Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Latest On Cohen  (Read 12977 times)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Latest On Cohen
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »

For those that are planning on attending, the conference has been pushed back until 1:00 pm.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/10/31/cohen-commission-report-fraser-river-sockeye-decline_n_2048260.html

"Cohen recommends a 12-year freeze on the controversial practice of net-pen salmon farming around the Discovery Islands, on B.C.'s central coast, saying salmon farms have the potential to introduce disease to wild salmon."

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:27:19 PM »

More from the Executive Summary: http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/pdf/FinalReport/CohenCommissionFinalReport_Vol03_04.pdf#zoom=100

Mitigation measures should not be delayed in the absence of scientific certainty. Precautionary measures should focus on filling the knowledge
gaps and enabling DFO to adapt mitigation measures to new scientific information. It is appropriate to take measures to prevent any risk
of serious harm from increasing. For that reason, I recommend that there should be no increase to net-pen salmon farm production in the Discovery
Islands until September 30, 2020. I have chosen that date because DFO should by then be able to adequately assess the likelihood of net-pen salmon
farms causing serious harm to Fraser River sockeye. If, by that date, DFO cannot confidently say the risk of serious harm is minimal, it should then
prohibit all net-pen salmon farms from operating in the Discovery Islands. If DFO is satisfied before September 30, 2020, that the risk is more than
minimal, it should order a stop to net-pen salmon farming at that earlier date.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

At last we have someone else saying the damage farms are doing, waiting for a response from the boys, Abby, Dave, SS,The Bass, etc. I wonder how they will digest this report, maybe they are working on it now. ::)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/31/bc-cohen-salmon-report-released.html

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:50:57 PM »

At last we have someone else saying the potential and possible damage farms are doing, waiting for a response from the boys, Abby, Dave, SS,The Bass, etc. I wonder how they will digest this report, maybe they are working on it now. ::)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/31/bc-cohen-salmon-report-released.html

Fixed it for ya Chris!  I like what I heard about the need for funding for research ( Andrew,  more money coming, but you knew that ...)   I also appreciate that Mr. Cohen suggests this research should be be funded for another 2 sockeye cycles, 8 years... ; what do you think the chances are of that happening?   

Still haven`t had time to read the entire document ... have you?

norton

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »

Absolute waste of money. 26 million to be precise. What about existing fish farms that are still effecting the environment . Thanks for nothin.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »

Fixed it for ya Chris!  I like what I heard about the need for funding for research ( Andrew,  more money coming, but you knew that ...)   I also appreciate that Mr. Cohen suggests this research should be be funded for another 2 sockeye cycles, 8 years... ; what do you think the chances are of that happening?   

Still haven`t had time to read the entire document ... have you?

Getting desperate that for sure when you change what someone else has written, that's bad but shows the gang is now grasping at straws to stoop that low.. ::) ???  Working close to the door again. ;D ;D ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:02 PM »

:D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »

Pretty well says to the bad old practice fish farmers " don't let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya". ;D Time to do it another safer way.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »

It took a $26 million dollar study to say what we, (using a bit of common sense) have been saying all along. Hopefully Cohen's recommendations are implemented.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »

Just curious, has any of you actually read the Findings chapter of the report?

jon5hill

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »

I am reading through the entire report, yep.

I am loving the sounds of crickets coming from the apologists.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 10:45:55 PM »

Which ones in particular Jon?