Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bushwacking: Lost,Cold & Getting Dark!!  (Read 2044 times)

CohoOn!

Bushwacking: Lost,Cold & Getting Dark!!
« on: November 18, 2005, 10:01:24 PM »

Just this past week I was getting ready to head back out of the bush at sun down and I heard what i thought at first was a sea gull off in the distance then after some time I realized it was a guy shouting "hello" at the top of his lungs. Took me about 20 minutes to track him down and he was completely lost without a compass heading in the wrong direction and it was almost dark. Temps are dropping to near zero at night in the valley these days and heading off the main runs should be taken very very seriously as a night in the woods this time of year could cost you your life. Not to mention I've come across plenty signs of bears on the move around the rivers now as well. First and foremost bring a compass always when heading to the woods and check your bearing throughout your trip. Second, let someone know when you should be expected back and where you're headed for the day if you plan to bushwack. Third, bring extra warm clothing in a waterproof bag in your napsack &/or an emergency foil blanket  Fourth, a flashlight/headlamp, emergency flare & matches(not that you'll have much luck finding anything to burn).  I have a pay as you go Rogers phone just for on the river because it has much better coverage than Telus but don't rely on it as phones get wet or batteries die and even if it does work could take many hours before you're found if you don't know how far you've wandered off like this guy had. Give yourself plenty of daylight time to get back out especially when the river is up and crossing channels on your way back can be treacherous in the dark. Last but not least remember if lost to always get back to the river if possible and stick with it because if you've headed downstream to begin with then heading back upstream will eventually get you back to safety even if it might not be the most direct way back to your car. I've been lost in the woods once before and believe me it is NO JOKE! Panic can quickly take over rational thinking and make things much worse than they already are. Be prepared!
Have a safe day on the river!
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Bushwacking: Lost,Cold & Getting Dark!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 10:10:43 PM »

Excellent advice

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 10:40:31 PM »

If you get lost with someone and you have enough booze and matches it might not be so bad. ;D
[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 01:24:16 AM »

Good advice CohoOn!. I've done field work before in the tundra (northern Manitoba). Always plan ahead return early and stay safe.
Out in the wild after sundown every where you see looks the same. One can easily get lost in remote camp ground.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 10:35:45 AM »

Great advise cohoOn! I for one have had to bushwack out of spots too many times to count, however, its always from somewhere that I've fished in the past, I'm always with at least one other person and I keep my headlamp in the back of my vest.
Actions speak louder than words.

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 11:19:55 AM »

anybody ever whatch "survivor man" thats an excellent show about surviving in the outdoors.........
My hands smell like fish again.............

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 05:52:54 PM »

Excellent advice.  I once ventured into the wood for a short distance  below the Chehalis hatchery in daylight.  I was gingerly tracking the footprints along the way in and out of the wood.  Even that was quite an experience, knowing I was all alone and bears could appear at any spots along the way.  I don't think I will do that again for a mere fish. You have to be experienced in the wood and well equipped if lost to survive in the cold. No doubt about it.