts have emphasized the importance of protecting fish habitat, promoting biodiversity and adopting ecosystem-based management practices,” said Cohen. “However, the recent amendments to the Fisheries Act appear to be taking (the Department of Fisheries and Oceans) in a very different direction.”

He also noted “concern” over staff cuts in DFO’s Pacific Region habitat management program. The Conservatives cut $79 million, or 5.8 per cent, from DFO’s total budget this year.

In particular, Cohen noted amendments to the Fisheries Act shift emphasis from fish and habitat protection to the protection of fisheries. That change lowers the standard of protection for Fraser River sockeye salmon, Cohen said.

Cohen called on the federal government to properly fund and implement DFO’s own 2005 wild salmon and 1986 habitat policies.

The wild salmon policy is meant to restore and maintain healthy and diverse salmon populations and their habitats “for the enjoyment of the people of Canada in perpetuity.” But Cohen said he has no confidence the policy will ever be implemented without dedicated funding.

Cohen also concluded DFO is not achieving its goal of a net gain in productive fish habitat, or of “no net loss” of habitat, under the 1986 habitat policy."

http://www.vancouversun.com/mobile/busines...7848/story.html

“You can’t have healthy wild fish if you don’t have healthy habitat.”

DFO’s first priority should be the health of the wild stocks and aquaculture should be removed from DFO’s mandate, Cohen recommended.

“When DFO has simultaneous mandates to conserve wild stocks and promote the salmon farming industry, there are circumstances when it finds itself in conflict of interest because of divided loyalties,” he said.

Changes in salmon management are needed and DFO needs to conduct more research as there is a lack of data, the report says.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Report+calls+...7997/story.html

Most who have witnessed DFO's particular form of salmon "management" will obviously agree with Cohen - He makes some rather damning points regarding DFO and the Harpo Government's apparent disregard for the former's mandate and function. And most will also likely concur in that Something MUST Be Done to rectify that situation. I fear however that those two entities are scrambling to pay little more than Lip Service to Cohen's findings, and that his ideal reflected in the below statement will be all but ignored...

“I urge the federal government, in the interests of conserving the iconic species of salmon, to heed my findings and to implement these recommendations,” Cohen said at a news conference. “If implementing the recommendations is delayed, the ongoing threats to the stocks will make remedial action all the more challenging when it does begin.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/mobile/busines...7848/story.html

The government did not commit to implementing any of the recommendations, and Kamp defended the Fisheries Act changes.
"What we think the amendments to the Fisheries Act ... did is allow us to focus on the protection of the fisheries that Canadians value — commercial, recreational and aboriginal fisheries."
  ::)
http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/canada/sal...5004/story.html

In closing this post, I suggest that Cohen is right: DFO NEEDS to be re-vamped, NEEDS to be adequately resourced, NEEDS a Dedicated Focus on Habitat and Science and that the Harpo government NEEDS to stop both reducing the level/competency of our Scientists, and muzzling them when their findings are counter to their own ongoing Agenda.

And while the aquaculture industry represents but one factor in the Report, I suggest Cohen's findings and concerns in this regard are well founded and should be adhered to: Precaution FIRST, Research second, and Reaction Swift should "the minister determine open net-pen farms pose more than a minimal risk to Fraser River sockeye".

Cheers,
Nog

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »

Wonderful post Nog.

Lets see what the 3 or 4 remaining pro FF chaps here have to say now but I think they will soon disappear like the Bass who saw the writing on the wall a few weeks ago. The air has certainly been knocked out of their sails, fittingly on Halloween. ;D ;D ;D

norton

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 06:19:32 PM »

This report judge Cohen  released is all fine and dandy, but will they do anything about it . I wouldn't trust  this conservative government with doing anything. You have to make it an election issue for them to sit up and pay attention.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »

Wonderful post Nog.

Lets see what the 3 or 4 remaining pro FF chaps here have to say now but I think they will soon disappear like the Bass who saw the writing on the wall a few weeks ago. The air has certainly been knocked out of their sails, fittingly on Halloween. ;D ;D ;D
Sorry Chris, nothing has changed other than taxpayers are out 26 million dollars.  The recommendation was more research; go figure.  Wonder what that 26 m could have done for habitat restoration or further sockeye physiology studies relating to warmer Fraser River water temperatures? 

I know you will not read the report; why bother as you long ago decided your stance on this issue ...  so do what you do so well; pick the parts you like and post away ;D.

Good comment StillAqua.

brownmancheng

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »

This report judge Cohen  released is all fine and dandy, but will they do anything about it . I wouldn't trust  this conservative government with doing anything. You have to make it an election issue for them to sit up and pay attention.

Well I agree, it's all about public pressure. I havent seen much media coverage; I have seen more about the us election on Canadian news ???

dnibbles

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »

Salmon farm part starts at 13:35.

Glad Cohen sees the problems of FF that we are faced with, not like the minority here. ::)

Seriously? Encouraging people to fast forward in a non-source news report to the part you want them to see? C'mon! I expected better of you!

I've managed to make my way through about 200 pages so far. A few on this thread (Nog, StillAqua) have made good points. Hopefully the rest of you aren't so myopic that you remain fixated on the one and only thing you had already made your mind up on ages ago.

The most obvious thing to me to come out of the recommendations is that Fraser sockeye are dealing with MANY issues. Keeping all the focus on just one of them is doing a disservice to the conservation of these fish (my point for months on here).

I like the approach Cohen took with the fish farms. Gather the data that will be required to make informed assessments, and go from there. Employ the precautionary approach (not the irrational anti-everything approach), and gather the data to make informed, conservative decisions. I think my Diet Dr Pepper came out my nose when he recommended DFO relinquish its role as the regulatory authority for aquaculture. Remind me who it was that brought the court case about that had that file transferred from the Province to the Feds????

Cohen's take on the co-management structure that DFO has employed was an eye-opener. Speaking as someone who has seen the warts of the current system from the inside, I agree 100% with his take on that (trying to satisfy everyone, and satisfying no one) although it will be a difficult pill to swallow when it comes to public perception on that one.

I found several of his recommendations and assessments to be quite flawed and inaccurate, or at least out of date. Much of the evidence he heard that did not pertain directly to Fraser sockeye seemed to steer his recommendations in areas where it was not applicable. His comments regarding enhanced sockeye creating direct harvest risks for wild fish was puzzling to me. Yes, for many years harvest of Weaver Creek sockeye decimated other co-migrating runs (like Cultus), but this hasn't happened for years .This is definitely an issue with many other salmon species; Fraser sockeye, it's a non-issue (in my opinion).

Hopefully a fraction of the $26M will be made available to actually implement some of the recommendations. Many of the things he recommends are already occurring and have been for a while, albeit slowly (WSP implementation, fish health monitoring etc).

I'll dive back into it this weekend. I'd like to actually read it first hand instead of formulating my opinion based on a short sound byte from a partisan blog.